Ok I am in a worship band and I understand the delays and .8th which is being used in this song, but at 2:15 the guitarist plays a solo and it sounds airy and sustaining. How is he doing this? What effect pedal gives that sound. Please watch the video or at least the solo that starts at 2:15....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAps3zagjc
That sounds just like a plain nice sounding guitar running into a fairly distorted amp.

That tone comes from the amp mostly if ya ask me, and it may be whatever pretty generic sounding mid-high to high gain amp, probably with a neck pickup.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by AndrewJ22
Ok I am in a worship band and I understand the delays and .8th which is being used in this song, but at 2:15 the guitarist plays a solo and it sounds airy and sustaining. How is he doing this? What effect pedal gives that sound. Please watch the video or at least the solo that starts at 2:15....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAps3zagjc

there might be a bit of reverb on there.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
^ I'm guessing that may come from the simply shaped room they're playing in.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
^^ (gumbi)

maybe delay though. but yeah a fair ton of it. other than that, as spambot says, just a fair bit of distortion (probably tube amp I'm guessing) and being turned up loud will generally help things to sustain as well. so will using a tubescreamer or tubescreamer-style overdrive as a boost. the airiness might also be lower output (humbucker) pickups, or neck pickup, or maybe a couple of pickups on at once.

I realise I'm not really giving you any concrete answers there, since I don't know for sure how he did it (and there may well be other ways I haven't thought of). Just giving some options for how he maybe did it.

EDIT: ^ yeah that's a fair point- it could just be the room acoustics and/or how it was recorded. I'm wondering how that poncho there is affecting the acoustics.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
EDIT: ^ yeah that's a fair point- it could just be the room acoustics and/or how it was recorded. I'm wondering how that poncho there is affecting the acoustics.

Might as well be so hard and flat is helping creating more reflections for an even richer sounding reverb.

I always dress up good when I gig - very good with black jeans or elegant pants + a light colored shirt + a black formal gilet + elegant black shoes + sometimes a hat when I play guitar and sing by myself, plain jeans + a shirt when I sing and/or play bass and/or guitar with other people, and a full suit (+ black flip flops) with suspenders when I play the drums, but **** that all, next time I'm gonna wear a poncho.

though, probably, considering the music they were playing, the biggest factor in achieving that reverb and that guitar sound was that god was in the room
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 1, 2014,
I know that during the verse he had a .8th note delay but I'm pretty sure he takes it off for the solo. The .8th note delay gives it that gallopy sound.
^ though do you know that because you heard it or because somebody told you?
'cause it's nice to know stuff, but if what we know isn't reflected by the sound we're hearing we might just as well not know anything apart from what we hear, and none of us hears much in that solo as far as I'm getting the thing.

Also if you want sustain you may wanna look into compressors.

Though do yourself a favor and don't buy a compressor in a guitar pedal form, they sound pretty bad for the money and/or have very limited controls.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 1, 2014,
I absolutely know 100% that the intro/ verse uses a .8th note delay. It's very popular I'm worship settings, I use it all the time. Also, the song God is able is by hillsong and the lead guitarist even says he uses it.
What I meant is that if we don't hear it - or at least I don't hear anything that would make me think he's using a delay instead of playing everything himself, there's no point in using it to recreate that sound, even if he does use it.

Same thing goes for the solo tone - you can achieve the more or less same sound (same as that recording at least, which isn't really clear) used in the solo without much hassle, so why going through the hassle of discovering what he used in particular?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
When it comes to playing hillsong music, having the .8th note delay (tapping quarters) is a must. It would me almost impossible specially in this song to recreate the lead line without delay.
Room acoustics and bad recording (Y)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Spambot_2

Might as well be so hard and flat is helping creating more reflections for an even richer sounding reverb.

I always dress up good when I gig - very good with black jeans or elegant pants + a light colored shirt + a black formal gilet + elegant black shoes + sometimes a hat when I play guitar and sing by myself, plain jeans + a shirt when I sing and/or play bass and/or guitar with other people, and a full suit (+ black flip flops) with suspenders when I play the drums, but **** that all, next time I'm gonna wear a poncho.

though, probably, considering the music they were playing, the biggest factor in achieving that reverb and that guitar sound was that god was in the room

LOL
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?