Page 1 of 2
Have you all heard the new Slipknot song? I hate to be the negative one here, but it was slightly underwhelming. I'm a huge Slipknot fanboy, but there's just something missing from it that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe the loss of two members has affected them more than I though it would have. What's your thoughts? Did you like it?
Quote by Cavalcade
I'd like it more if it had any decent hooks. Whoever's behind the kit (or behind the Superior) is doing really well at pretending to be Joey, though.

I mean it's not that hard to mimic the old Slipknot drummer. If you just play shittily it'll blur together with the other shitty musicians in the group and it'll just sound like one giant ball of shit like Slipknot always has.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I mean it's not that hard to mimic the old Slipknot drummer. If you just play shittily it'll blur together with the other shitty musicians in the group and it'll just sound like one giant ball of shit like Slipknot always has.

That's not fair. As musicians they all are good enough, and Joey was on-par with a lot of modern extreme metal drummers. I think their music is garbage too, but there's no need to get irrational.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
That's not fair. As musicians they all are good enough, and Joey was on-par with a lot of modern extreme metal drummers. I think their music is garbage too, but there's no need to get irrational.

If you make shitty music, you're a shitty musician.
I can think of a lot of great musicians who made some shitty music in their lives
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by Ironic Maiden

You knew what I ****ing meant. Don't give me this yuppy underground metalhead shit and start changing the definition I used for musician there.
Quote by romencer17
I can think of a lot of great musicians who made some shitty music in their lives

Sure sometimes that can happen but if you release a constant stream of aural diarrhea into the world and never make anything worth while/never have made anything worth while you are a shitty musician.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
You knew what I ****ing meant. Don't give me this yuppy underground metalhead shit and start changing the definition I used for musician there.

Technical skill doesn't instantly make you a good musician.
skip about halfway through

I think A7X is horrible and I don't care about anything Gates does in them, but can you really listen to this and go "nah, he's a shitty musician cause I don't like his band"? you're just being thick at that point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzOV_FBVORk
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Aug 1, 2014,
I still see that as having the potential to be a good musician but still being a shitty one because that's not the kind of stuff he does on a regular basis. If he was putting out good music like that with some frequency I wouldn't give a shit if he was in A7X. But I will absolutely agree that that is an impressive video, I wish I could play gypsy Jazz that well.

I only came in this thread to dump on Slipknot
Quote by Ironic Maiden

This is one of the most myopic and ignorant statements that I've ever seen in the metal forum, and that's saying something.

So if a talented musician plays music that you don't like, he's not a good musician any more?
That's logical, you dumb ****er.
Quote by NABEF9
This is one of the most myopic and ignorant statements that I've ever seen in the metal forum, and that's saying something.

So if a talented musician plays music that you don't like, he's not a good musician any more?
That's logical, you dumb ****er.

It would help if you read my other post in response to Romencer
Quote by Ironic Maiden
I still see that as having the potential to be a good musician but still being a shitty one because that's not the kind of stuff he does on a regular basis. If he was putting out good music like that with some frequency I wouldn't give a shit if he was in A7X. But I will absolutely agree that that is an impressive video, I wish I could play gypsy Jazz that well.

I only came in this thread to dump on Slipknot

As far as I'm concerned a good musician can be one who has a firm grasp on his instrument and one can be someone who creates quality music from the standpoint of composition. I used the former definition in my first post and it should have been clear enough to convey that that's what I meant, but I guess I should have been clearer.
Quote by Morphogenesis26
As far as I'm concerned a good musician can be one who has a firm grasp on his instrument and one can be someone who creates quality music from the standpoint of composition. I used the former definition in my first post and it should have been clear enough to convey that that's what I meant, but I guess I should have been clearer.

