Just finding that this JCM 800 isn't working for me and I prefer my Laney, anyone had that where a cheaper alternative you've liked more than the real thing?

Anyway, was hearing tones of different amps and I stumbled acros a Peavey Triple X that people talk about on this forum, sounded great! I thought they were solid state? Anyway, sounds good a local guy is selling one so if my Marshall shifts I'll probably go and try it...

Also will a 4X12 help with my just not bonding with this amplifier? Had a few amps in the space of a year but my Laney AOR is the only one I've really loved!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Why did you get rid of the Krank Rev?

What types of tones are you trying to achieve.

I'm not a big JCM800 fan at all, I do really like the DSL. Have you tried a Laney GH50/100 or a VH100r?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sometimes people just don't gel with certain amps.

There are people who trade off Diezels and Bogners due to not gelling.

I think I remember your predicament. Have you done any tube swapping? I mean, you could try taking it to a Guitar Center type place and play it through a bunch of different cabinets/speakers but if you're not getting along with the amp it may be best to just move on.

Go try a Splawn if you ever see one - that is what a good Marshall should sound like if you ask me.

And yeah, we need to know more about the tones/styles you play or we can't help.

Are you looking for a second amp and if so, why?

The XXX is all tube and a pretty fine amp. I'm not super fussed over it but it certainly no slouch. The XXL is the solid state version of the XXX I think. The XXL I played a bright shrilly fizz fest.

I do like the XXX and JSX models on my Vypyr tube 60. I also like the Diezel, Dual Rec, Krank, 6505, Twin and Brit models on there too

DSL and Laney GH/VH are great recommendations.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 3, 2014,
I mean I really loved my Fireball, but I felt it was a bit compressed, but would a Powerball be better?

Sorry for not being very responsive. Having a think about how I can word everything and cram it into a long post!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Oh wow. I didn't think the Fireball was all that compressed. I put a Fireball 60 through its paces one day and really liked it. Funny that you like the XXX now as I see that as a compressed sound.

We'll look for your detailed post and go from there.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 3, 2014,
Quote by Fisheth24
I mean I really loved my Fireball, but I felt it was a bit compressed, but would a Powerball be better?

doubt it, if anything it's maybe even worse

that's the very first version of the powerball, though- I haven't tried the more recent versions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Powerball's don't sound much organic, the lead channels in particular.
On the contrary, they are pretty dry and they sound a bit like what people associate with digital audio.

What cab are you using with the JCM800?

Though it might just be the case that you don't like that amp.
I mean, it's not like there's an absolute better when talking about guitar amps, and you might just have stumbled upon an amp you don't much like the sound of.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Shoot, I had written a really long post and I refreshed the page... Back to square one!

Right, so since I was sixteen I've had many amplifiers in my possession, some good ones, great ones and not so great ones. But I've never really been happy with my sound at all. I'm not sure why that is, despite owning eight/nine guitars I just find myself stuck in a musical rut especially when it comes to tone.

There's been so many tones I like, but the 6505 seems to point to it, but I tried a 6505 and I didn't fall in love with it. Despite many bands I like using it as a mainstay of their rig.

However, I owned a Fireball 60 (As previously mentioned) and I really liked it and I kinda regret selling it and I'd love another one, I just didn't find it to be that clean an amp. Like it could get lost in the mix very easily and the distortion from what I remember was pretty nasty until I put a bright switch on it, I loved it though and there's one on Ebay going for around the same price I bought it for originally, so if my Marshall and Gibson go I'll be able to afford it.

However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but wondering on what you thought!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Dude, VH100R. I wanted the 800 for a while but couldn't get one due to money. Got the VH and I love the crap out of it. Finally played a 800 (I think it was a 2210 or something, not the classic 2203) and it really didn't have enough balls for me. Maybe I need a Kerry King 800.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Laney GH/VH.

Because I want one...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
What do you mean by the Fireball not being clean?

Where do you normally have the gain set to on your amps?

What type of stuff do you play?

What did you not like about the 6505?

What amps have you played that you really didn't care for (outside of the 2203 I guess)?

What amps have you played that you really really liked?

Have you played a 5153?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
What do you mean by the Fireball not being clean?

Where do you normally have the gain set to on your amps?

What type of stuff do you play?

What did you not like about the 6505?

What amps have you played that you really didn't care for (outside of the 2203 I guess)?

What amps have you played that you really really liked?

Have you played a 5153?

