I have a dell inspiron n5110, with intel i7 2.00ghz, 8gb ram, nvidia geforce 525m.
I began using reaper for recording mixing and mastering. Unfortunately, probably because of the many plugins I am using for symphonic metal, reaper is unable to handle the plugins and in playback, even in offline rendering, the sound lags! Is it my laptop's fault? What are the minimum requirements for a pc for this type of work? Please help because I am writing an album for my band and I probably have to buy a new pc!
Last edited by guitarpro2play at Aug 2, 2014,
Quote by guitarpro2play
probably because of the many plugins I am using for symphonic metal
My 2007 macbook can handle a max 17 track projects with each track playing samples in unison, each one with 4 or 5 seriously processor heavy effects.
It has a 2gHz core 2 and 3gb of ram, so I reckon the processing power isn't the problem here.

Just to be sure though, how many tracks do you have there, and what plugins do you have on them?
What's on the tracks, audio or midi data playing back samples?
Have you tried re-installing reaper and the audio drivers?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
My 2007 macbook can handle a max 17 track projects with each track playing samples in unison, each one with 4 or 5 seriously processor heavy effects.
It has a 2gHz core 2 and 3gb of ram, so I reckon the processing power isn't the problem here.

Just to be sure though, how many tracks do you have there, and what plugins do you have on them?
What's on the tracks, audio or midi data playing back samples?
Have you tried re-installing reaper and the audio drivers?

Macs are always better for this job, but they're expensive! I have tried reistalling windows with all the plugins and reaper. In my mix, I use omnisphere, ezdrummer, a few plugins from east east quantinum leap for orchestral, and I have 4 tracks for guitars, 1 for bass and for vocals. I also use some izotope plugins for mastering. Probably my laptop is too weak. I've seen artists with good computers handle about 50-100 tracks!

P.S. Drums and orchetrals are midi, exported from guitar pro or written in reaper.
Last edited by guitarpro2play at Aug 2, 2014,
Judging from your setup, that is enough indeed.
Also I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say stuff is better than yours, I meant that since that stuff works on my pretty modest computer it should work just fine on yours.

Are you using ASIO4ALL?
What's the buffer size?
Could you post a small clip showing the problem.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Judging from your setup, that is enough indeed.
Also I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say stuff is better than yours, I meant that since that stuff works on my pretty modest computer it should work just fine on yours.

Are you using ASIO4ALL?
What's the buffer size?
Could you post a small clip showing the problem.

I am using Asio driver of my audio interface. The buffer size is set on the lowest setting. Also, macs are generally more powerful because of their construction and operating system probably. Unfortunately I don't have any clips right now, I've deleted them all.
Because it annoys me I feel compelled to point out that no, macs are not always better for the job, they are constructed from exactly the same parts as PCs, and the OS is only more stable/secure because it's less popular so it's a worse target. Now, onto your problem:

Firstly, you have all those virtual instruments (EZD, omnisphere, east) loaded up at once!? you're probably choking out your RAM with all the samples. What you should do is render them off. There's no good reason not to once you're happy with the samples you're using. And even if you decide you want to change you can always delete the audio and load up the plugin again. That should go a long way towards speeding things up.

Also I'm not entirely sure how you're getting audio lags with offline rendering. The whole deal with offline rendering is you don't hear it playback. It being below 1x isn't a real issue, doesn't affect the sound of the final product anyway unless you're using external hardware.
Quote by chatterbox272
Because it annoys me I feel compelled to point out that no, macs are not always better for the job, they are constructed from exactly the same parts as PCs, and the OS is only more stable/secure because it's less popular so it's a worse target. Now, onto your problem:

Firstly, you have all those virtual instruments (EZD, omnisphere, east) loaded up at once!? you're probably choking out your RAM with all the samples. What you should do is render them off. There's no good reason not to once you're happy with the samples you're using. And even if you decide you want to change you can always delete the audio and load up the plugin again. That should go a long way towards speeding things up.

Also I'm not entirely sure how you're getting audio lags with offline rendering. The whole deal with offline rendering is you don't hear it playback. It being below 1x isn't a real issue, doesn't affect the sound of the final product anyway unless you're using external hardware.

I thought about rendering each instrument seperate, and mix them together, but the thing is that, I write my songs inside reaper so I change things all the time, and It's more practical for me to keep my projects that way. Anyway I will be buying a new pc soon with more ram and a better cpu so I will be fine I think...
you can freeze and unfreeze tracks at any given time in reaper, so that won't be a problem. Just freeze the tracks you are not working on and unfreeze the track that you want to work on.

When I worked at this it would have taken up the 8GB RAM I have, if I didn't freeze tracks I wasn't working on. https://soundcloud.com/tomura/ready-for-battle
I unfroze them all once and it froze my PC. But you will notice slight errors during playback before the bad things happen. Don't know how much RAM it would have needed, but definetly below 16GB.

I've never hit a CPU bottle neck, but RAM was problematic because I used a lot of samples.
Last edited by Tomura at Aug 2, 2014,
Quote by guitarpro2play
I am using Asio driver of my audio interface.
Download ASIO4ALL then.
They may be the same thing but I'm not sure, so do that just in case.
Quote by chatterbox272
the OS is only more stable/secure because it's less popular so it's a worse target.
The os is more stable/secure because it's a better design.
Nobody writes viruses for unix because reasons, among which you gotta have admin privileges to do anything harmful, and unix systems require passwords for that, and it's more stable because it's a plain better operating system, built on a plain better operating system.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by guitarpro2play
I thought about rendering each instrument seperate, and mix them together, but the thing is that, I write my songs inside reaper so I change things all the time, and It's more practical for me to keep my projects that way. Anyway I will be buying a new pc soon with more ram and a better cpu so I will be fine I think...

I don't think you need more RAM. A better cpu...maybe. But I wouldn't say more RAM and a better CPU will magically fix your problems. Recording more efficiently, as chatter suggested, will though.

Quote by Spambot_2
Download ASIO4ALL then.
They may be the same thing but I'm not sure, so do that just in case.

There shouldn't be a need for this, if he already has an ASIO driver configured to his interface.

In fact, using ASIO4ALL may actually cause a performance decrease, since it's not configured to his specific interface.

The os is more stable/secure because it's a better design.
Nobody writes viruses for unix because reasons, among which you gotta have admin privileges to do anything harmful, and unix systems require passwords for that, and it's more stable because it's a plain better operating system, built on a plain better operating system.

This is all opinion. I've used Linux, PC, & Macs. All have their advantages and disadvantages; none are better, on the whole. Now, could we not start a "PC vs Mac" debate?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 3, 2014,