I think you have to have both in order to be a good musician. Sure Yngwie can shred circles around most guitar players but he's written a handful of good songs in his life.
My addition - Ildjarn wrote songs that were simple in practice but grandiose in scope.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Metal fans calling other forms of Music and musicians "shitty" makes for a fabulous joke. You sure do take the high road by listening to distorted trem chords and some sweaty guy scream into a mic.

A7X guy made a living playing guitar and getting sweet young poontang. I'm sure he will really take your criticism of his music to heart. Maybe write him an email and tell him he is doing it wrong? While you're at it make sure to tell Slipknot they only made millions because they are shitty musicians. Maybe when they are done making a living off their music they will make sure to read your forum posts and make concerned faces at them.

I can't stand A7X or Slipknot but I can rest knowing I don't need to validate my stupid music hobby by undermining any of their musical achievements.

And since we are apparently talking about Ildjarn, A7X dude is 10x the musician he is but I for some reason enjoy Ildjarn 100x more.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 1, 2014,
Quote by severed-metal
Yeah but Ildjarn can't sweep pick

This is why I lose arguments on the Internet
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkyvJKYs2w

What goes through my head during every debate, but like the other person is Phil Lynott so it makes sense

EDIT: I realize there is a very homosexual context when this song is used to discuss two males debating

EDIT: I did not intend this at first, but now it kinda makes sense, like how the greeks used to debate
Last edited by severed-metal at Aug 2, 2014,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Why do you have to make me feel bad about myself, VG?

I'm guessing you are relatively young, yeah? Feeling bad about yourself means you just learned something.

Never stop feeling bad about yourself.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 2, 2014,
Look at Severed, he feels good about himself all the time and we all know what a loathsome weenie he is. Probably sucks at Street Fighter.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
I'm guessing you are relatively young, yeah? Feeling bad about yourself means you just learned something.

I never thought I'd get words of wisdom from UG's metal forum, but I'll take it.

Man I kinda wanna play Street Fighter or any kind of fighting game

Also Jesus Christ I realized I am probably the youngest frequent user in this forum.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Aug 2, 2014,
Quote by VampireGoldfish

That's pretty deep, man. *puffs cigar*
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Metal fans calling other forms of Music and musicians "shitty" makes for a fabulous joke. You sure do take the high road by listening to distorted trem chords and some sweaty guy scream into a mic.

A7X guy made a living playing guitar and getting sweet young poontang. I'm sure he will really take your criticism of his music to heart. Maybe write him an email and tell him he is doing it wrong? While you're at it make sure to tell Slipknot they only made millions because they are shitty musicians. Maybe when they are done making a living off their music they will make sure to read your forum posts and make concerned faces at them.

I can't stand A7X or Slipknot but I can rest knowing I don't need to validate my stupid music hobby by undermining any of their musical achievements.

And since we are apparently talking about Ildjarn, A7X dude is 10x the musician he is but I for some reason enjoy Ildjarn 100x more.

TROOF. I get sticking up for something that you find power and inspiration in, but being bitter and resentful about these things which are comparatively trivial is a sign or result of a lack of self identity, and a pretty maladaptive habit/ attitude to live with.

I thought the song was alright, it's cool that they're actually going back to their Iowa sound. The riffing is a bit too straight and repetitive, but it's more or less classic Slipknot, like it or not... hoping there's some similar but better tunes on the record.
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Why do you have to make me feel bad about myself, VG?

I feel bad too.

I'm gonna go listen to something that makes me happy now.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Look at Severed, he feels good about himself all the time and we all know what a loathsome weenie he is.

I have no shame. This is true. All of it.

Probably sucks at Street Fighter.

RUSEV HUGO, CRRRRUSH

My Hugo > All your players

Except for maybe in Third Strike since I missed that one, but claps are claps are claps and I WILL BODY YOU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v9WGQLffHY
Last edited by severed-metal at Aug 2, 2014,
Quote by AccountAttempt4
So does anyone want to discuss the new Slipknot song?

No one here likes any of Slipknot's music, so no.
Page 1 of 2