I just felt there was far too much gain and I wasn't finding it to be that great as to picking out every little note you were playing, I like to hear all my mistakes. At the moment, I'm in a band that's wanting to move towards a more metalish sound, whilst retaining a pop-punk feel? (I dunno that's how it was worded to me)

But myself I play and write lot of metal, like Power Metal... So think early Helloween, Gamma Ray, Cauldron, Axenstar, Nightwish etc.

I mean everything I've listen could be used on a Marshall (Apart from Nightwish, who I think use Duel Rec's) but I dunno... JCM 800 wasn't doing it for me!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Vh100r
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sound good, but they don't seem to be available used!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yep, the guitarist from nightwish uses dual recto's indeed.

Have you tried a tremverb (or however the tremolo + reverb version was called) or a rectoverb or a multi power recto or a standard recto recently?
'cause you may like tham...
Quote by TheStig1214
Finally played a 800 (I think it was a 2210 or something, not the classic 2203)
Then you may wanna play a 2203 - the 2210 uses diode clipping, and that is among the things, if not the thing, people disliked most in marshall's history of questionable ideas.
Should be more trebly and harsher than its all tube counterpart so you might just wanna try the 2203, just to see how it is compared to the diode-fitted newer one.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Fisheth24
Sound good, but they don't seem to be available used!

Any 5150 III 50 watts?
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by lemurflames
Any 5150 III 50 watts?

None of them used either!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Spambot_2
Yep, the guitarist from nightwish uses dual recto's indeed.

Have you tried a tremverb (or however the tremolo + reverb version was called) or a rectoverb or a multi power recto or a standard recto recently?
'cause you may like tham...
Then you may wanna play a 2203 - the 2210 uses diode clipping, and that is among the things, if not the thing, people disliked most in marshall's history of questionable ideas.
Should be more trebly and harsher than its all tube counterpart so you might just wanna try the 2203, just to see how it is compared to the diode-fitted newer one.

Checking those out... Seems that the Recto's sound absolutely killer! Sounds like what I'm after!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
**** it, buy an RM100.

Here's mine - Marshall, SLO and Mark (and Bassman)

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
**** it, buy an RM100.

Here's mine - Marshall, SLO and Mark

How did I know you'd say that

Can't find one of those at all over in the UK! Sure the modules will be hard to find too!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Modules are easy to find. The ones plugged into it are from Salvation and Jaded Faith.
Granted though, I've spent well over $1k on them but still, they're readily available.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Modules are easy to find. The ones plugged into it are from Salvation and Jaded Faith.
Granted though, I've spent well over $1k on them but still, they're readily available.

Can't seem to find em, seems like it's discontinued now?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
My bad... I thought being on Ebay UK would give me UK results...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Yeah, but I'm surprised you can't find one. Mine was NOS, he still has two heads in his shop - and it's a little country town.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Framus Cobra? Having a listen and they seem really chuggy. I like them though! How are they for note definition?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
KSE used Cobra's quite a bit. They are chunky. I want one. KSE is metalcore and they have a certain amount of pop/punk in their metal FYI. Have not played one.

Yeah, I used to love KSE as a younger self, they use IRT's now don't they? One of the two guitarists in my main band has them and it doesn't sound that gainy, but the Cobra sounds good. Not sure how it would be for Power Metal, someone local over the road from my practice space is selling one, so I'll have to try it!
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Yeah. IRTs. Combos no less. I saw them on their last tour and those amps had tremendous tone. They've also used Splawns, 5150s, Rectos and a bunch of other stuff too though. Their new album (with Jesse back) is really really good.
Just picked up a 1960B cab! Really helped out my tone, looks like it's all plywood with (English) greenbacks in it.

Not sure on what year and stuff it is, how can I tell?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by lemurflames
My bad... I thought being on Ebay UK would give me UK results...

it does but it also gives you results from people who are willing to ship to the UK...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it does but it also gives you results from people who are willing to ship to the UK...

Sounds fantastic.

In an expensive way...
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
yeah

kind of annoying

i think you can filter them, though
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Isn't that the same with all ebay geographical regions anyway?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
no idea
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But guys, I may have fixed my problem, with a new cab and B tone blending! Gonna get a Morley A/B/Y box or a Lehle Little Dual to see though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
There should be a code on the speakers in your cab. You can date them on the Celestion website
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Glad you fixed your tone.

Fyi- i have a version 1 Powerball and they get so much hate, but i think its because a lot of people eq them poorly. Engl was kind enough to provide the focus switch on it, which if not engaged you can achieve an incredibly mid scooped out tone if thats what you like. But with the focus switch engaged, it really fattens up your tone and gives a much warmer midrange tone. Really creams up leads and makes them liquidy, and gives you that full chunky rhythm tone similar to KSE imo. I like it a lot, but a lot of people dont seem too.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69