I feel like I've hit a brick wall over the past week.
I have decided to tackle Iron Maiden's Powerslave. I just have to get the solos down.
I have gotten Dave Murray's first solo down easy.
It's the first part of Adrian Smith's solo that is bugging me. The repeated bends based around the B minor pentatonic scale(?). Comprised of 16ths and the bend from the E to F# is an 8th.
The tempo of that part of the song is 150bpm in 4/4 time and I have made progress ... in about the first 2 days.
I started off at half speed on the metronome and repeated the riff 10 times in a row. As long as it's clean and I have that 'feel' that it's second nature to play, only then I increase the tempo, but only by about 2bpm (I was told this was a good increment).
When I hit a wall I decrease the tempo by 20 then play it 10 times, then go back to my problem area and try again. If I don't get it then I increase the tempo by 20 then try and play it 5 times, then I go back and try again.
I repeat this process until I can play it.
But I got up to my problem area of 148bpm around 5 days ago and since then spend any where from 1-2 hours a day trying to get it to speed.
When I start off the day I start off at 80bpm, play it 5 times then increase tempo by 10 until I get to my trouble area (148)
If anything, it seems my progress has gotten worse. I get up to 148 and go back and forth between the slow and fast tempos but sometimes when I slow it down, even 20bpm slower gets tough to play clean. Then I decrease another 10 and it's still hard. It's like my fingers have just given up.
Is there any tips or is this just what it takes to be able to play up to speed? Consistency and dedication?
I will probably slow down the metronome again tomorrow and try to play the 7th fret B and 7th fret high E with a 'sweep' motion instead of picking it, as I think that technique is what is limiting my progression.
are you talking about this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UIkS5m9gc

Im having trouble finding exactly what part u r referring to. You mean the classic rock riff starting at like 3:59? if thats the one, thats a classic lick that takes a little feel to play correctly and also there are different fingerings deending on if u r a pinky player etc. The classic rock way to play it would be with 1st and 3rd fingers like the guy in the below video. See "part 9" for the slow breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPvcuXAPJHY

is that the part u mean?
Last edited by JohnProphet at Aug 2, 2014,
most of them i'm still working on
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JohnProphet
are you talking about this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UIkS5m9gc

Im having trouble finding exactly what part u r referring to. You mean the classic rock riff starting at like 3:59? if thats the one, thats a classic lick that takes a little feel to play correctly and also there are different fingerings deending on if u r a pinky player etc. The classic rock way to play it would be with 1st and 3rd fingers like the guy in the below video. See "part 9" for the slow breakdown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPvcuXAPJHY

is that the part u mean?

Yup! 3:59.
How I'm playing it is barring my index across the 7th fret B and high E strings and pulling off the A 10th fret to the 7 on the way down and bending the E to F# on G string with my ring.

Edit: He isn't playing the 7th fret on the high E in his demonstration.
Last edited by tomasujhelyi at Aug 3, 2014,
Yup, the 2nd way of rolling my finger across the 7th fret across two strings worked a lot better! Nailed it! The hardest part was just making it sound clean. I noticed I had to move my picking hand further towards the direction of the high E string to keep the other strings muted and had to put more of my 'pinky flesh' on the strings too.
But she's good! Now to tackle the next passage with all the 16ths.
It depends. If it's a difficult one, it takes me like 2 or 3 weeks. I worked on solos for months, just to get the right notes and rythm. But after this, you need to focus on the interpretation, how the guitarist plays it, and it can takes years to MASTER a solo