The title says it all. I'm allowed to play one song of my choosing. Anyone think bad horsie would be a good pick? I'm wondering if its to intermediate. The college is UAB of Alabama if that makes any difference. Thanks guys.
A rock/metal song isn't the best for a first impression/audition. Vai has some nice, more ambient/clean works like Tender Surrender that I think would be more appropriate. Bad Horsie displays moreso your ability to make an electric guitar make noises, and not your ability to proficiently play the instrument (which is what the judges are looking for).
agreed with above....also theres a lot more to the song than the whammy bar horsie bit....
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
if you're gonna do a vai song, do something he did with Frank Zappa so they don't just think you're another metal head, a song like bad horsie would probably be a terrible idea, don't pick anything with guitar ****ery, pick something especially musical.
really quick google gave me this
http://www.uab.edu/cas/music/images/forms_docs/2014-2015_Scholarship_and_Audition_Packet.pdf

Guitar:
Scales - major and minor keys - two or three octaves
Knowledge of basic chords and bar chords (M, m, 7, m7)
Any etudes from Sor, Carcassi, Carruli, or Giuliani
One fingered classical piece
Sightreading

imo, unless you are applying to a program that covers a lot of rock/pop courses like Berklee, its a bad idea to play that type of song. you could also just phone them and ask
yeah if you gotta go with proggy guitar, do black page or zomby woof

either way i'd just stick to the classics done well and done right. you're not there to push the boundaries of creativity - you're there to learn, and they're auditioning you to see if you have the technical discipline to train under them. guys like gilbert, vai, etc. humbled themselves, learned the fundamentals, and branched off from there

when you're joining the military, you don't wanna go in there saying 'i wanna be a killer, i wanna be a hero, i wanna stand out'. they want you to listen and learn, and if you're exceptional, you'll rise naturally. using showy gimmicks will only make you look unprofessional
If you want a Vai song, pick another one. Bad Horsie has too much riffing in it. Play something more melodic. Tender Surrender would be a better song because it's kind of rhythm and melody at the same time. It would work on guitar only - it doesn't necessarily need a band playing behind it. You may want to change the solo though because it may not sound good without any background.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
That would be great for a pop/contemporary performance program. It would also be an auto reject (cause it would prove you didn't even read the suggested audition rep) for a jazz or classically oriented program.
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
Do not do Bad Horsie... that's a pretty bad choice for a University audition.

It's a pretty standard classical and jazz faculty over there, so I'd aim for something clean without distortion. They are going to be focused on your ability to play in tune and play in time, they won't care about any blazing solos. If it's a classical guitar department, you should aim for something that is at least fingerstyle.
Quote by reverb66
Do not do Bad Horsie... that's a pretty bad choice for a University audition.

It's a pretty standard classical and jazz faculty over there, so I'd aim for something clean without distortion. They are going to be focused on your ability to play in tune and play in time, they won't care about any blazing solos. If it's a classical guitar department, you should aim for something that is at least fingerstyle.

ie, no Malmsteen.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115