I've done this twice before. Two of my amps weren't available for me to try. Luckily, I never regretted buying them. My three guitars, however, were available to try and I played them for hours on end before committing.

The other day, I tried the PRS S2 Starla and I really enjoyed it. I didn't like the aesthetics though, but it isn't a big deal. I never really gave PRS a chance beforehand, so I looked into the S2 series some more, and I've come to really like the series. I love the Mira as much as I could without using it for myself. The problem is, only try the Starla and the Custom 22 are in my area. Both are nice guitars (from what I can tell about the Custom 22 from YouTube, at least) but from all the videos on YouTube about the series, I have an inkling that the Mira would be my favorite, tonally and aesthetically.

How do you deal with the issue of wanting to try gear and not being able to do so? Is there a simpler, less cumbersome method than buying online and returning it for a refund if it's not what I wanted?
I sleep on it for many days and then leap on it if I'm truly set on getting it.

Haven't returned guitars, but I've returned some amps and some modelers.

I also sort of live in the middle of nowhere.

If you're considering an S2, you can get a used PRS Custom for a similar price. I'd look into that.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Go over the specs with a fine-toothed comb and see how close the PRS S2s that you can try are to the Mira. Things like the neck profile etc.

But yeah if you live in the middle of nowhere and paying loads of money to travel somewhere you can try the thing is a false economy, I'm not aware of any way other than just eventually biting the bullet and buying online and returning it if you don't like it. Or chickening out and buying what you can try.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Buy, try, and return (paying for shipping) if you don't like it. That's the cost of living outside a main metropolitan area. Check out the return policy carefully!!! Watch out for restocking charges and short return time windows.
If you buy from Guitarcenter.com you can take it to a physical Guitar Center to return it and you get 30 days. You wouldn't have to worry about shipping it back if you live near a GC.

I'm not sure if that's only for used gear now that I think about it. I've never returned something new from Guitar Center.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
to me its what i buy and who they are.

MF can be manipulated enough to get you a refund and pay the shipping too. they have never done me wrong, other than waiting a few days.

really now things i order i have been buying my guitars from guitarsandeffects.com or reverb.com

i trust them. not worry a bit.

i also sometimes go across forums if i feel comfortable about the person and their reputation (most of you that are on most days for a year or two i would likely not worry).

i never buy anything for GC because of tax, unless its used (and i got messed around with problems with used twice) i have had more problems with GC than any of the other sites above combined.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Buying without trying is not without risks to be 100% honest, but it has its own rewards, as well.

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and I have found that- even though I can find all kinds of guitars around here, most of the time, what I want isn't available. Result: most of my 20+ guitars were bought over the phone or via Internet.

Some makers ONLY sell via the Internet these days, unless you're within driving distance of the home-office or factory.

Just do your research, shop around, and buy from reputable sources with good return policies. If you're skittish about a purchase, contact the seller directly. I have asked builders what major-name guitars felt most like their product. Most have told me or directed me to key reviews.

Another option I have done a couple of times: see if you can get your favorite local music shop to make the purchase for you, with the understanding that if the guitar is delivered in good shape and is suitable, that you WILL purchase it. This helps you because you can probsbly have their tech inspect and set up the guitar to your taste before you even try it out, and business-to-business purchases are covered under slightly different laws than business-to-consumer. Not every store will agree to it, but if they do, it can work out great- the first time I did it, the store became one of the biggest sellers of that brand in the region.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Buying without trying is not without risks to be 100% honest, but it has its own rewards, as well.

Yeah, like most things it's a judgement call and you pays your money and takes your choice.

I'd also saying buying in a store isn't 100% risk-free, either- in Europe you forfeit a number of consumer rights if you buy in a bricks-and-mortar shop (you legally lose the right to return it if you merely don't like it, though some shops may well go above and beyond this with a return policy anyway, but I would definitely not assume a store has that policy unless they black-and-white advertise that they do- I've seen at least one shop with "All in-store sales are FINAL!" notices on the wall ), you also can't completely guarantee that you might not miss something in an in-store inspection, etc. etc.

