I currently have a Marshall 8080 and Boss GT-3 which soundwise i don't really have a problem with. I only play in the house and it's a bit of a chore rigging it up every time i want to have a quick jam.
I'm looking for a modelling amp to replace this with, something a bit smaller (30/40w) which is easier to just plug in and play. I've not had much experience with modelling amps but on the whole the distortions seem to get a lot of bad press. As i play mostly thrash, i was looking for something that could get at least get a half decent distortion.
Any help greatly appreciated.
"Distortion or thrash" might be too vague. Post a YT track of your tonal nirvana so others have a clear picture of your target.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If it's gotta be an amp, the vypyr tube 60 is the amp with the best high gain distortions I can think of.

If it doesn't, Kemper PA/AXE FX/POD
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Budget and location?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
England. Will be spending whatever i can get for my Marshall and Boss but will be buying second hand.
Vypyr Tube
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyr Tube 60
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Spambot_2
If it's gotta be an amp, the vypyr tube 60 is the amp with the best high gain distortions I can think of.

Quote by Cathbard
Vypyr Tube

Quote by Offworld92
Vypyr Tube 60

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+3!!

Thank us later.

Agreed.

/thread.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 4, 2014,
Used line 6 vetta or flextone, id spring for the vetta if you can afford it, there like between 250 and 400 used.

Am I the only one here that isn't a big fan of the vypyrs here?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Aug 4, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
You missed Spambots recommendation

No, It's there.....
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Vypyr Tube sounds a lot less digital than the X3 era modeling. To my ears.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Vypyr Tube sounds a lot less digital than the X3 era modeling. To my ears.

Fake, not digital.
I agree though. A lot of people like the X3, but I never found use with it with current day modeling gear.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by losing battle
Used line 6 vetta or flextone, id spring for the vetta if you can afford it, there like between 250 and 400 used.

Am I the only one here that isn't a big fan of the vypyrs here?

I agree
I played a Vetta and it was pretty complicated. You can get good sounds out of it but the Peavy Vypyr is "wysiwyg" "what you see if what you get", much easier to get good sounds. I haven't owned either, just spend maybe 20 minutes on each. Tube 60 was pretty close to some of the amps listed, just lacked the girthy balls on the low end when compared to a real 6505. It was nearly there.

I was pretty confused the whole time using the vetta. I'm sure an owner would be able to use it properly. It just wasn't as intuitive.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
A lot of people will bash me for saying this but fender mustang 2 v.2. Stock the settings are garbage but if you get to know fender fuse (the free software used to make amp Sims) you can get pretty ok distortion. And they're cheap I think I got mine for 150$ and they're reliable, I've had mine in the rain and drug it to garage practice almost every day and cranked the volume to ten and thrashed on it, now its going to school for jazz band because that's how versitle it is
My main axe is made from the crucifix, strung with barbed wire, and tuned to z standard then i use a boss metal zone, gain 10, into a line 6, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10, this is the only way to be truly brootal