Howdy guys, so I played guitar ALOT for about 7 years and got decently good. Once I turned 18 I enlisted in the Marine Corps and stopped playing completely. Well, 4 years later I am really wanting to get back into my music.

Currently on the acoustic side I have a Sigma DM-2 and a Gregg Bennet TMJ-5-CE and love both of them. As for electrics, I don't have any here in CA with me, but back home I have the following:

Ibanez GRX20- (Not that good)
Squier affinity telecaster- (I've got a little sentimental attachment to this one)
Marshall VS30R- (Not that great of an amp, but good for beginners I guess)
Digitech RP80
Boss DS-1
Danelectro FAB Chorus and metal distortion pedals
BBE Boosta Grande (Got for $5 at a yard sale, not giving this one up)

I like playing some metal stuff like Metallica and Black Label Society, and I like playing bluesy stuff and some country as well.

My question is, should I sell all of this sub-par gear (Minus the Boosta grande) and buy new equipment now that I can afford it? I have thought about selling everything but the boosta and the tele and just upgrading the crappy parts of the tele to make it somewhat nicer, and buying an Orange Micro terror and cab to run it through. I've also thought about selling everything and building my own guitar from parts to my specs (I'm a huge DIY guy and love building things). What would you guys do? My budget isn't great, I get $150 a month to blow on whatever. Thanks.

Edit: I completely forgot the second half of my post! So I've been looking at different guitars, I would like to buy something under $500, if that means buying used then so be it. I like the Schecter C-1 plus, but I am not a fan of the fact that Schecter caters almost exclusively to metal as far as tone goes, but I am an absolute sucker for the flamed/quilted maple tops. Love 'em. Epi Les Pauls are nice as well. I've also thought about building though, probably a Les Paul style or something similar, still checking my options.
Last edited by oneuponu at Aug 3, 2014,
Sure, I think it's a good idea to get rid of the beginner gear if you don't like it. The Ibanez, the DS-1 and the Danos at least are really bad in my opinion I'm not sure about the marshall, but if it's a beginner amp you could do better.

Oranges are excellent for bluesy metal, but I'm not sure about the Micro Terror either, there's a lot of mixed reviews.

EDIT. Oh, about the guitars. If the Schecter has active pickups as a lot of them have, you can make it a whole lot less metal by swapping them for passives and modding coil taps/splits.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Aug 3, 2014,
I completely forgot the second half of my post! So I've been looking at different guitars, I would like to buy something under $500, if that means buying used then so be it. I like the Schecter C-1 plus, but I am not a fan of the fact that Schecter caters almost exclusively to metal as far as tone goes, but I am an absolute sucker for the flamed/quilted maple tops. Love 'em. Epi Les Pauls are nice as well. I've also thought about building though, probably a Les Paul style or something similar, still checking my options.

Selling the beginner gear won't hurt. If nothing else, whatever you sell it for can go into your war-chest for your new gear. However, since you've floated the idea of building your own, might I suggest you keep some of it to dissemble and practice your technique upon?

As for new gear, Agile would be a good option for you if you want to buy new. If you're willing to go used, there are many more options.

P.S. Thanks for your service, marine!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 3, 2014,
Dont buy a guitar because people suggest it is a good brand. There is no substitute to going to the store and trying the instruments till you find what fits you. Different makes have different qualities, and what osme say is better than others is arbitrary opinion. As far as electronics go, that digitech and danelectro stuff is shit, i dont think you could even sell it. Bundle it with your amp and ibanez to find a buyer, you wont get much money for all that stuff though
Id keep the Boss pedal though, its not a crazy distortion pedal, but it can add nice color to a tone in combination with other pedals, and boss pedals are built to last
As far as building your own guitar goes, if you want to do it because you want to do it go for it. If youre doing it to get a quality instrument for less money, dont waste your time. The tools and materials needed to make a guitar are expensive, not to mention you first few probably wouldnt be that great. I dont think you could make you first one for less than 1k-2k
Quote by oneuponu

My question is, should I sell all of this sub-par gear (Minus the Boosta grande) and buy new equipment now that I can afford it?

Yup.
Quote by oneuponu
I've also thought about selling everything and building my own guitar from parts to my specs

Um...No.
Quote by oneuponu

Edit: I completely forgot the second half of my post! So I've been looking at different guitars, I would like to buy something under $500, if that means buying used then so be it. I like the Schecter C-1 plus, but I am not a fan of the fact that Schecter caters almost exclusively to metal as far as tone goes, but I am an absolute sucker for the flamed/quilted maple tops. Love 'em. Epi Les Pauls are nice as well.