I mean, how many of the "Only buy in store, that's the only safe way to buy!" crowd flips something they've bought instore? Judging by the internet, an awful lot. Or else their idea of "perfect" is a lot different from mine- I've never flipped any guitars.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ditto that! I'm having trouble parting with a barely played (but good) Yamaha classical and my old Dean Special Select EVO. That guitar is a surprise- despite its $500 price tag and its status as an entry/mid level guitar, it feels good in the hands, and holds tune like it was set in stone. It just needs better pickups.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I've bought practically everything I've owned before trying it - I just make sure to buy it cheap enough that I could sell it for the same price I got it for, or more. That way, there's little risk if I don't end up liking it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ditto that! I'm having trouble parting with a barely played (but good) Yamaha classical and my old Dean Special Select EVO. That guitar is a surprise- despite its $500 price tag and its status as an entry/mid level guitar, it feels good in the hands, and holds tune like it was set in stone. It just needs better pickups.

20+ guitars, can't "afford" another amp...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by lemurflames
If you're considering an S2, you can get a used PRS Custom for a similar price. I'd look into that.

As much as I'd love a higher-end guitar, I figure a PRS Custom will be even tougher to find.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Go over the specs with a fine-toothed comb and see how close the PRS S2s that you can try are to the Mira. Things like the neck profile etc.

I might try this, this seems to be the next best thing.

Quote by Dave_Mc
But yeah if you live in the middle of nowhere and paying loads of money to travel somewhere you can try the thing is a false economy, I'm not aware of any way other than just eventually biting the bullet and buying online and returning it if you don't like it. Or chickening out and buying what you can try.

The funny thing is, I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I live in a NYC suburb.

If I buy only what I've tried, I feel like there'll always be some part of my mind wondering if I would have enjoyed the Mira more.

Quote by tas38
If you buy from Guitarcenter.com you can take it to a physical Guitar Center to return it and you get 30 days. You wouldn't have to worry about shipping it back if you live near a GC.

I didn't know this. Thanks. Yeah, I live close to a handful of Guitar Centers.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Another option I have done a couple of times: see if you can get your favorite local music shop to make the purchase for you, with the understanding that if the guitar is delivered in good shape and is suitable, that you WILL purchase it. This helps you because you can probsbly have their tech inspect and set up the guitar to your taste before you even try it out, and business-to-business purchases are covered under slightly different laws than business-to-consumer. Not every store will agree to it, but if they do, it can work out great- the first time I did it, the store became one of the biggest sellers of that brand in the region.

I can't imagine a lot of people would, in good faith, order a guitar of such a price with the hopes that a person might potentially buy it. I'm also sure there aren't any stores around here that aren't major retailers, anyway.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd also saying buying in a store isn't 100% risk-free, either- in Europe you forfeit a number of consumer rights if you buy in a bricks-and-mortar shop (you legally lose the right to return it if you merely don't like it, though some shops may well go above and beyond this with a return policy anyway, but I would definitely not assume a store has that policy unless they black-and-white advertise that they do- I've seen at least one shop with "All in-store sales are FINAL!" notices on the wall ), you also can't completely guarantee that you might not miss something in an in-store inspection, etc. etc.

Luckily for me in this situation, I live in the states. Businesses go to great lengths here to cater to customers, and refunds are quite common. I don't 100% agree with it, I think lowly of returning a product for a refund for reasons other than it being faulty.

If you should one day come to the states, I'll bet you money that if you go to several restaurants, you can return the food for a refund even if you'd eaten half of it and didn't like it. You'll also be able to return your food if you forgot to ask for your specifications. They'll make you another. It's ridiculous, really.
I always try before I buy unless the intent was to modify it.

My buying process is to go to the store, and then look around, find what I want to try out, and then try it out first, check the details next, and then check the price, through that, I'm able to eliminate them.

