I'm looking for an amp to use with pedals on it's clean setting. I want a nice recording and bedroom playing setup. Asking for 20 or less watts, prefer solid state to avoid maintenance, and I just want it to be a full clean sound like in a marshall rather than a bell like one from a fender, just so I get that full, boosted eq sound I like. If it breaks up from a hard attack oh well, I'll usually use distortion pedals anyway. Doesn't have to get loud, even if I need loud stuff, I have a 100 watt carvin legacy and it hurts to use it at low volume because I burn through tubes and it's not even at it's full potential. Remember, cheap, cheap, cheap, I'm a cheapskate. I will probably still buy used too.
Zoom G3. Got loads of amp models including Marshall, some great effects, and it's got a built in drum sequencer and USB interface for recording.

Or just use amp sims on your PC. There's a whole sticky dedicated to them over in the Recordings forum.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Aug 2, 2014,
I think I want to steer clear from anything in the mg series, I hear way to many bad things about them. They don't have a distortion tone they just have a fizz channel, and a fizz-clean channel. They are also unreliable which is completely inexcusable of marshall, even for the price. It also does not have an fx loop which is basically the whole point of this thread. The zoom g3 is a multi-effects pedal and in order to use effects I need an amp so I don't know the purpose of you mentioning it haha. The PC thing wont work with my laptop, I don't have good speakers, or an audio in, or an app program, plus the whole digital thing is too confusing I just wanna plug in and rock! I also want an fx loop (as stated in the title) and that is also not possible with a pc setup without spending hundreds of dollars.
I don't think it's even possible to have a cheap solid-state amp with Marshall tones and an FX loop. As far as I'm aware, you can have 3 out of 4 max. It's up to you which 3.
If you can live with a tube amp, get a used Jet City 2212C. They're based on Soldano designs, and Soldanos are at their core hot-rodded Marshalls.
If you desperately need it to be solid-state, I fear your only option would be a modeling amp. I don't know a single modeling amp with an effects loop.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Last edited by PsiGuy60 at Aug 2, 2014,
Closest would be would be a used Marshall Valvestate 8080 I think. A hybrid with a single tube in preamp section (which lasts forever really). It is however 80 watts, which honestly means jack and shit because it has perfectly functional volume knob plus a global master volume to make things easier.

You may be asking too much though. For more authentic Marshall tones look at modelers if you want to avoid tubes in bedroom practice. Anyway, Valvesate 8080 in action. You dont really need distoriton pedals unless you go really high gain, modern stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN8CFkLsRko

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 2, 2014,
get a used Line 6 Flextone, like this one for $119 (its a Flextone III)
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Flextone-III-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110391918-i3874151.gc

or this Flextone II with the floorboard for $119
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Flextone-II-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110353424-i3844584.gc

they have a nice JCM800 setting and nice JCM2000, JTM45 and Plexi settings as well as being able to choose what cab/speakers your modeling.
and they have a nice FX loop
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 2, 2014,
Quote by VanhalenVai
. The zoom g3 is a multi-effects pedal and in order to use effects I need an amp so I don't know the purpose of you mentioning it haha. The PC thing wont work with my laptop, I don't have good speakers, or an audio in, or an app program, plus the whole digital thing is too confusing I just wanna plug in and rock! I also want an fx loop (as stated in the title) and that is also not possible with a pc setup without spending hundreds of dollars.

I was just throwing it out there as a potential alternative - no worries if it's not what you want.

I just figured from the OP that as you already have a main gigging amp, and you were looking for something to use for recording & quiet practice it may be an option you hadn't thought of - the key thing being with something like that you don't actually need an amp, just some half decent headphones or speakers.

You might be surprised at the options you can have with a PC setup (amp sims can be set up with en effects loop), but if you're set on getting another amp, go for it!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'll give a hesitant, unenthusiastic +1 for the Valvestate...I guess. An Egnater Rebel would probably work much better but its got those dang ol' tubes that require constant, heavy maintence and are only good for stadiums.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Used MG30DFX

It's actually okay to recommend MGs these days? Jeez, I've been gone longer than I thought.

Quote by lucky1978
An Egnater Rebel would probably work much better but its got those dang ol' tubes that require constant, heavy maintence and are only good for stadiums.

OP, listen to this. I bought an Egnater Rebel 20 about 3 years ago now, maybe more. I've never had to open it up. Stock tubes still inside. I live in an apartment.

It's the best amp I've ever owned. And that's coming from someone who used to have an MG100DFX!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Last edited by SLonergan at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I was kidding

So was I
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
I have this combo and it is very Marshally, but it is more of a Plexi/800 type of amp and does not to modern tones that well. used they run $150-$200
http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/0/116598/

You can also look at the old Marshall Mosfet Lead series if you have to have a SS amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 3, 2014,
Yeah higher wattage might actually be a good idea, as I am looking for something more clean. I like the jet cities, they are uglier than a toy poodle, but I can change that. Valvestates are nice, and I tend to like basically any non mg or avt marshall. I am sorry if I came off a little rude on that last post, I should have revised it, but I'll check out that g3 cuz it actually looks pretty cool. Has anybody tried the roland cubes? I used one once but at like 1/4 volume to test the stack channel, so I don't know if it can reach any record-able volume without an ugly digital clip. Sorry I haven't checked back in a while, I haven't had access to wifi for a couple days.
Quote by Robbgnarly
get a used Line 6 Flextone, like this one for $119 (its a Flextone III)
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Flextone-III-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110391918-i3874151.gc

or this Flextone II with the floorboard for $119
www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Used-Line-6-Flextone-II-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110353424-i3844584.gc

they have a nice JCM800 setting and nice JCM2000, JTM45 and Plexi settings as well as being able to choose what cab/speakers your modeling.
and they have a nice FX loop

the 800 channel is great on flextones. even better than a pod hd.
Quote by dlowe102
the 800 channel is great on flextones. even better than a pod hd.

why are you bumping old threads?

get in the game with the current threads that are going and leave those old ones alone

you must be searching on a key word and then jumping into old conversations

Edit: v...OK sorry dlowe102. I shouldn't have jumped on you. At least you provided a valid suggestion. All I did was spam.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 19, 2014,
Nope ive been gone quite a long time and just going back and commenting when I see a thread that I can contribute to. I don't see what the problem is im contributing to a thread that later can be searched and the more advice and opinions there is on a subject can only be beneficial. 98% of this forum is old material so we should just be silent until a new product comes along. otherwise we are just bumping old threads,ideas and opinions. but yea im shure if I bumped a thread riding a vyper's jock you wouldn't have cared