I have to perform an Australian song, as part of a band, for school. Has anyone got any recommendations?

The catch: No swearing, easy-intermediate for all instruments, written by an Australian band, and NO SCREAMS/GROWLS ( our teacher won't let us. Even though we have a guy who can do them)
You should do an arrangement of And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, by Eric Bogle. He was Scottish born, but emigrated to Australia, and the song is about an Australian soldier at Gallipoli. So you've a double whammy of Australien-ness, no swearing, easy song whcih would be easy to arrange, and no screams/growls.
Quote by AnnihiSlateR
You should do an arrangement of And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda, by Eric Bogle. He was Scottish born, but emigrated to Australia, and the song is about an Australian soldier at Gallipoli. So you've a double whammy of Australien-ness, no swearing, easy song whcih would be easy to arrange, and no screams/growls.

Thanks, but we're looking for something a bit faster (which is why I posted it in the metal forum). Thanks anyway
Go for some Redgum. It's a long distance from metal but your only other option is to do some dadrock (ACDC or jimmy barnes stuff).

I suppose you could try finding an instrumental Woods of Desolation song but I imagine your teacher would hate it.
Yeah, anything by AC/DC is perfect, everything is really easy :P
Thunderstruck is probably the most fun
Quote by ferilyne
Yeah, anything by AC/DC is perfect, everything is really easy :P
Thunderstruck is probably the most fun

People chose ACDC already ;/

We tried arguing for Quantum Flux: Northlane, but he lost, and therefore got the shits.
Black Majesty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DScMf-SdEDA
You could rearrange it to be slightly simpler. Although you are somewhat limited when it comes to Metal. It's not exactly the easiest genre to play.

Damnation's Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_RoGikaq2U
If your music teacher has anything against the single scream at the end of this track then that's flat out wrong since similar styles are used in Jesus Christ Superstar (although not quite as intense).
Quote by HaydenHohns
Black Majesty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DScMf-SdEDA
You could rearrange it to be slightly simpler. Although you are somewhat limited when it comes to Metal. It's not exactly the easiest genre to play.

Damnation's Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_RoGikaq2U
If your music teacher has anything against the single scream at the end of this track then that's flat out wrong since similar styles are used in Jesus Christ Superstar (although not quite as intense).

Faces of War was pretty badass, but there's no tabs for it. And the guitars were fine in terms of speed
Quote by HaydenHohns
@auzzietaco: Exercise your ears as well then.

I'm still a semi-begginer, and horrible at listening for bass. I'd butcher the song, on not be able to do it at all
Quote by auzzietaco
Thanks, but we're looking for something a bit faster (which is why I posted it in the metal forum). Thanks anyway

That's why I said arrangement. Use the melody, chords and lyrics, but build your own sound around it.

I wasn't being entirely serious though. It was either that or Striborg.
Isn't Silverchair Australian? They have an instrumental song called "Cicado" I think that's metal-ish... Israel's Song might work too

edit: the instrumental I was thinking of is called Madman... not too difficult and is uptempo, but not extremely fast
Last edited by guitgrinder at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by auzzietaco
NO SCREAMS/GROWLS ( our teacher won't let us. Even though we have a guy who can do them)

That's a shame, you should illiterate with your teacher that the use of such vocalised contortions provide textural and percussive complementation. No instrumental sound is a pure sine fundamental on the sound spectrum , (Similar to frequency modulation synthesis) some even use pitchshifters on harsh agrotech vocals, compared to modern contemporary music it is far more relevant than ( A or B) songs where singers fail to hit unison with the bass line (kings of Leon, black veil brides, blink182, the beetles). (people buy people) and like any intelligible language metal communicates with those cultured with it mainly people that play instruments well. There is a basic fear and anger connotation that is attributed to less advanced metal by non-instrument playing audiences, metal functionality is much the same as wood stock in the 70s , some has urban sentiment and some is science fiction based. Like Greek theatre or Shakespeare.

There is commercial generic ill-conceived metal that seeks to provide a high attrition low retention Omni-gender teenage outlet such as parkway drive/ white chapel/screaming emo that actually exists using concepts of tension - release- call- response to shatter and cliché retrospective alt culture with a parallel-safe-capitalist-hyper-sexualised catalyst. I always identified with metal because I play guitar ,love comic books and action movies, at school unlike all my friends I didn't want to play indie-love songs for some middle class parental-charade (year one nativity play) seemed to be a social reaction to the Teen-sex-heart-throbe hedonism that plagues our pop world, similar to the social-political- sarcasm in 90s LA rap music.

Does your teacher even teach or encourage song writing? or does he deliver a non comprehensive syllabus designed to favour nepotism and social elitism. Play green day or meshuggah that's what everyone at my school played. pointless, how about anti drug bands like redhot chili peppers or alice in chains!!!!! hit him hard with some nylon guitar.
Last edited by 094568029434geo at Aug 6, 2014,
Quote by 094568029434geo
Mesa Jar Jar Binks

Ooh mooey mooey I love you

Agreed
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Australian!? You gotta go with Tame Impala then, do Alter Ego or Expectation.
Quote by 094568029434geo

Does your teacher even teach or encourage song writing? or does he deliver a non comprehensive syllabus designed to favour nepotism and social elitism.

Didn't expect to read an essay on the UG forums haha

One of our arguments was that it doesn't list what type of music is to be played for the task, only that it is Australian. He gave up after that, and hasn't said anything since.

The syllabus is grouped into 3 sections: Western Art (classical) music, Australian music, and popular music. The running theme with them is learning either the guitar, bass, keyboard, drums, or vocals. He encourages songwriting, but only really using a vocal melody and chords.

I don't think his problem is to do with the specific style of music, just the vocal technique. He's just a closed minded person who thinks because it isn't standard, it's useless. We even recommended bands that used what was essentially just loud singing, and he objected. I don't think he has a social/political agenda, he's just a dickhead who isn't ok with something that isn't the same 2-3 chords repeated.