- play the guitar, see how it sounds, check all switch settings, pickups, play up and down the neck

- check to make sure neck is straight, neck relief is good, pickup heights are good, see how much setup work I would need to "invest" before It passes my standards

- Check the price and go against my own brain on what it would cost to build, buy new, or find another one (if custom) stock and tweak it up to spec. If it is within a certain, variable amount, I will pick the pre-existing instrument over another.

I may also let a guitar "hang" awhile before I buy it as my BEST guitars were all bought this way....sort of the "if you let it go and it comes back to you then it's yours" thing....

1985 Kramer Focus 3000 - my first electric which I've played to death, while it was a bastketcase, it did teach me guitar, and I learned a lot of guitar building/modding stuff on it as well. The guitar was found at the Auburn Guitar Shoppe in January 1995, I got it for Xmas that same year....Mark and Curtis said it had my name all over it.

1996 Fender Jag-Stang - Same shop, same guys, same deal. Jag-Stang appears in October 1998 at the Shoppe, hangs on the rack until December, took a little prodding from another interested buyer to put it on Layaway. Same thing, Mark and Matt said my name is written all over this one, got her home on my 16th birthday, she's been the best guitar I've ever owned. Still my main to this day.

I've only owned really own two guitars that I bought without playing first, my Fender Jaguar, and my Hondo Paul Dean II. The Jaguar because I knew it was a quality instrument when I first laid eyes upon it, and the Hondo because they are so super rare and the deal was too good to pass up.

The Jaguar was intended as a project, but ended up being darned-near perfect as/is, I just yanked the TOM, did some cosmetic upgrades to the pickups (cool rails look stupid without something to fill out the extra space where they attach in a Jaguar pickup rout), the original intent was to do black-out treatment (black pickup covers & pickguard) with Novaks and a Mustang bridge but that never came to fruition. This one is within 0.5 spec of my #1 Jag-Stang, I often call it the "second main" as it's my main drop-tuning guitar.

The Hondo was 100% perfect and even with the cheaper Hondo pickups in it, it still sounds great, actually, it has THAT tone I was looking for. My only complaint was the low E falls off the nut sometimes if I play way too hard, but nothing I can't fix with a needle file anyway. This guitar has seen a lot of stage-time non-stop since I got it as well.

When I bought the Squier VM, I tried the white one I got out TWICE, first at the store in Everett, then had them bring it over to Lynnwood so I Could try it out against the Sunburst and the Black - the burst sounded better but looks too much like my Jaguar, the Black one was horrid, but the Olympic White one I tried out 4 months before was just right. It's the first bass I have not been able to put down for an extended period of time.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by chrismendiola

(a) I might try this, this seems to be the next best thing.

(b) The funny thing is, I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I live in a NYC suburb.

If I buy only what I've tried, I feel like there'll always be some part of my mind wondering if I would have enjoyed the Mira more.

(c) Luckily for me in this situation, I live in the states. Businesses go to great lengths here to cater to customers, and refunds are quite common. I don't 100% agree with it, I think lowly of returning a product for a refund for reasons other than it being faulty.

If you should one day come to the states, I'll bet you money that if you go to several restaurants, you can return the food for a refund even if you'd eaten half of it and didn't like it. You'll also be able to return your food if you forgot to ask for your specifications. They'll make you another. It's ridiculous, really.

(a) yeah

(b) ah right, maybe there are even stores which you aren't aware of near you which might have it in stock? hit up the yellow pages

(c) yeah. I mean there are a ton of consumer protection laws in europe and the UK, maybe more than the USA, but the ironic thing is that because of that businesses often go by the letter of the law, whereas in the USA they seem to go above and beyond a lot more. Might just be my feeling, which could be way off.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I can't imagine a lot of people would, in good faith, order a guitar of such a price with the hopes that a person might potentially buy it. I'm also sure there aren't any stores around here that aren't major retailers, anyway.

