Hi everyone!

I would like to know what you guys think I should get. I was going to get a new Boss ME-80 for £219, which I have tried out and really like, but this morning a local cash exchange shop had a Spider IV 30 for £99.99. I haven't tried that model specifically, but I've tried a cheaper Spider before and it sounded very good too.

I play mostly Thrash and Groove metal, although I also like stoner metal, sludge metal and heavier grunge bands.

Please tell me the reasons behind your opinions on what I should get, as it will help me make an informed decision.

Thanks!
Oh, forgot to mention, I play a Pacifica 112V, with a Digitech Hot Head, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby and some Squier 15 watt practice amp from the 80's that couldn't prodce a decent hi-gain distortion to save its' life
Try asking this in the Guitar, Gear, and Accessories forum. The Spider amps are pretty infamous for how bad their tone is. I'm guessing that you're probably fairly inexperienced, and so your ears probably are not at a level to really distinguish good tone from bad yet.

So yeah, no Spider. I just got a Boss ME-80, but I play pedal steel and so I don't use it much for distortion but rather just for chorus, delay, reverb, flanger, etc. All of the basic guitar food groups.

I've played a bit with my 6 string, but it's like... you don't really need to try it to know how it sounds. It basically just sounds like standard Boss distortion pedals (though the MT-2 model does sound better than the real thing... or at least it isn't as tricky to use). Some people really love them; some people don't. For just playing in your room and all it should be pretty passable though, since I'm guessing that you're not looking to record or play serious gigs in the near future.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I used to have the Boss ME50, and always thought the distortions on it sucked. I've also tried a few Boss standalone pedals, and thought the distortion sucked. IMO, Boss are good for other stuff, but avoid for distortion. I've also heard the build quality on their more recent multi effect units isn't as good as the older models.

As you're playing heavier stuff, a Vypyr is probably the best choice starter amp for you.

Alternatively, try getting a decent multi effects unit like the Zoom G5, or maybe a Line 6 POD so you can practice through headphones.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for your advice and for bringing up the Vypyr, as I hadn't ever heard of it. You can play through headphones with the ME-80. I would appreciate it if you could tell me what Vypyr amp you cwould reccomend for a £250 maximum budget.

I was actually looking at the G5, although the Z-pedal put me off. As for the POD, I've heard great stuff about it and would assume the latest model would be ace, as it was getting good reviews at least 15 years back when it was first released; however, I want to buy something that is easily controlled whilst playing, preferably a floor multi FX, as these are the most controllable whilst playing and are good for home and gig use.

Of course, in the rig of my dreams, I would have some customised Ibanez RG or modify my Pacifica with Dimebuckers or EMG 81's, heavier string gauge for D standard/ Drop C played through a Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier, but obviously it ain't gonna happen with my budget.

Thanks for the advice!
Thanks. I'll keep the thread up, but also ask in that other forum you mentioned as well. I didn't know about the infamy surrounding the Spider series, so you mentioning it is really appreciated.

I might be playing gigs with the ME-80, which you assumed I wouldn't be. Now that you have this knowledge, do you reckon it would be any good for small venues?

Thanks!
Quote by supertom1
I might be playing gigs with the ME-80, which you assumed I wouldn't be. Now that you have this knowledge, do you reckon it would be any good for small venues?

Thanks!

It's really more about the distortion. Everything else would definitely be fine. Like Gary said, he thought the distortions sucked. I think they are decent for bedroom playing, but probably not great for gigging other than maybe using an overdrive boost.

On the other hand, many people such as Kurt Cobain used the Boss distortion pedals a lot, and in fact the old HM-2 (which I don't think there is a direct correspondent to on any of the Boss ME pedals) was an integral part of the sound of Swedish death metal. However... that just means they give you a specific sound that you may or may not be able to achieve otherwise, but not necessarily a "good" sound.

Of course, distortion pedals are to varying extents effected by the particular amp, and in your case your amp is not very good. Perhaps it is worth upgrading that instead, since multi-fx pedals tend to be liked for the flexibility and convenience of having all of your mod, delay, and reverb effects all in one rather than the quality of their distortion sounds.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
It's really more about the distortion. Everything else would definitely be fine. Like Gary said, he thought the distortions sucked. I think they are decent for bedroom playing, but probably not great for gigging other than maybe using an overdrive boost.

On the other hand, many people such as Kurt Cobain used the Boss distortion pedals a lot, and in fact the old HM-2 (which I don't think there is a direct correspondent to on any of the Boss ME pedals) was an integral part of the sound of Swedish death metal. However... that just means they give you a specific sound that you may or may not be able to achieve otherwise, but not necessarily a "good" sound.

Of course, distortion pedals are to varying extents effected by the particular amp, and in your case your amp is not very good. Perhaps it is worth upgrading that instead, since multi-fx pedals tend to be liked for the flexibility and convenience of having all of your mod, delay, and reverb effects all in one rather than the quality of their distortion sounds.

Are there any amps that you reccommend using with the ME-80? Which one do you use?
Hi everyone!

I would like to know what you guys think I should get. I was going to get a new Boss ME-80 for £219, which I have tried out and really like, but this morning a local cash exchange shop had a Spider IV 30 for £99.99. I haven't tried that model specifically, but I've tried a cheaper Spider before and it sounded very good too.

