MAGIC TRICKS THREAD (yay)

Come here if you want to learn or share cool tricks to impress your friends with, or you've been baffled by a magic trick and need to know the answer. Magic tricks are fun entertainment to do to people you know, and it's always been an interest of mine, so if anyone else has also has that interest, or thinks that the friend they just got fooled by is a douche for not telling you how it was done and leaving you frustrated; then this thread's for you

Now I'm the sort of person who doesn't enjoy being fooled by a magic trick. My enjoyment comes from working out how the trick was done, and in my experience it's more fun to be the magician than the victim/spectator. Normally I can work out most tricks I see, but recently my girlfriend's dad showed me a mentalist based sort of trick, which is the sort of thing I don't know much about; so I'm not entirely sure if my solution holds up

Before I go through the trick, I just want to do a quick test. 7, 8, 9, 10. Pick the first one you think of.

Okay, now the trick.
-First he wrote something down on a piece of paper, then he folded it up and gave it to me.

-Then he asked me out of the four card suits, which two do I like the most? I said clubs and diamonds.

-Then he said out of of 7, 8, 9 and 10, which 2 two numbers do I like the most. I said 8 and 10. He said to get rid of those and asked me what was left. That was 7 & 9.

-Then he asked me out of of those two, which one did I like the most? I said nine.

-Then he asked me to unfold the paper, on which it said 'Nine of Clubs', which was what i'd ended up choosing

Now, as for my solution, I think that after I said I was good at working out tricks, he knew i'd try not to go for the obvious choices (actually I think most people would do that) and sure enough Clubs seemed to be the most obscure suit in my mind; with diamond being added as an afterthought as the other less obvious one since I needed to pick two suits. (I'm guessing the trick relies on you knowing the person maybe)
So when he asked me to pick between them, i stuck with clubs as it was the least obvious one.

The next bit when he asked me to pick two out of four numbers is actually kind of obvious in hindsight. He just made a list of four numbers that included his prediction, and then when numbers I picked didn't include it he asked me to take those numbers away; treating it as part of the method. (I'm certain that if I'd picked 9 as one of my numbers, he wouldn't have asked me to discard my choices)

Effectively he now has just a 50/50 chance of getting it right, since the choice between 7 and 9 is the only thing left. Now I'm guessing mentalism comes in here maybe, and perhaps nine is a commonly picked number or something? (out of the numbers available to choose)

I think I've basically worked it out, but this last bit slightly stumps me.

(okay, originally i made this thread to try and get the answer to that trick, but I worked it out as i wrote it up so i decided to expand it to being about magic tricks in general so it could actually be a proper thread)
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Last edited by MetaIronForce at Aug 3, 2014,
A True Magician Never Reveals His Secrets
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I can show you the deeper mysteries.

All you need to do is send me your passport, drivers license, 4 recent utility bills and your bank details.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Baby Joel

A true magician does actual magic and not parlor tricks.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Baby Joel

unless you're the great Revealo
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I can show you the deeper mysteries.

All you need to do is send me your passport, drivers license, 4 recent utility bills and your bank details.

TS, I advise you not to send this person the mentioned items. It is most likely a scam and your security could already have been breached. If you want I can check how much damage has already been done. I will just need your passport, drivers license, 4 recent utility bills and your bank details.
Quote by ultimate-slash
TS, I advise you not to send this person the mentioned items. It is most likely a scam and your security could already have been breached. If you want I can check how much damage has already been done. I will just need your passport, drivers license, 4 recent utility bills and your bank details.

You can't trust this guy. I, a Nigerian Prince, am obviously far more worthy of your faith and identity.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by ultimate-slash
I will just need your passport, drivers license, 4 recent utility bills and your bank details.

Implying I have any of those
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Quote by mickel_w
dynamo pwns al

I think you'll find Al is a much better magician. He turned me into a newt.

I got better
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by WCPhils
They're illusions

A trick is something a whore does for money...or cocaine
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.