So, I've ordered myself a micro terror to use as a portable amp while i'm on vacation/away somewhere, since i can't carry around my ht-5 everywhere. I'm spending the summer in bulgaria with my family, I took the guitar but couldn't get the amp.
It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm not planning on getting a 1x8 or 1x12 cab for it (anytime soon, at least).
I want to know, i have a big ol' mixboard in my room, and i want to use it for practicing. I know i can use the headphone out or whatever and plug it in from there, or just connect it to my audio interface and use some cab impulses then connect it to the mixboard, but i want to know the following:
I have a "power amp input" on my mixboard (dynacord powermate 1600). Would it work if i plugged the 1x8 ohm output from the micro terror into there, and if so, would it sound better than using the line/headphone out?
If not, would there be a better way to get a good sounding amp tone without using a dedicated guitar cab? Could I just plug the head straight into one of the speakers (they're 8 ohms but they don't have a 1/4" input, only "speakon"/speaker twist connection. I should be able to power one.)
Other info: Audio interface: scarlett 2i2. Floor monitors i have: Behringer eurolive F1520 (200w 8ohm) x2. Guitar pickups: EMG 707s (active/high output).
Thanks.
use the headphone out, or you run the risk of damaging both pieces of gear. I have never seen any mixer (I run live sound) that can take the power amp of any amp without frying something.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I guess I will. I'll still be able to connect the amp straight into a speaker with a 1/4" to speakon, right?
Quote by dkishishev
I guess I will. I'll still be able to connect the amp straight into a speaker with a 1/4" to speakon, right?

Yes, that will work. But if the speaker/cab you are using is not made for guitars it will not sound good. I am talking about the Orange and a speaker just to clarify
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yes, that will work. But if the speaker/cab you are using is not made for guitars it will not sound good. I am talking about the Orange and a speaker just to clarify

Depends. I've run a standard guitar amp into speaker cabinets that were OTHER than the usual 1x12 or 2x12, and the results were stellar. You still get whatever the guitar amp is putting out; you just don't get the occasional mid bump of speakers like the Vin30.

I've also run tube preamps into powered speakers and into power amp/PA-type speaker combinations routinely.

You do NOT run the output of the power section into your mixer (and you should have some kind of a load box on a tube amp's speaker output to prevent damage to the amp itself).