Hi,

I play guitars but I am shy to sing infront of others(my voice isnt that great ,but i like to sing ) I also have a littlestage fear.Can you give me some tips to overcome this.Thanks
This is a simple problem to solve just feel the music! People with stage fright tend to be too self conscious, and over think things just let the music be your guide.

Quote by Wmheadbanger
Hi,

I play guitars but I am shy to sing infront of others(my voice isnt that great ,but i like to sing ) I also have a littlestage fear.Can you give me some tips to overcome this.Thanks

Fear is conditioned. Some people say they never fully get over their stage fright, they always get real nervous before going up on stage, but once they get into it, it goes away.

Really the only thing you can do, is doing it over and over. But, the way conditioning works, you might want to be a bit careful with it.

For example, if you had fear of heights, and you slowly every day spent a couple of hours a day at higher and higher heights, then you would condition away your fear of heights in this way.

However, if you did that, and as you ramped up the heights, you got electro shocked to some painful and undesirable extent, then your fear mechanism would associate heights with bad, and your fear of heights would not get better at all, and could get worse.

So, going on stage a lot will help condition your fear of being on stage away if the results are positive. If you go on stage and you get good feedback, and it feels good and you enjoy it, then that will help you.

If you go on stage and people boo you (which probably would never happen) then that wouldn't work.

So, practicing beforehand is good. But also, not caring if you mess up, and laughing it off. If you care a lot, you will be nervous, which will make you mess up and be all negative emotionish.

If you don't care, and mess up, and laugh it off, then that helps a lot. You don't get nervous and perform better, and that helps your confidence.

But, if you just can't sing well, and no matter what you do, your singing will be bad, then singing on stage is probably not the best thing. Like I said, people won't boo you, they will be nice, but I think you want the most positive you can get. So, maybe find someone to sing with you, or just play instrumental things on stage until you get your vocals improved.
Quote by Black_devils
This is a simple problem to solve just feel the music! People with stage fright tend to be too self conscious, and over think things just let the music be your guide.

thank you
Quote by fingrpikingood

So, practicing beforehand is good. But also, not caring if you mess up, and laughing it off. If you care a lot, you will be nervous, which will make you mess up and be all negative emotionish.

If you don't care, and mess up, and laugh it off, then that helps a lot. You don't get nervous and perform better, and that helps your confidence.

that was really helpful.I tend to worry on tiny mistakes.Well I performed before people once,but I didnt practice well.Everyone said that my performance was average,so i stopped singing.Need to practice more.
Man, I'm in the same boat as you with singing. I've played guitar live a few times and been fine with it and really enjoyed it, but singing is a whole different playing field. I have to be drunk to even do it around close friends. I can hit the pitches, but i feel like my tone is horrible.

I think a lot of it is simply due to the fact that I'm not used to the sound of my own voice. I think in my case, and probably a lot of people, it would help to practice singing into a microphone with headphones or speakers putting what you're singing right back into your ears so you can get used to hearing what your voice actually sounds like and learn to control it.

Anyway, I think fingerpickin's point is very good. When you're singing to an audience of any size you have to have a certain "don't give a fuck" attitude. If you worry about it too much it will bite you in the ass.