Hey guys. I am not exactly sure that this is the correct section for this post, so I apologise in advance if it is not. I am slightly perplexed in what to learn and do at this stage of learning the guitar. I will give you list of what I have picked up to give you an idea of where I am at.

*Blues scale in 5 positions, using alternate picking.
*Minor and Major scale in 5 positions, using alternate picking.
*Can fluently play a number of chords using different strumming patterns.

I'm just wondering where to go next, should I learn the CAGED system?
knowing scales is useless. how do you apply them? do you improvise a lot?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
^Saying that they're useless is stupid. But they are a whole lot less important than a lot of beginners think they are.

DO NOT learn the CAGED system, if you ask me it's complete counter-productive BS. I think that the most important thing to do is to learn the notes on the fretboard. If I'd ask you to play me an A note in two different ocaves in five different positions, you should be able to do that without thinking, and that's the easy part. It's also important to practice your ear, try to learn some simple songs without looking at the chords or tabs, just using your ears.
Learn songs, just learn lots of songs from start to finish, it'll help you a ton and go on youtube and find a backing track, just jam on a pentatonic scale over the track and see where you end up, that's a start anyway
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Quote by guitar/bass95
DO NOT learn the CAGED system, if you ask me it's complete counter-productive BS.

Why do you think so?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by omidmash
knowing scales is useless. how do you apply them? do you improvise a lot?

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, buddy. They're important to know for improvisation, songwriting, finger warmups, learning notes, etc.
That said, it also isn't nearly the most important part of practice. Just handy to know
Just to say something about what omidmash said: I agree with what I think they're trying to say.

I think what they're trying to say is that simply 'knowing' a scale (i.e. knowing the patterns up and down the neck) isn't anything on its own. You need to know the sound of the scale and how to apply it for it to be of any worth at all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.