Hey everyone.

Bought a guitar body and decided i dont like the blue on it.
So im wanting to strip the colour and re paint it.

Question is what do i need to do so?

The other half wants to paint a galaxy style theme on the front of the guitar so i need paints for that and a base coat and a finish to go on top.

I've no idea what im doing tbh
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Depends what Kind of finish you are stripping If it's polyurithane you could melt it off with a heat gun but nitro or some other finish you want to do sanding or a stripping chemical.

And define "galaxy style". Do you want to a starscape on the guitar? That may be difficult.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Havent a clue tbh. Friend said to take some 1200 grit sandpaper to it to take a few layers of paint off/get a nice smooth finish on it.

And as for the galaxy style im not sure yet, the other half is into painting so shes coming up with a design soon.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
If it's not going to be a transparent finish, you can definitely just sand it a bit and not down to bare wood. There are a lot of YT videos for this + painting specific designs.

To make it easy for her, look for Paint Pens (Acrylic, water-based). Make sure to use Acrylic lacquer for the base, paint, and clear.

I was planning on sanding it down a bit to get a nice surface on it, spray a few coats on black on it (no idea what type of paint for that) then let her do her design on it.

So would it be sand off the current paint, drop a coat (or two) of acrylic black on there, lacquer it, then put the design on, then a clear coat on top?

Obvs giving it time to dry before each step?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
You will want to use 320 or 400 grit if you just want to scuff and shoot. Keep in mind that you will be adding paint so you may want to compensate by sanding a good amount off. Too much paint on a guitar is not good.
Scuff and shoot sounds like a euphemism.

I'm rubbish at painting, so I'll just throw this out there:
http://www.reranch.com/solids.htm

Rothko & Frost and Northwest Guitars both sell nitro aerosols and whatever else you could need. I can only vouch for R&F at the moment, and that's for other products. Halfords spray cans are also worth a shot.
So just for bits and pieces use 320/400 grit. If i want to take more off then use something like 1200 grit paper?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
320/400 for the entire body. 1200 is much finer, would take ages to cut through any paint and might leave a surface that's too smooth for your spray to adhere to.
Ahhh thanks a lot Mint!
I'll get some 320 and 400 tomorrow so i can get started. Might do a little thread on my progress after all.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals