So i have enough saved to either get the Peavey 6505+ 60w 1x12, or the Peavey 5150 60w 2x12. I can not afford to buy the head and cabinet so I'm stuck with the combo. The guitar center by my house doesn't carry either of these amps so i was hoping to get some advice from anyone who has played these.

Which is the better amp?

I've read the clean channel is garbage and I'm ok with that because i will not be using it. Thanks.
The 5150 is US made, the 6505+ combo is Chinese. Quality-wise, the 5150 is the better amp. The 6505+ is easier to get decentish cleans out of. I'd take a MIA 5150 over a Chinese 6505+ any day, regardless. That's your decision; quality or better cleans.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks, I should also not that both of these will be bought used, from GC though. Is there anything i should be worried about there?
Quote by Robert689
Thanks, I should also not that both of these will be bought used, from GC though. Is there anything i should be worried about there?

Used amps typically need a new set of tubes.

If anything at all seems off about it within the 30 days, return it.

You can call up and get a return authorization and deliver it personally to any local Guitar Center. Doesn't have to go back to the original store.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
The 6505+ will need new tubes too unless the previous guy changed them recently - and a speaker. What's in them stock is shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 2, 2014,
I've played the 5150 2x12 for my main amp before I got my Randall for years
its a monster sound wise and weight wise dolly or casters are your friends but
5150 is the for sure better buy resale sound and all.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
I'm gonna disagree here and say 6505+. For a couple reasons. Obviously, **** everything about the size and weight of the 5150 212. Moving it by hand is a hellish experience.

Now, I actually used to own the 5150 212, and most of the time, the 6505+ 112 just sounds better. It's easier to get good sounds out of, and it sounds more like you expect that amp to sound. The 5150 is way tamed, it won't bite on its own.

Now, at full band/drummer volumes, the 5150 will have the 6505 for lunch. But that's the only time. And if you get the 6505 set up with all the fixins (eq, od, good tubes), it can keep up with anything anyway.

The quality issue is valid. If you want a ultra reliable MIA amp, the 5150 does have a lot of merit there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
+1 on the weight and in b4 USEATROLLYYOU****S

And I have to agree, the 212 was disappointing without an overdrive. Too tame...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Who doesn't boost the front end of the amp for metal anymore
and I all ready brought up the 5150 weight issue up a few posts
with casters or trolley no biggie. Its heavy because its road worthy
I too thought it was weak till I slammed the front end with a clean boost
then tried some ODs. Plus if he don't like it he has 30 days. If he does he's
got a great amp. Don't get me wrong I like all the 5150 6505 variations. But
if he don't like it after 30 days he will recoupe most his loss easier with the
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Are you gigging?
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Thanks to everyone who responded so far.
I'm not currently gigging but it is a possibility, at the moment i play with a drummer a few days a week just for fun.

It's also relieving knowing if things go wrong i can take it back to my GC and not have to worry about shipping it across the state.
I buy used amps from GC a lot and don't have any issues. The return policy is nice for sure and you can buy a warranty from GC for the used item if you really want
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Either one would be a good choice. I've had my 6505+ 112 for going on 4 years now without any issues except for tube replacements (and most of the time, that wasn't necessary, but to get an even better sound). The tubes that came with it were cheap Chinese jobs rebranded as Rubys. When I replaced them with JJs the amp grew a new, more massive set of balls. Anyway, even though my amp wasn't made in the U.S., it's still a quality amp -- just needs a few upgrades to sound its best. I've had it completely apart (to fit it into a head cabinet) and didn't notice anything dodgy in there. I say either way, turn that thing into a head and get a separate cabinet. I'm actually interested in getting an old 5150 combo and doing the same thing.

Also, as Offworld eluded to, once you factor in an EQ pedal, boost pedal, better speaker(s)/tubes, you can get either amp to sound like each other -- They're not that different from each other in the first place. Actually, since I've built my pedalboard/done my tube changes/speakers, I have not played another 5150/6505/+ head nor combo that matches the sound of mine. The point is, these are amps that respond very well to upgrades.