To clarify, by entering into the agreement with the store- which was a family owned business- I was on the hook to buy the guitar as long as the store felt the guitar was in good shape after they inspected it. So I gave up the right to return it or not purchase it if it was merely not my taste or slightly uncomfortable, but had extra protections in case there was some kind of defect or it was damaged in transit.

And as it turned out, the company actually sent the wrong guitar. It was still a killer axe, the one they sent, just one pickup short and the wrong color. The store owners even offered to let me out of the deal so they could sell ito someone else...because there had been several inquiries when they unboxed it for inspection.

Ultimately, the guitar company rectified the situation by sending the regional rep to the store with the correct guitar. Since it was a higher-end guitars with a limited production run, he said that corporate didn't want the mis-sent axe going back to the factory, and asked if I wanted to buy IT as well.

I explained that, while I'd like nothing more, I simply didn't have the $$$ to do so...even with the discount he then offered me.* (I didn't buy it, but the store kept it and sold it to someone else.)

* I SHOULD have gotten out the old credit card. I've seen that axe- I know its production run number- on sale online, and it has appreciated in value.

You need to look at used PRS Mira and CE22/24 these are IMO far superior to the S2 line *(which is still quite nice) and they run <$1000 used from GC all the time
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Arby911
20+ guitars, can't "afford" another amp...

I am the Irish Setter of guitar gear: I start saving up for something and as fast as you can say "SQUIRREL!!!", I've gone and bought something else.

(That's part of the story, anyhow.)

The funny thing is, I don't live in the middle of nowhere. I live in a NYC suburb. If I buy only what I've tried, I feel like there'll always be some part of my mind wondering if I would have enjoyed the Mira more.

Yeah, you're kind of in the same boat I am.

But like Dave_MC says, there probably are some smaller stores you just don't know about with different stock...though I'd be surprised if none of the major chains there had PRS in stock. Most of the GCs down here have PRS as one of their major brands, alongside Fender, Gibson, Schecter, Ibanez, Gretsch and a few others.

Still, I suppose there could be regional variations- try looking here to see if anyone near you stocks them:
http://www.prsguitars.com/dealer.php

Biggest thing I've bought without trying is my Variax.
I studied it thoroughly before I bought it though.

I regret nothing about buying it. Best playing guitar and possibly best sounding so far.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Dave_Mc
(b) ah right, maybe there are even stores which you aren't aware of near you which might have it in stock? hit up the yellow pages

I'd guess that tangible directories are very hard to find, and for that matter, that many businesses still use them given that we live in an era dominated by the Internet.

Quote by Dave_Mc
(c) yeah. I mean there are a ton of consumer protection laws in europe and the UK, maybe more than the USA, but the ironic thing is that because of that businesses often go by the letter of the law, whereas in the USA they seem to go above and beyond a lot more. Might just be my feeling, which could be way off.

You're not alone in your feeling. I don't have firsthand experience living in both continents, though I know someone who does and has commented that businesses in the United States moves oceans to cater to customers.
Quote by Robbgnarly
You need to look at used PRS Mira and CE22/24 these are IMO far superior to the S2 line *(which is still quite nice) and they run <$1000 used from GC all the time

I plan to look higher tier PRS gear, but that seems more difficult than finding an S2, if anything. The day I tried the S2 Starla, I asked if the small selection in front of me as all they had from PRS, and the salesman said yes, and that they were going to stop carrying USA made PRS guitars altogether. Nothing from the used selection, either.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
But like Dave_MC says, there probably are some smaller stores you just don't know about with different stock...though I'd be surprised if none of the major chains there had PRS in stock. Most of the GCs down here have PRS as one of their major brands, alongside Fender, Gibson, Schecter, Ibanez, Gretsch and a few others.

Still, I suppose there could be regional variations- try looking here to see if anyone near you stocks them:
http://www.prsguitars.com/dealer.php

I looked through these already, and I checked with every dealer that is within an hour's drive from where I live. I guess I'll have to expand my search to shops that would require some more traveling.

