https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi9b660pzu4

I always thought the JCM 900's were really fizzy, but Gary Moore is getting such a good tone here, anyone have any idea how I could get close with a 900?

(Was thinking about one as a back up amp that I wouldn't mind getting stolen in case I was going to do gigs out of town )
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I can get a pretty good Gary Moore tone out of my 900 after I modded it but there is another way to get close quickly - Mk1 Marshall Guv'nor overdrive. Keep the gain down and push it with the Guv'nor. That's the lead tone anyway.

The original recording of Still Got The Blues was a JTM45, and a Guv'nor of course, Gary loved the Guv'nor. The live recordings you see around the traps is a DSL100 - and yes, a Guv'nor.
That looks like a JCM900 Dual Reverb where he's sitting there doing the interview, but it's a DSL in all the live concert footage.

I was playing Still Got the Blues on a 900 Dual Reverb and getting very close with just a Timmy into my modded channel 2. If you mod them they're pretty good. I was cranking the hell out of it too to get it there. The power amp is good, very good.
The mod's not that hard.

What about a Mark III? They're a single channel one. Basically an op-amp boosted JCM800 2203. There's a mod you can do to fix them that is literally just reaching inside with a pair of sidecutters and clipping out a chip. Then just stick a nice overdrive in front for the "second channel." The MkIII is a real sleeper. All they need is one component snipped out.

The SL/X is the best one though. Kickass high gain single channel beast.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 1, 2014,
don't listen to cathbard, he still thinks jimmy page was using a tubescreamer in 1969.

I what with what in the which with who now?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
SIBLY. when he switches pups. you always say he hits a TS.

next you'll say it was a LP.
No, I hit a tubescreamer going into that part, he doesn't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
regardless of the amp...
gary moore could make a marshall ms-2 with a microwave buzzer instead of a speaker sound good.
LOL @ greg
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think it was mainly his LP and any Marshall with overdrive. Last he used JCM2000 DSL stock heads and he still got that tone.
I actually got a guy to play my slightly modded FA-60 Fallen Angel head with LP stock and the lead channel with some delay got very close to Gary's tone.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by diabolical
I think it was mainly his LP and any Marshall with overdrive. Last he used JCM2000 DSL stock heads and he still got that tone.
I actually got a guy to play my slightly modded FA-60 Fallen Angel head with LP stock and the lead channel with some delay got very close to Gary's tone.

I nail his tone every single time, without exception, and perfectly.

I just press "Play"...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
love gary. like many players that have been around for a while gary has had a few different tones. while many concentrate on his newer blues tones I prefer his older stuff. gary's early 80s strat tone is my personal fav and I also really dig his late 70s Thin Lizzy tone. is pend some time working on those with the gear I have (ie almost none of the right stuff).
Quote by diabolical
Not exactly stock, he used 6550 power tubes. The cab was certainly not stock - he ran EVM-12L's. He ran EV's in everything, even the JTM45 he used in the studio.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
IIRC it was his tech that said all his DSL's had 6550's. His cabs definitely had EV's. Pretty sure he even used EV's during his flirt with Soldano.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by monwobobbo
love gary. like many players that have been around for a while gary has had a few different tones. while many concentrate on his newer blues tones I prefer his older stuff. gary's early 80s strat tone is my personal fav and I also really dig his late 70s Thin Lizzy tone. is pend some time working on those with the gear I have (ie almost none of the right stuff).

Amen!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?