**I forgot to say this: People that say these amps have garbage cleans a.) don't know how to EQ an amp, b.) know anything about playing dynamics c.) don't know how to play guitar, d.) are hitting the front end of the amp with an 18v EMG 81 and expecting Fender cleans, or e.) all of the above.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by KailM

**I forgot to say this: People that say these amps have garbage cleans a.) don't know how to EQ an amp, b.) know anything about playing dynamics c.) don't know how to play guitar, d.) are hitting the front end of the amp with an 18v EMG 81 and expecting Fender cleans, or e.) all of the above.

Preach it.

Except the last point, @8v EMGs should be cleaner, no? Regardless, a 9V 60 can still sound great.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Don't agree with Kail on this at all. Actually one of these amps almost ruined a session, as a metal balls to the wall guitarist apparently had a blues tune in him and brought his amp, 5150 to the studio while the session clearly called for fender Blues Deville or at least Blues Jr. Active and passive guitars, volume pots, even plugging direct into the power amp with overdrive couldn't render the tones. Luckily next door session had a Marshall Plexi that saved the day.

I've only heard serviceable cleans out of these amps with very low output pickups or with the tube mods where you stick a different preamp tubes., like 12au7 or the like.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 3, 2014,
Let's just think about this for a second - you can get cleans from colder pickups? Then why don't you just roll back the volume on the guitar with hot pickups? The volume knob on your guitar is for more than killing the sound between songs you know.
Sounds like operator error to me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Mesa f-series???
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I can get perfectly useable cleans out of my 5150
by A. Turning down the pre on channel 1 and B. Learned
to use my volume and tone controls on my guitar from
some older wiser players. Not everything has to be balls
to the wall ten with these amps. And I use very hot pups.
Black winters X2N's etc.
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
My 6505+ is pretty good but I have to admit I had hoped the cleans were a little bit better. Maybe if I swapped some tubes or something it would sound better but I can't use it for gigging with a Country band I play in.

As for Metal though it kicks ass for the price, bought a Noise supressor a couple weeks ago you might want one.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112

Drop some JJs in there and you're set. I dont even use a boost and I can get good metal tones out of it. The cleans is average, but not that terrible. Like RJH11 said, use your guitar volume control. Cleans with the neck pickup and some delays will get you by. And get a decimator while you're at it. It's a fizz machine

With that said, I traded my 5150 combo for a Mesa 4x12. It's not versatile enough if you want to play anything else aside from metal or hard rock. And yes, it's heavy Get some casters or go to the gym.
Quote by Offworld92
Preach it.

Except the last point, @8v EMGs should be cleaner, no? Regardless, a 9V 60 can still sound great.

My bad. I said 18v EMG 81 for exaggerative purposes. You're right, they would be cleaner than the typical 9volt 81s.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by diabolical
Don't agree with Kail on this at all. Actually one of these amps almost ruined a session, as a metal balls to the wall guitarist apparently had a blues tune in him and brought his amp, 5150 to the studio while the session clearly called for fender Blues Deville or at least Blues Jr. Active and passive guitars, volume pots, even plugging direct into the power amp with overdrive couldn't render the tones. Luckily next door session had a Marshall Plexi that saved the day.

I've only heard serviceable cleans out of these amps with very low output pickups or with the tube mods where you stick a different preamp tubes., like 12au7 or the like.

Well, I never said their cleans are like a chorus of angels. You'd have to get an amp that costs a hellofalot more to get the same ass-kickery in the metal department whilst getting Fender cleans to boot.

But people blow it way out of proportion -- and I maintain that most of them never really went to any lengths to try to coax better cleans out of them as I have. Also, you don't need to go as drastic as a 12au7 to get better cleans. A 5751 in V1 and a 12AT7 in the PI spot really makes the cleans a lot warmer. Neither of those are extreme modifications and actually make the brutal channel better as well.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by Cathbard
Let's just think about this for a second - you can get cleans from colder pickups? Then why don't you just roll back the volume on the guitar with hot pickups? The volume knob on your guitar is for more than killing the sound between songs you know.