One GC has an S2 Starla, a few from the SE series, and another two or three Private Stock. Another Guitar Center has no PRS guitars at all. One Sam Ash has an S2 Custom 22. They're here, it just isn't the ideal selection for someone who wants to explore the manufacturer's offerings a great deal.

I'll look again into smaller music shops, but as far as I know, none of them sell guitars. There are a few that sell brass, woodwinds, and/or classical stringed instruments. I guess the two Guitar Centers and the one Sam Ash dominated the market too much.
Quote by chrismendiola
(a) I'd guess that tangible directories are very hard to find, and for that matter, that many businesses still use them given that we live in an era dominated by the Internet.

(b) You're not alone in your feeling. I don't have firsthand experience living in both continents, though I know someone who does and has commented that businesses in the United States moves oceans to cater to customers.

(a) Is the yellow pages not online in the USA? It is here in the UK, anyway.

Better yet, though, as danny said, just look up the "dealers" section of the PRS website. that's probably a quicker and easier way to achieve much the same thing.

However, non-dealers might still have a second-hand example in stock, which the yellow pages (if you can find them) might tell you. sometimes you get lucky. A couple of things I was wanting to try and had resigned myself to never getting to try as there were no dealers in ireland I got to try because of second-hand stuff for sale in non-dealers.

(b) Yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 5, 2014,
Also check your local Craigslist, eBay, and sites like these:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=prs+s2+starla
http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=PRS+s2+starla&x=-472&y=-11

You're more likely to find a used one those places, and one of those sellers may be closer than you realize.

Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) Is the yellow pages not online in the USA? It is here in the UK, anyway.

Ah, I didn't realise YP is online now. I did try YP but it was for nowt. I learned of a few more stores around me, but they've all been closed.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Better yet, though, as danny said, just look up the "dealers" section of the PRS website. that's probably a quicker and easier way to achieve much the same thing.

This was the first thing I tried.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Also check your local Craigslist, eBay, and sites like these:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=prs+s2+starla
http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=PRS+s2+starla&x=-472&y=-11

You're more likely to find a used one those places, and one of those sellers may be closer than you realize.

Those two sites are new to me, thanks for that. I'll be looking into used gear (and most likely buying used) once I've made a decision and saved up the sufficient amount of money. My problem is finding them to try so as to ascertain which one I'll be purchasing.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by chrismendiola
I live in a NYC suburb.

then there is every model S2 that PRS makes at either your local GC or Sam Ash store.

you can try any of them locally. go to 42nd street and spend some time hitting up the big stores.

plus they will cut you a nice deal if you say you intend to buy online. the sales people at either store don't want to lose the sale to the online stores, even if it is their online store because they won't see a penny in commission.

work em bro.
Quote by gregs1020
then there is every model S2 that PRS makes at either your local GC or Sam Ash store.

you can try any of them locally. go to 42nd street and spend some time hitting up the big stores.

I did address this, so I guess you think I'm lying. I go to Guitar Center nearly every time when work lets me out on break. I also called the other Guitar Center and Sam Ash. The GC guy said the store wasn't carrying any, and the guy from Sam Ash said he has only the Custom 22, and that was it. I even used the GC website to search inventories of nearby stores for the S2 series. This is what it gave me...

Union Square (19 mi)
North Attleboro (156 mi)
Brookfield (736 mi)
Nashville (767 mi)

The Union Square store only has a Custom 24, according to GC's website.
Quote by chrismendiola
(a) Ah, I didn't realise YP is online now. I did try YP but it was for nowt. I learned of a few more stores around me, but they've all been closed.

(b) This was the first thing I tried.

(a) ah no worries. Worth a shot, I guess.

(b) LOL, no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by chrismendiola
I did address this, so I guess you think I'm lying. I go to Guitar Center nearly every time when work lets me out on break. I also called the other Guitar Center and Sam Ash. The GC guy said the store wasn't carrying any, and the guy from Sam Ash said he has only the Custom 22, and that was it. I even used the GC website to search inventories of nearby stores for the S2 series. This is what it gave me...