I play mostly Thrash and Groove metal, although I also like stoner metal, sludge metal and heavier grunge bands.

Please tell me the reasons behind your opinions on what I should get, as it will help me make an informed decision.

I play a Pacifica 112V, with a Digitech Hot Head, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby and some Squier 15 watt practice amp from the 80's that couldn't prodce a decent hi-gain distortion to save its' life.

I already have this thread running in the New Members forum, where I have been given some helpful information. Someone reccommended I start the thread here, so I did.

Thanks!
You won't see much love for the Spider series around here, they just aren't that good for the money they usually cost.

That being said, it's likely better than what you're using, but the ME-80 and a decent set of headphones is a superior choice.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by theogonia777
It's really more about the distortion. Everything else would definitely be fine.

This sums up Boss's multi effects perfectly for me - the modulations & delays were great, and everything else about it was good. I just didn't like the ODs.

I'm just one guy though, everyone will have a different opinion
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Everyone starts with a Fender frontman, then moves on to a Line 6 Spyder, and then gets a decent amp. You just have to let these things run their course.
Quote by supertom1

I play a Pacifica 112V, with a Digitech Hot Head, Jim Dunlop Cry Baby and some Squier 15 watt practice amp from the 80's that couldn't prodce a decent hi-gain distortion to save its' life.

UPDATE: It's not so much the amp I'm using is of a low quality, it produces a decent crunch/OD; It's just not for heavy styles of playing
Quote by supertom1
Are there any amps that you reccommend using with the ME-80? Which one do you use?

Really, with multi-fx units, if you are not using the distortion, then it should work with any amp, and then it's all a matter of finding the right amp. Again, GG&A could answer all of your questions, and there are also a number of stickied threads there to provide all the basic information for looking for amps.
Quote by supertom1

UPDATE: It's not so much the amp I'm using is of a low quality, it produces a decent crunch/OD; It's just not for heavy styles of playing
If you buy the Spider, it will sound OK at first, but you will slowly (or quickly) start to not like it. The distortion will start sounding muddy, the effects will start to sound fake and digital. I thought it was great at first, but after about a year or so, I got rid of it and got a tube. Get the Boss. The squire amps took pedals pretty good, you will be much happier with it.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Obviously I will be using the ME-80 with headphones on a regular basis if I get it, but do you think it sounds any good through an amp? Any specific amps you reccommend using with it?

Thanks!
I just noticed you might be playing gigs. That puts you in a whole new ball park for your requirements.

You will be best off getting a proper amp, as you're on a low budget something like a Jet City will be good. If you want to stick with modelling, get the Vypyr Tube. Either of those, mixed with your hot head, should get you as heavy as you need and will be good enough for gigging.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
I just noticed you might be playing gigs. That puts you in a whole new ball park for your requirements.

You will be best off getting a proper amp, as you're on a low budget something like a Jet City will be good. If you want to stick with modelling, get the Vypyr Tube. Either of those, mixed with your hot head, should get you as heavy as you need and will be good enough for gigging.

Thanks for the advice. I still want to get the ME-80, although using the Hot Head as a boost pedal wouldn't be a bad idea. Obviously I will need an amp for gigging, so I'll start another thread to ask what amp I should use with the ME-80. Considering I'll be using the ME-80's distortion, I might not need a hi-gain amp, although I might be told otherwise.

Thanks
You almost certainly will be told otherwise

The majority of your tone comes from your amp, so it's always best to get an amp that's good for the sound you want, then just use effects to enhance it.

I'm not expert on properly high gain sounds though (I'm more of a classic rock guy), so I'll duck out of the conversation now
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for all your help and advice! I decided to get the Boss ME-80 for my birthday, and am loving it!

Bye!
Thank you both for your help and advice. I decided to get the ME-80 for my birthday, and am loving it!

Bye!
Quote by QOTSA-SFTD
Everyone starts with a Fender frontman, then moves on to a Line 6 Spyder, and then gets a decent amp. You just have to let these things run their course.

Actually I started with a Marshall AVT then I went on to a Randall.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You can't equate the distortion tones on the ME-80 with the ME-50 anymore than you can equate the G5 to the pre G3 Zoom pedals. I think you made a good choice of the ME-80 over a Spider amp. Have you tried the Freeze on the ME-80 yet? That's my favorite feature on the ME-25.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Actually I started with a Marshall AVT then I went on to a Randall.

I started wth a Korg Px4 and went to a Fender HRD 1x12 Combo.

I WILL get some other amp, someday...

If I could just stop buying guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Merged your two threads, mainly just cause I wanted to see what would happen.

Successfully made this thread way more confusing
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by dannyalcatraz

EVH

EVH

EVH
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by dannyalcatraz

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by MatrixClaw

EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by lemurflames
EVH

EVH

EVH

He plays guitar quite well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
And coming to you soon from the TS - a "what amp?" thread.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Sep 11, 2014,
Quote by MatrixClaw

Yes, your success is genuine.
Quote by fly135
I think you made a good choice of the ME-80 over a Spider amp. Have you tried the Freeze on the ME-80 yet? That's my favorite feature on the ME-25.

Yeah, I'm proud of my choice too. The tones are great!

I tried the freeze function in-store, but I can't really remember it. I'll try it tonight.

Thanks!