Heys guys I am looking to purchase my very first tube amp with a budget of around 500 dollars. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with a JB/Jazz pickup configuration. I am looking for the amp that can get me the absolute closest I can get for the price to the Aenima-era Tool sound. (Aenema, Forty Six and 2, Eulogy, etc etc) I do play other music occasionally but as I am starting a Tool cover band with friends I would really like to nail this. I am looking at a used Peavey Triple XXX 40W combo at a local music shop but wanted some second opinions on the matter first. I am open to any suggestions even if you guys think I would be better off maybe getting a clean/low gain amp and pushing it to Adam Jones territory with a pedal of some sort. I'm open to all suggestions! Thanks so much ! Take Care
Honestly save some more money, $500 won't get you there. I'd look at a 1x12 Mesa rectoverb combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For that money, an old JSX is probably as close as you'll get. A XXX wouldn't be a bad choice really, they're essentially the same amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 2, 2014,
Would a Marshall DSL series be worth checking out? I have also heard good things about Jet City amps but have never played one...