I have a Schecter Hellraiser Special FR C-1 that has a Floyd Rose Special. To get to the point, the floyd rose special is junk. It will not hold tune as soon as I start pulling on the bar. Its been that way since day one. Ive tried numerous times to reset it but it wont hold as soon as I touch that bar. I have the floyd flush with the body of the guitar and everything is as tight as i can possibly get it. So im thinking, since im familiar with the parts and installation (Ive taken several completely apart to clean and put back together),should I upgrade some components to improve its performance. Maybe put a brass block on, new springs, and maybe even replace the little black blocks and the screws that lock the string to the floyd. Do you think this would improve the situation or would I be better off just replacing the whole setup with an Original Floyd? I do not want to get rid of the guitar. Its beautiful and very comfortable. Its just this dang floyd special is making the guitar not gig reliable.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Can't advise you on what to buy, but...

1) Put some chapstick on the knife edges.

2) If the tuning won't go back up after a dive then you can adjust the spring tension so the back of the bridge is higher. This will give the strings more leverage to come back up to tune. However, if it also won't go back down after a pull up then this fix would make that worse.

EDIT: Fixing the italicized above. I should of said if the tuning stays sharp after a pullup. Should of read....

2) If the tuning won't go back down (stays sharp) after a pullup then you can adjust the spring tension (loosen springs) so the back of the bridge is higher. This will give the strings more leverage to come back down to tune. However, if it also won't go back up (stays flat) after a dive then this fix would make that worse.
Last edited by fly135 at Aug 1, 2014,
Its not near as bad with dives. I can usually get thru a song if I only dive. However when i pull back on the floyd and increase the string tension (i really like doing this technique at the end of solos) the tuning will almost always never return to the original. Its flat. The F string ( or G in standard) is the main culprit out of the 6 that goes flat. The others are a hit a miss. Either way, i cant gig with it because of this.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by pantallica87
The F string ( or G in standard) is the main culprit out of the 6 that goes flat. The others are a hit a miss. Either way, i cant gig with it because of this.

Are you sure the locking nut that holds the G string is really gripping and holding the string?
Yea. Ive got em all locked as tight as i possibly can. Any tighter would probably strip the head, thats why Im thinking its the cheap guts the floyd rose special has. I have a synyster special with an OFR that ive taken apart and set up myself and it doesnt give me one flippin problem. I have to tune it maybe once a week and its my main axe. With the hellraiser special im re-tuning after every song.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Last edited by pantallica87 at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by pantallica87
Its not near as bad with dives. I can usually get thru a song if I only dive. However when i pull back on the floyd and increase the string tension (i really like doing this technique at the end of solos) the tuning will almost always never return to the original. Its flat. The F string ( or G in standard) is the main culprit out of the 6 that goes flat. The others are a hit a miss. Either way, i cant gig with it because of this.
I had to correct what I wrote above. So you are pulling it sharp than then it goes flat when you let go? I would try tightening the springs a bit. That would pull the bridge tail down some and probably limit your pull up range.
make sure you're setting it up correctly (there's a stick in EG about floyds)

if you are and you're still getting those problems then I'm guessing an OFR would help a lot. It's just whether it's worth putting one into a cheaper guitar, and that's down to you really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It could be that im just not setting it up right and havent found that sweet spot that keeps everything in equilibrium. But I cant tell you how many times, Ive adjusted springs tension. Its alot. Like i said, I can get it flush with the body and in tune, and as soon as i start wailing on the bar, the strings ( Mainly the F) go flat. Its deffinately worth trying to replace some parts or the whole system. Its a beautiful quilted see thru black guitar with a set neck and emgs.
Gibson LP Classic HP
Schecter KM-7
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
yeah i mean i'm not great at setting things up either. i find that the good trems (ofr etc) wotrk well as long as they're not set up terribly... edit: and yeah if you love the guitar and don't want to sell it, it might be worth swapping the trem. if you're in europe a schaller lockmeister might be a bit cheaper (ofr with schaller stamp, far as i'm aware)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 1, 2014,