Wondering if anyone owns these and what are your thoughts?

I am currently on Alesis Mk II with power amp for home mixing but I think I might be due to upgrade as more and more I am doing projects at home and not in the studio.
How's your room size, is it treated, where would you put the monitors relatively to the walls, how much money do you have, and what kinda music will you be mixing with it?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I am asking about the monitors strictly at this point. Assume that everything else is fine as I am currently happy with these, they are just more budget and smear a bit. The Yamaha's sound as cardboard, kinda reminiscent of the NS-10 and I liked them in the store but want to gather some opinions before I commit. They go for about $500-$600 locally for the more expensive ones.

Genre - mostly rock, blues, metal
Quote by diabolical
I am asking about the monitors strictly at this point. Assume that everything else is fine as I am currently happy with these, they are just more budget and smear a bit. The Yamaha's sound as cardboard, kinda reminiscent of the NS-10 and I liked them in the store but want to gather some opinions before I commit. They go for about $500-$600 locally for the more expensive ones.

Genre - mostly rock, blues, metal

My HS80Ms sound nothing like NS10s

I've tried both and prefer the larger speaker in the HS8s, but both are very good monitors and will do well in either situation. In a smallish room, the 7s might do better, or if you plan to use a sub at any point, but as an all-round speaker, I'd go with the 8s. Love my older generation ones - my mixes have never translated better since getting them... and I've owned monitors that were FAR more expensive
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by diabolical
I am asking about the monitors strictly at this point. Assume that everything else is fine as I am currently happy with these, they are just more budget and smear a bit.
HS8's are bigger and are rear ported - the room will react to them differently from the Alesis', so positioning and treatment are important.
Also even if you're happy about your monitors now it doesn't mean they couldn't sound better with proper room treatment if it's already there.
Quote by diabolical
The Yamaha's sound as cardboard, kinda reminiscent of the NS-10 and I liked them in the store but want to gather some opinions before I commit. They go for about $500-$600 locally for the more expensive ones.
Again, they sound pretty damn different from the NS-10M's.
You sure you tried HS8's and not MSP7's?
'cause the latter are supposed to sound like NS10M's upgrades.

I wouldn't say you'll ever need a sub for that kinda stuff, so between the two I'd go for the HS8's, though you may wanna try other stuff first.
Equator D8's for example, which have a lovely return policy.
And if you really like the HS8's it may be worth buying the ZenPro modded ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.