hey guys and gals. i need your opinion or help

so im running a blackstar ht 2x12 with celestion 70/80 speakers and i think its time for a change. i was looking at WGS speakers since they seem to get good reviews and they wont crush my bank.

im currently running a Randall RD20H into the cab at 8 ohms. i play everything from country to death metal and im gonna need some speakers that will handle it all. also id like to keep the wattage of the cab on the high side incase i decide to buy another 5150.

in order to run at 8 ohms what ohm rating should i get the speakers at?

also for my vast style changes what speaker would be the best or what combo would work best?
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Everything from country to death metal, alright, but how much country and how much death metal and how much of everything in between?

For "everything" I'd get a creamback copy, but you may wanna get something different depending on how much of everything you play.

In order to have a mono input at 8ohm you may either get two 4ohm or two 16ohm speakers.

The only thing that would seriously work for everything is a modeler if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The Reaper HP (50 watt G12h30) and the veteran 30 would be a good pair

Or if you want a bit more bottom, veteran 30 and British lead would be a good pair.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Spambot_2
Everything from country to death metal, alright, but how much country and how much death metal and how much of everything in between?

+1

If you genuinely play a totally equal mix that's absolutely fine, but we need to know just in case you don't (or do).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you go to wgs website they recommend an et65
with a veteran 30 as the best sounding combination you could have

http://wgs4.com/et65

I actually just picked up an et65 earlier this week. It isn't broken in yet but it's already a huge improvement over my stock valve king speaker
Last edited by Smigzy at Aug 2, 2014,
sorry for the delay guys i had work the night i posted this and went to mayhem fest last night (it was awesome btw )

i do appreciate all the replies it looks like the veteran 30 and the et65 is in fact the most reccomended. i see that the veteran 30 is 60w and the et65 is 65w. would this make my cab a 125w cab max?

also should i order each one in 16ohm to make it a 8 ohm cab?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
i see that the veteran 30 is 60w and the et65 is 65w. would this make my cab a 125w cab max?
Nope.
When you use two speakers rated at different max powers, the total power your cab can handle is twice the lowest power between the two (thank you Robb )
Quote by iheartgun
also should i order each one in 16ohm to make it a 8 ohm cab?
Yep.

It'd still help to know how much of everything you play to give you proper suggestions.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Aug 3, 2014,
awesome. thank you for that info. i learned something new today.

how long does speaker break in normally take?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Quote by iheartgun
awesome. thank you for that info. i learned something new today.

how long does speaker break in normally take?

It varies, but an easy way to do it is pipe a radio/music through the cab for 20+ hours.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sweet man. I was at mayhem fest on Tuesday at Darien lake.... Ax7 sucked. We left 6 songs into their set. Korn rocked it. AA sucked too. Mushroom head ruled and wrench was pretty good too. The rest of the bands blew nuts. Iced ts equipment didn't work and he paraded his fat disgusting wife around for a half hr.

Who was your favorite???
Quote by Smigzy
Sweet man. I was at mayhem fest on Tuesday at Darien lake.... Ax7 sucked. We left 6 songs into their set. Korn rocked it. AA sucked too. Mushroom head ruled and wrench was pretty good too. The rest of the bands blew nuts. Iced ts equipment didn't work and he paraded his fat disgusting wife around for a half hr.

Who was your favorite???

This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, what is the point?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by Smigzy

Who was your favorite???

a7x sounded great i just dont care for them. i must say bodycount was pretty damn good. king 810 was decent. ill agree on Asking Alexandria they were horrible. and i mean horrible...
My favorite was KORN....they blew me away. fantastic sound, show, and a great attitude. it was awesome to see Head play with the band. they were ON POINT. cant say enough about them.
mushroomhead's pit was pretty intense. i never knew they kicked that much ass live. i will be seeing them again. i am quite sore today tho and my throat is shredded

BUT i now have a month and a half till Coheed and Cambria's neverender.....
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Last edited by iheartgun at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread, what is the point?

Wow. What a mega-douche. Hopefully you get banned from this site with your crappy bad monkey.

If your illiterate ass would look above you would see I gave him advise about WGS Speakers. Just so happens in his response he talked about mayhem fest.... Which I too attended 4 days ago.

Drop dead loser.
Quote by Smigzy
Wow. What a mega-douche. Hopefully you get banned from this site with your crappy bad monkey.

If your illiterate ass would look above you would see I gave him advise about WGS Speakers. Just so happens in his response he talked about mayhem fest.... Which I too attended 4 days ago.

Drop dead loser.