Union Square (19 mi)
North Attleboro (156 mi)
Brookfield (736 mi)
Nashville (767 mi)

The Union Square store only has a Custom 24, according to GC's website.

I don't know if things have changed, but GC used to order stuff, & let you return it within 30 days anyway if you weren't 100% happy with it. Maybe they've changed that policy, but I haven't shopped there for a long time.

BTW-Greg isn't saying you're lying. No sense getting squirrelly. He's trying to help. He used to work at Sam Ash for a few years, so he knows how they work.

If you're this concerned, you've already answered your own question, & simply need to travel to check it out before you buy. I understand that about guitars, since amps aren't as subjective. I played 40 different Les Pauls of the same model before I bought the one that felt best, but I had a full pro setup/fret level done on it anyway immediately to make it perfect. I've also purchased a Gibson faded V from MF sight unseen when my local GC didn't have any to try, & it came perfectly set up. Didn't change a thing except the lead pickup.
It just depends on your risk tolerance.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
I don't know if things have changed, but GC used to order stuff, & let you return it within 30 days anyway if you weren't 100% happy with it. Maybe they've changed that policy, but I haven't shopped there for a long time.

BTW-Greg isn't saying you're lying. No sense getting squirrelly. He's trying to help. He used to work at Sam Ash for a few years, so he knows how they work.

If "squirrelly" is suggesting I was reacting negatively, I wasn't. What I said was in jest. I didn't actually take offense.

Quote by riffhog
If you're this concerned, you've already answered your own question, & simply need to travel to check it out before you buy. I understand that about guitars, since amps aren't as subjective. I played 40 different Les Pauls of the same model before I bought the one that felt best, but I had a full pro setup/fret level done on it anyway immediately to make it perfect. I've also purchased a Gibson faded V from MF sight unseen when my local GC didn't have any to try, & it came perfectly set up. Didn't change a thing except the lead pickup.
It just depends on your risk tolerance.

I've since expanded my search parameters, nothing yet for sure within a travel distance of an hour and a half.

However, I just found out earlier today that a Guitar Center opened up in Times Square roughly four hours ago. It's about 28,000 sq. ft. or 2,600 square meters depending on your preference. Whether or not it's even there, I'm still excited to check it out.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that traveling back and forth will require a great deal of effort and money as well. I juggle a lot of endeavors, the least important of which is work (which is the opposite to most, I know), but taking a day off from work is money lost- rougly estimating, about $70 or $80). It may not be the best solution that ends in me purchasing the guitar.
Last edited by chrismendiola at Aug 7, 2014,
Definitely worth a look!

Quote by chrismendiola

I've since expanded my search parameters, nothing yet for sure within a travel distance of an hour and a half.

However, I just found out earlier today that a Guitar Center opened up in Times Square roughly four hours ago. It's about 28,000 sq. ft. or 2,600 square meters depending on your preference. Whether or not it's even there, I'm still excited to check it out.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that traveling back and forth will require a great deal of effort and money as well. I juggle a lot of endeavors, the least important of which is work (which is the opposite to most, I know), but taking a day off from work is money lost- rougly estimating, about $70 or $80). It may not be the best solution that ends in me purchasing the guitar.

Wow nice (that new GC)

But it definitely is a judgement call, and only one you can make yourself (regarding the travelling etc.). As long as you're ok with the decision, and are willing to live with the consequences, it's all good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lemurflames
I sleep on it for many days and then leap on it if I'm truly set on getting it.

Doesn't that damage the gear?
I was hoping someone would have a different method. I guess I'll look for it in Times Square, I'm betting on it being there. Should it not be, I'll order it from a company with a no-return policy.
I usually buy before I try. You have a lot more options online. Like others have said MF is great on returns. I've gotten a few nice guitars from them and have gotten a few lemons but they always took care of it. I've had pretty good luck from ebay as well.