(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Used a "metal" kit from Doug's Tubes to replace all the old, dying tubes in my used 5150 212. The cleans weren't the worst thing in the world. I wasn't satisfied personally, but you could use them.

I've owned a Spider and an MG. If you think the 5150 cleans are garbage, oh boy... I can show you some real garbage.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by Cathbard

Well for a guy that pretends to know everything about guitars I am surprised you don't know that tone usually also changes when you lower the volume. Also I am surprised that you missed on the fact that every pickup is also voiced differently so usually a higher gain pickup will sound differently in tone as well.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 4, 2014,
^ I think his point still stands though. Lowering the volume on the guitar is a classic way to get a better clean sound, and people forget that sometimes.

I do have to say, the clean on any version is pretty bad. I mean yeah, you can coax something passable with enough effort, but that isn't really saying much. I tried lower gain tubes and screwing with the volume knob on mine (112 +), played with the EQ, no matter what the cleans were still flat and lifeless. It was "clean" but that's all I could manage really, hardly inspiring.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
And two pickups of the same output sound different too - what's your ****ing point? Of course different pickups sound different and change a little when you turn down the volume, make the appropriate adjustments you need. You don't have to turn it down that much.
It's still operator error, man.
So **** you too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I LOVED my 5150 2x12 combo. The cleans were way better than the 5150 heads I've owned. Sounded great to me. I thought the gain was just enough for nearly anything I wanted to play and I played hell of a lot more heavy music back then.
I loved that amp, and I'll surely end up with another some day. Though I'll probably convert it into a head. haha
what about a mesa rec? far different tone but the cleans are much better.

you could get a used rect-o-verb. in your price bracket.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
thanks again to eveybody. The 5150 has fallen out of my price range (there were 2 at less than $450, both have sold.) so it's looking like the 6505 is the way i'll be going here.
^^You won't regret it. I recorded some "garbage" cleans for you:

In the first clip, I didn't use any pedals other than my MXR 10-band (I can't remember if it was on or off -- either way, equally decent cleans can be had). The mild reverb is coming from the amp's spring reverb, which I hardly ever use. Oh yeah, and I was using the neck pickup on my Schecter V which is a SD Blackout AHB1 -- which is an active, fire-breathing metal pickup. Guest vocals are provided by my 4-month-old daughter.

6505+ dry cleans (no pedals)

Absolutely god-awful dogshit cleans with reverb/delay added to hopefully polish the crap-tone:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Other than the way it was recorded, it isn't as bad as you think it is.

I easily get good clean tones with my Blackouts.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Other than the way it was recorded, it isn't as bad as you think it is.

I easily get good clean tones with my Blackouts.

I was being sarcastic. And yes, that was recorded with a free app on my Kindle Fire, so, not exactly state-of-the-art.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by KailM
^^You won't regret it. I recorded some "garbage" cleans for you:

In the first clip, I didn't use any pedals other than my MXR 10-band (I can't remember if it was on or off -- either way, equally decent cleans can be had). The mild reverb is coming from the amp's spring reverb, which I hardly ever use. Oh yeah, and I was using the neck pickup on my Schecter V which is a SD Blackout AHB1 -- which is an active, fire-breathing metal pickup. Guest vocals are provided by my 4-month-old daughter.

6505+ dry cleans (no pedals)

Absolutely god-awful dogshit cleans with reverb/delay added to hopefully polish the crap-tone:

Awesome man, that sounds great. I'm hoping to get an EQ and a noise gate soon.
Quote by lemurflames
Used a "metal" kit from Doug's Tubes to replace all the old, dying tubes in my used 5150 212. The cleans weren't the worst thing in the world. I wasn't satisfied personally, but you could use them.

I've owned a Spider and an MG. If you think the 5150 cleans are garbage, oh boy... I can show you some real garbage.

I currently have a spider and i can't tell you how happy I am to finally upgrade.