Your pretty funny
I was just asking what it had to do with the thread, go get some vagisil and tampex for your bleeding vagina
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
easy killer robbgnarly knows his shizz and has helped me out many a time before.

rob. mayhem was in my OP about why it took so long for me to respond. i guess dude went the other day too.
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

so - if you e-mail them telling them you are looking to buy and given then your setup, what you want, and type of music you play (name some bands) tehy will make a recommendation for you.

i wanted a very versatile pair for a 2x12 and they recommended a reaper and veteran 30, which is basically a vintage 30 and g12H30 from celestion....a very classic pair.

and they are AWESOME. you would need the reaper HP to bump the cab up to about 100-120 watts. my cab is only 60 watts (30 watt reaper, 60 watt veteran, 2xlower wattage = 2x30=60).

i would say the reaper is teh more "dominant" speaker. 1 DB louder, and seems to have a big more character and the veteran just fills in the sound. this is also because my cab is vertical, so the reaper is closer to my ear. but as a whole i love these speakers. highly recommend.

v30s are great for heavy stuff, everything knows that. but they have some speakers like the invader etc which seemed to be aimed at heavier types of music. i would ask them about it. but my all means, my pair can handle any genre.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by iheartgun
easy killer robbgnarly knows his shizz and has helped me out many a time before.

rob. mayhem was in my OP about why it took so long for me to respond. i guess dude went the other day too.

No I had no issues at all. I was just asking why he posted that, I missed the post about it.

sorry
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No I had no issues at all. I was just asking why he posted that, I missed the post about it.

sorry

its allll good here. i think someone else got butthurt tho

Ikey:
i will most def. email them to see what they say. and thank you for that reccomendation. there are so many variables to think about. all i know for sure is that those 70/80's gotta go. my inital thought was to grab two of the wgs v30's but then i saw all of the others and i thought hmmmmm i could mix.

now completely different from the speakers. my blackstar cab is a half closed cab. would it be worth it to close it up? just go get some 14ply birch and order some tolex and close it up or wont it make that much of a difference?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Yeah buddy.

No hard feelings. No big deal.

You just came in here spouting off like a total idiot.

You were too damn lazy to read up a few posts so you ran your mouth about something you had no clue what you were taking about. Typical UGer. Trust me my friend. I expect nothing less from the low lives on this site. Just sucks I try to have a convo with a guy and another guy has to be a major douche about it for no reason at all.
Last edited by Smigzy at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by Smigzy
Yeah buddy.

No hard feelings. No big deal.

You just came in here spouting off like a total idiot.

You were too damn lazy to read up a few posts so you ran your mouth about something you had no clue what you were taking about. Typical UGer. Trust my my friend. I expect nothing less. Just sucks I try to have a convo with a guy and another guy has to be a major douche about it.

You know nothing I posted was being any way twards you at all, until you started the name slinging.

Click logout and leave if you can't handle it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You know nothing I posted was being any way twards you at all, until you started the name slinging.

Click logout and leave if you can't handle it

Lol. Funny coming from a guy who devoted a post about how he didn't like my post
i have an avatar traditional cab with the convertible back feature. though i am not sure it makes a MAJOR difference compared to the design / quality / and size of the cab and type of speakers, i do think i heard a slight difference in sharper bass response, a bit more punch. not to mention, i dont have to worry about something damaging teh speakers. AND i dont have that peice of wood lying around.

so as a whole, i vote closed back for me. people argue this "room filling" thing with open back. well, most times live you are micing yourt amp and probably want most sound going forward anyways. and if some form of effect? most amps have reverb or your using a reverb pedal, so i dont think thatsa good argument. i see no difference in "full ness or lack of room filling ability". i think my base just got better.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
this is a new head for me so im still trying to figure out what works best for it. i use to run a 5150ii through this cab and it did seem to have an airy tone when i played it with my band. as for now i use a reverb pedal when i need it. i guess it cant hurt to try it huh?
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

Speakers are a hard thing to decide on.

I didn't have access to any of the speakers I was interested in. I'd suggest just listen to every clip you can. Then listen to them 10 more times. Get a general idetheb just go with it. I beat my head against the wall over "which speaker" for almost a month. In the end I went with something I never considered and I am 100%.happy with my decision.

I say just listen then go with your gut
for all my live performances ive always used b52 cabs because they are cheap as hell but very well built and their stock speakers sound decent. but now that my band has broken up and my wise decision to change to less back breaking equipment ie:2x12 cabs ive had to settle with celestion 70/80's. ive never put much thought into upgrading speakers due to always playing live in a metaly punkish band. but my ears do not like those crap celestions.

i should have invested in a marshall 1960 YEARS ago and i would have been done with it. lol
Live Rig

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board