I've only been playing for a couple years now. My first guitar is a Yamaha Acoustic that I bought from someone off Craigslist. I love the acoustic sound, and i still enjoy playing and learning everyday, despite being self taught.

Anyways my landlord recently gave me a guitar, for no particular reason other than he gave up on trying to learn. It's an Aria AC50 Classical Guitar. I've tried playing it and I'm still undecided how I feel about it. It's nice and shiny and new, but I'm just not feeling it. Dunno if it's the sound, wideness of the neck or what. Is ther a certain way this particular type of guitar should be played? Sorry, ima noob. Lol. Anyways pics.

Quote by big-T

Based on the troll face team logo and the team name featuring a Jet, I assume Kalanz has joined.
I have a Yamaha classical that was given to me but I don't know a whole lot about them either. I don't play it much because the wider fretboard might screw me up and I'm still learning too. It does have a nice soft tone and seems easy to play. Obviously these guitars use nylon strings. Never put steel strings on them because they don't have truss rod and the tension would damage the neck. Changing the strings was pretty easy, you have to make a loop around the bridge. There's many tutorials on youtube.

From what I understand you are supposed to use your fingers to strum, not a pick but I guess some people do use a very soft pick. A hard pick will damage the nylon strings and using your fingers is the traditional method.
A hard pick doesn't damage nylon strings, but really the only genres that classical guitars like that are good and even designed for is classical pieces and perhaps a bit of flamenco, which to learn properly you will need lessons.
The AC-50 is a student guitar in excellent condition with a HSC probably between worth $500-$800. It's definitely something to get used coming from playing standard acoustic or electric. What I found is playing classical guitar using finger tips or finger picks (it takes time) and using either a foot stool or a Gitano Guitar rest if you hate foot stools like I do. Playing classical in the correct position really made a difference with my playing as I had a helluva time trying to play up on the fret board like on a steel string.
That is quite a nice guitar, and I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I would have a go at learning to play it in parallel with your steel string. IMO, the difference in feel and technique can only be of long term benefit. - I wish I had learned some flatpicking when I was younger.

Here's a nice example of flatpicking on a nylon string that came up recently in another thread. Ain't nuthin' soft or limp-wristed about their playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-qgum7hFXk

I love it.
Wow I'm shocked that this guitar would be worth that much, nice gift! I wonder what my yamaha CG-110A is worth? I broke it out last night for a session after seeing this thread; wow how easy to play compared to a steel string. Plenty of finger room for those tight chords and the nylon strings are so easy on the fingers. It almost felt like a toy. It doesn't sound all that great when strumming rock/country songs, better suited for picking notes instead of strumming chords I'd say. The fretboard is flat, maybe even slightly concave. The nylon strings don't stay in tune for very long.
Quote by Captaincranky
Tony, I'll see your Tamacun and raise you every guitar player's anthem:

Although it would likely be best to just go ahead and watch this whole TV concert:

Every time I hear these two play I think to myself, "give the other four "Gypsy Kings" the night off, we've got Gabriela"!

Truth is, I'd never heard of them until they came up recently in another thread (maybe another forum), but I think they are fantastic. I chose Tamacun at random from a Youtube search, but will listen to some more. Latin kind of grew on my when I lived in Colombia for a couple of years, though I've always liked flamenco.
kalanz808 That´s one of the best classic guitars you can have without breaking the bank. Bought one myself in -86, and it cost an arm and a leg back then. It´s been a good companion ever since, and it still delivers; best classic I´ve played in a studio.
Please take good care of yours; it is a fingerpicker´s guitar, and doesn´t take well to plectrums. I used to play a lot of John Renbourn stuff on mine, and with fresh bass strings it´s surprisingly responsive.
Whatever you do, don´t even try steel strings on it; the top is a piece of finely balanced solid wood. With nylon strings the load of the strings is about 60 kilos, with steel strings it´s anything up from 90 kilos, and that will ruin the guitar. Once the lid gets warped it´s just a piece of expensive firewood.
Anyway, to get a gift like that, your landlord must really appreciate you. Congrats!
And as an addendum, I just noticed that they are still selling as new, list price around 1,800 usd. Without the case. So it is a bit of a gem you have there...
Put more winding on the pegs to prevent slippage, Don't tune all the way up to standard concert for a couple of days when putting on new strings in other words use the gentle stretch approach. IMO nobody will play the classic well without instruction.