I recently bought the Variax JTV-89F; it was obviously aimed at the metal crowd as well, and available only in black and "blood red." On the other hand, it met every other spec I wanted, and none of the other Variax guitars really did. Turns out it's nearly perfect for what I wanted.

Schecter's C-1 series has some pretty good options. I don't think you'd have a problem finding something you'd like there.

Epi Les Pauls are fine, though I believe that the Agile AL series are significantly better LP-style guitars (for me, at least) dollar for dollar, and particularly in the $500 range. At the moment, Rondo's stock of Korean-made Agile ALs is a bit thin (Kurt gets in a container-load at a time and puts them up on the website and on eBay as he pulls them off the container). One current model stands out as an example -- the Agile AL-3100M CSB (http://www.rondomusic.com/product6966.html ).

REAL ebony fretboard with REAL MOP inlays, multi-layer binding on headstock and body, a 3/4" maple cap over a two-piece mahogany body, graphtech nut, graphtech bridge with string saver saddles, jumbo frets (hand filed), 13.7" radius, good tuners, one-piece solid mahogany neck, nickel plated hardware, two AlnicoV pickups (these are actually pretty good), and a SOLID body (no chambering) for $399 (plus case plus shipping). The necks on these are very comfortable, neither too thin nor too baseball-batty.

Cautions? These are SOLID body guitars, and can be heavy (10 lbs). On the other hand, the sustain is terrific. I've put my money where my mouth is; I have three Agile ALs, one of which is a 3100 and gainfully employed as one of my two Agile "bar guitars."

My favorite AL is out of your budget range -- the AL-3200 has most of the specs of the 3100, but ups the ante with neck-THROUGH construction, a smooth neck heel (like the Gibson Axcess) and a tummy cut. It includes the case at its $650 price tag. The neck is usually a sandwich of maple and walnut and is amazingly strong. Upper fret access is outstanding. http://www.rondomusic.com/cgi-rondomusic/sb/productsearch.cgi?storeid=*0c1421a8d614cc26 If you don't mind purple, this one's on sale at $499 including case: http://www.rondomusic.com/product5881.html
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys. I appreciate the help. So, I think my course of action is going to be selling the Ibanez, the digitech, the danelectro pedals and the amp as a package deal on craigslist or something, and put that money + some towards a nice low wattage tube amp. I'll probably keep the tele and just change what I don't like about it. Honestly it plays great, and I don't know if it sounds like shit or not because I have never played it through anything but the crap marshall I have. Maybe one day in the future I'll get the Schecter or the Agile (I really liked the looks and specs of those!) or even build my own.
Kill multiple birds with one stone: take your Tele to guitar stores and try out some low wattage amps, A/B ing your Tele with other guitars on the same amps:

1) it will let you get a feel for what is out there amp-wise and help you set your budget.

2) you'll begin to be able to hear the difference between your Tele and other guitars, which will help you refine your search for new guitars, if any.

3) you'll be able to talk to a tech about the changes you want to make on your Tele (if any) and how much the parts could cost.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by oneuponu
Thanks for all of the recommendations guys. I appreciate the help. So, I think my course of action is going to be selling the Ibanez, the digitech, the danelectro pedals and the amp as a package deal on craigslist or something, and put that money + some towards a nice low wattage tube amp. I'll probably keep the tele and just change what I don't like about it. Honestly it plays great, and I don't know if it sounds like shit or not because I have never played it through anything but the crap marshall I have. Maybe one day in the future I'll get the Schecter or the Agile (I really liked the looks and specs of those!) or even build my own.

+1 for Agile ALs. My $250 AL2000 Goldtop is incredible, trumps any and every Epi lp I've ever played, no matter the cost/model.

But I thought I'd comment on "package deal" idea. What are the odds someone else will want your exact setup, that you don't even want? You'd almost definitely get more money and the stuff would be easier to sell individually. Just a thought.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
You'd almost definitely get more money and the stuff would be easier to sell individually. Just a thought.

Good point.

Slow down, take your time. A good setup may take you a few years to create. When I bought my Martin D16GT for $1,250 it took me a year to save up for it, but you know what? In order to upgrade that guitar I would have to drop $2,300 or so to get the D18. Chances are, I'll never upgrade that guitar ever again and I'll be playing it for the next 30 years. The worst thing you could do is buy a guitar for $500 and then 2 years from now you'll want to upgrade it again, what a waste of $500. I'm saving up for a Gibson SG Standard right now, I'm putting aside $150 a month, it's going to take me a year to get that guitar, but just like the Martin D16GT, I'll never ever have to upgrade it again.
All very good points. I think I'll wait a bit and get some truly nice stuff I won't want to change or upgrade once the "new" wears off. Thanks for the help guys.