In theory, is the 5th always right above the root?
Last edited by rcapilli at Aug 1, 2014,
You mean in a chord? No, they can be in any order.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rcapilli
In theory, is the 5th always right above the root?

If the root note is the lowest note of the chord, the chord is "not inverted". The guitar's tuning allows chords to be formed 1, 3, 5.......and other ways.

The bass note of the chord indicates whether or not the chord is interpreted as being an inversion.

C majoe with E in the bass is the "1st inversion". C major with G in the bass would be the "2nd inversion". To go past 2 inversions, you have to have an "extended chord", 4 or more notes. Technically a V7 chord, with the 7th in the bass, would be the "3rd inversion.

From a practical standpoint, chord inversions can also be referred to as, "voicings", "slash chords", as in C/G, indicating C major with a G as the bass note, and sometimes even as "shapes", which alludes to a moveable chord finger pattern, (of uncertain "inversion").
Last edited by Captaincranky at Aug 1, 2014,