Hey y'all,

I have an Epiphone Riviera :

I love it but the little **** won't stay in tune properly! I don't get why...
I use Ernie Ball 11/48 strings (it came with 9/46). Everything else is stock.

Do you think it has something to do with the nut ? I don't know if it's a bone nut or a plastic one, but it's stock, like the bridge.

The guitar has great action, no buzz whatsoever, and great intonation.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thanks!
Last edited by alans056 at Jan 6, 2015,
The usual culprit is the nut. I would imagine its plastic on an epi. You could try some graphite in the grooves of the nut (use a pencil tip in a pinch). See if that helps, if not you may have to do a little filing to keep the strings from binding.
nut slots probably need to be made a little bigger since your strings are bigger than what it was designed for-- gibsons are set up for 10s
Quote by LivinJoke84
Take it to a guitar tech. It probably just needs a good set up and/or a new nut

I don't think it needs a new nut, most likely a new setup and as suggested, maybe a bit of filing too.
I don't understand why they are made to such "precision" that .11 set wouldn't fit. I mean, it is not that big of a hassle. My Gibson had the slots filed for .12 set and later I started using .11s. No tuning problems what so ever. When I sold it, I put .10s in it and still no problems.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Can I buy any nut on amazon or ebay that has the same weight and replace it ?

When you say "needs a good setup" I'm not sure, because everything else on the guitar is amazing (action, intonation, no fret buzz, etc)
The nut slots need to be filed to accommodate the bigger string gauge. Epiphone tuning issues are almost always because the nut. Take it to a tech and have them slot the nut and do anything else that needs to be done to keep it in tune
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The nut slots need to be filed to accommodate the bigger string gauge. Epiphone tuning issues are almost always because the nut. Take it to a tech and have them slot the nut and do anything else that needs to be done to keep it in tune

ah great thanks. But the nut must be plastic as it's epiphone... is it not too much of an issue or should I buy a better quality one online ?
Quote by alans056
ah great thanks. But the nut must be plastic as it's epiphone... is it not too much of an issue or should I buy a better quality one online ?

You can certainly get a better nut like a Graphtech, Tusq or Bone nut. But I have an Epiphone G-400 and after slotting the nut for my gauge I have very little issue with it staying in tune. A new nut graphtech/tusq nut will cost $15ish, but make sure you measure the nut width so you buy the correct one if your gonna go this route
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate