Can I plug a head into one speaker of a 2x12 cabinet and use it like that? Tried to search but too many irrelevant things came out.
Depends on a few factors. The impedance needs to match (or be a safe mismatch) and the single speaker needs to be rated for the amp's full output.
Rated for the amps full output as in capable of handling the output correct?
Well for the most part, just looking at plugging a mini rectifier into a 2x12 rectifier cabinet and curious if I can just use one speaker if 2x12 is too loud in some places like an apartment.
Last edited by Dound at Aug 4, 2014,
Using one speaker only won't cut down the volume much.
Around 3dB if the speakers are the same - turning down the master volume would be much much much more effective.

Or you could use a lower sensitivity speaker, though it would get overshadowed by the other, more sensitive speaker you'd be using along with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Mini Rec has a really good master volume circuit. Turn it down and turn up the bass to taste and to compensate for how our ears perceive sound.. A much better solution. Still too loud? Turn the amp off and save it for gigs. A headphone interface is in your future.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 4, 2014,
So you're saying I should just use the two speakers and rely more on the master volume instead of trying to cut the 3db?
Quote by Dound
So you're saying I should just use the two speakers and rely more on the master volume instead of trying to cut the 3db?

exactly!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

3dB might not sound like much, but to our ears it is half the volume. FYI

Some people actually prefer speaker clipping as compared to amp clipping aswell... I don't know who but you don't always have to have a speaker rated at or over your amps output rating.
Last edited by spicyfourpiece at Aug 4, 2014,
Quote by spicyfourpiece
3dB might not sound like much, but to our ears it is half the volume. FYI

Negative ghostrider. +3db is double the acoustic energy but +10db is double the apparent loudness to our ears. It's complicated when you change electrical energy into acoustic energy but this covers the physics pretty well:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

+3db is audibly different but we are talking about the difference between 109db and 112db SPL.

Quote by Dound
Well for the most part, just looking at plugging a mini rectifier into a 2x12 rectifier cabinet and curious if I can just use one speaker if 2x12 is too loud in some places like an apartment.

Oh, if THAT's the reason you're doing it, don't bother. Won't help.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Negative ghostrider. +3db is double the acoustic energy but +10db is double the apparent loudness to our ears. It's complicated when you change electrical energy into acoustic energy but this covers the physics pretty well:

+3db is audibly different but we are talking about the difference between 109db and 112db SPL.

This. 3dB is half/double power depending on +/-. In reality you probably won't even cut that much. The 3dB thing assumes that the power isn't split between the extra speaker, which isn't true. In reality, all you're likely to lose/gain is bass response and frequency spread.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Half the perceived loudness isn't an exact number of dB's.
I agree with all the rest though.
Quote by spicyfourpiece
Some people actually prefer speaker clipping as compared to amp clipping aswell... I don't know who but you don't always have to have a speaker rated at or over your amps output rating.
Speakers don't clip signals even when they distort it.
If you don't have a cab rated at the same or more than your amp's power and you turn the amp all the way up, you're probably gonna cook the speakers unless they're rated very generously, and while they might be that's not a thing I'd count on.

If you want distortion from speakers get small or low quality speakers rated at the same power than your amp TS, less would be kind of an hazard.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Half the perceived loudness isn't an exact number of dB's.

i agree that it is much more complicated, dealing with the frequency content of the sound, duration of the sound and dealing with A weight curves and all but there is a fairly well agreed upon doubling/halving of loudness associated with 10 dB. a doubling of power is a +3 dB, doubling of voltage/amplitude is a +6 dB, a doubling of perceived loudness is generally considered a +10 dB.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/voltageloudness.html

http://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/

is this absolute? no, pure tones aren't as 'loud' sounding as complex noises. distorted/clipped sounds are 'louder' than undistorted sounds. sounds of different frequencies will change 'loudness' at different rates at different intensities (a weight curves).

but there is an agreed upon standard of +10dB is equivalent to a doubling of perceived loudness

Quote by mmolteratx
In reality, all you're likely to lose/gain is bass response and frequency spread.

+1

if nothing else, phase cancellation will change the frequency content of the output signal and keep anyone of 'gaining' much volume.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I'll keep things relevant instead of making a new thread. Would an attenuator like a THD hotplate work better for such a thing? Also how do attenuators work?
i changed the order of the question for better flow

Quote by Dound
Also how do attenuators work?

your amp sends electrical current to the speaker(s). an attenuator sits between the amp and the speaker and absorbs some of this current (it converts the power to heat). thus you speakers get less current and therefore are not as loud

Quote by Dound
Would an attenuator like a THD hotplate work better for such a thing?

i have a THD hotplate in my THD bivalve. i don't like it, i pretty much bypass it all the time.

the attenuators i have tried (which are few mind you) are not that successful at giving you the full on driven amp sound they claim they will give you. the more signal you throw to the attenuator the more dull you signal sounds. i find attenuators sounds the best when you use them very little, which kinda makes them not so useful... so i just keep mine turned off.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Aug 4, 2014,
I'll take that into consideration. I'd like to read more input if anyone else has anything to add. Not to say that you are wrong, because I believe you. Just looking for more instances.
A Mini Rec (or any Recto for that matter) isn't really supposed to be run into power amp distortion. They're a metal amp, the distortion is supposed to come from the preamp. Therefore an attenuator is about as useful as a condom vending machine in the Vatican.
Just use the Master Volume to tame the volume. Less speakers and/or an attenuator is a waste of time.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification