Hello fellas,

I looking for ways to connect guitar to iPad w/out breaking the bank. I know about Apogee Jam, iRig, etc. But I ALREADY have Presonus AudioBox, and a DI Box, and I was just wondering if perhaps getting a head-phone jack converter, would it work just as well?

Is it NOT recommended for certain reasons?

Would it harm my iPad or guitar, and/or everything in between?

Any other issues I should be aware of? Like clipping, bad impedance, etc.

Thanks!
It won't work well, that's why things like the iRig etc. were built. You're not the only one to ever have this idea...

Spend the $20 FFS!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
You could wire up a box to connect a TRRS 3.5 jack to the DI box and to whatever output you desire.

You would basically have to send the ipad's headphones jack tip to the output tip, the ipad's first ring to the output's ring, the ipad's second ring to the DI line output tip, and every ground in common.
Or you could lift the ground if you have noise problems.

Or if the audiobox is USB class compliant you could get a camera connection kit and use the audiobox to go into and from the ipad.

Using a jack going from the guitar to the ipad wouldn't work at all.
First of all you'd still have to get an audio output from the ipad, and then you'd need to go down a couple notches with the output impedance from the guitar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by Biebsy
Hello fellas,

I looking for ways to connect guitar to iPad w/out breaking the bank. I know about Apogee Jam, iRig, etc. But I ALREADY have Presonus AudioBox, and a DI Box, and I was just wondering if perhaps getting a head-phone jack converter, would it work just as well?

Thanks!

A typical 1/4" to 3.5mm jack adaptor (guitar jack to headphone jack) won't work. There are four contacts in the headphone socket on your iPad, the first two of which are outputs for headphones (left and right), not inputs. Converting the guitar jack to a headphone jack will try to send an input signal into an output contact.

The way iRig and other things like that work is by connecting those two contacts to a headphone output on the iRig device, and then wiring the guitar input to the third contact. The fourth is just a ground connection.

In other words, mono or stereo jack adaptors will fit, but they'll send the signal to the wrong part of the headphone socket in your iPad. You'd need a four pole 3.5mm jack, with the guitar's live/positive signal wired to the third contact or it won't work.

Hope that makes sense..
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
^ wait, read post #3.

ipads don't work with instrument level signals.
You need to put a di box between the guitar and the second ring of the ipad jack.

irig and the apogee jam match impedances other than sending the signal to the right contact, without which you wouldn't hear anything incoming.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 1, 2014,
So basically, just go w/ the iRig.

Perhaps try spam-bots Idea... The AudioBox DOES have a USB connection... Maybe I'll give that a whirl.
Quote by Biebsy
The AudioBox DOES have a USB connection...
Also my printer has a USB connection, though it isn't class compliant.
It's a driver matter - USB class compliant stuff can work with drivers already installed on every device fitted with a USB connector, sometimes with limited functionality.

So, don't get a camera connection kit to discover the thing doesn't work - find out if your audio interface is class compliant with USB whatever-version-it's-fitted-with, better if 1.1 'cause who knows what USB version apple fitted on the camera connection kit.

If you can't find out if it is or not just drop a line or give a call to the presonus customer support, they'll likely be happy (and capable of) helping you.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Biebsy
Hello fellas,

Thanks!

No. There is a huge difference between an Irig and an audio interface.

An Audio Interface is that, a way for your computer to interface with audio.

The Irig is an adapter for your phone, because the headphone socket is secretly a TRRS thing, and an Irig simply is a splitter to make that work.

The input for the phone is good enough alone so you don't need an audio interface, the input will work as the interface.

So get an Irig or an adapter device like it.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Alright guys! I appreciate the help... Basically, go for the iRig, or something like it...

Anything you guys would recommend?
Quote by Biebsy
Alright guys! I appreciate the help... Basically, go for the iRig, or something like it...

Unless there's a cheaper TRRS Y cable thing out there with the correct specifications, Irig.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Biebsy

iRig works, but sound quality isn't ideal. Peavey AmpKit LiNK is similar, perhaps slightly better. iRig HD is significantly better, but quite a bit more pricey.

I've tried (and own) all of the above as well as this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-iur2-usb-audio-midi-interface-for-ipad-mac-and-pc

For convenience and quality, iRig HD

For price, iRig.

For flexibility, the Tascam, if you have an iDevice that's not using iOS 7. (I use it with an iPod touch without problems.)
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 1, 2014,
Seems like Irig is an adapter, and Irig HD is an audio interface, using the USB port to transfer the sound.

I wish Android had proper amp software support. I downloaded an app like Amplitube but the latency is horrendous.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Tempoe
^Eventually they will, Amplitube is pretty meh anyways

The weakness in Android audio processing has been well known for quite some time now, with no real solution in sight. I'm unconvinced that it's a priority that will be addressed any time in the forseeable future.

Edit: I may be wrong. http://liliputing.com/2014/06/google-brings-low-latency-audio-processing-to-android-l.html
Charles Darwin
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Those are indeed interesting, but since the OP was wondering if they could simply plug their guitar directly into an iDevice, given the right 3.5mm jack, I'm betting it's overkill...

You have one of these, right? Have you ever reviewed it?
Charles Darwin
Yeah, I have one, but I haven't had a chance to put it through its paces. No review, no NGD.

YET.

Part of the problem is I might need to actually buy a new iPad2: mine took a freak spill* and it landed on the concrete from @3' up, and it has been...erratic...since then.

* yes, it was in a protective case. It fell while the case was open and caught the top right corner.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Arby911
The weakness in Android audio processing has been well known for quite some time now, with no real solution in sight. I'm unconvinced that it's a priority that will be addressed any time in the forseeable future.

Edit: I may be wrong. http://liliputing.com/2014/06/google-brings-low-latency-audio-processing-to-android-l.html

Yeah I've been reading articles and it says Android 4.1 already has low latency too. I really really want amplitube for the Android. I'm not an Iphone user. I don't plan on being an Iphone user. I'm sure it's great, but I'm not getting an iphone just for 1 app.

I'd kill for Amplitube as a portable amp.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Clay-man
Yeah I've been reading articles and it says Android 4.1 already has low latency too. I really really want amplitube for the Android. I'm not an Iphone user. I don't plan on being an Iphone user. I'm sure it's great, but I'm not getting an iphone just for 1 app.

I'd kill for Amplitube as a portable amp.

Go buy a used iPod touch, you can find them for little of nothing and they work quite well for this sort of thing.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Clay-man
The input for the phone is good enough alone so you don't need an audio interface, the input will work as the interface.
Audio interfaces such as the audiobox though can bring the impedance level from instrumeni (veeeeery high) to line level (fairly low).

Sending an instrument level signal there would resulting in the ipad not getting any usable signal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola