I know this is a weird comparison.
I also know that i have a tendency to to over-analyze, but please bear with me. I'm harmless.

I have a PRS SE with very little wear. It's a good playing guitar but I'm not convinced that the EMG pickups are right for me. Will i regret giving up on active pickups in a year or two when I am a better player? I don't know.
I love the neck and it's a very comfortable and trouble-free guitar. It also has a coil tap feature which gives it some versatility. I use that quite a bit.

On the other side of the aisle is me drooling over Strats. If I had a spare 1200 dollars I would run straight to the music shop and buy myself a MiA Fat Strat. I like the fat 50s equipped models and the eric johnson strat - which sounds different but is very cool.

A yellow g&l legacy just popped up on craigslist. It's a 98 and it has some wear on it but it looks alright in the photos. SSS configuration. He's asking 550 but he's also entertaining trade offers.
Yellow isn't my first color choice but it's not exactly a turn-off either. I'd rather have yellow than red, black or white for example.
It's also not new. The PRS was (and basically still is) a brand new guitar.
Not the ideal pickup configuration, but neither is the PRS.

So both guitars are compromises. The Paul Allender model is not the Cu24 that I was most interested in and the G&L is not a MiA fat strat.

I think that it would help to hear a little about the way a g&l neck feels. having never had the opportunity to play one I have no idea if it's going to appeal to me.
I'm also not sure about the pickups. I'd rather avoid the "texas special" sound. Do not want.

But aside from little issues like those i'm wondering if there's a definitive financial case to be made for one or the other? I don't know if this gentleman would even be willing to consider a trade, but that's sorta the problem. I've seen tons of strats for trade but the owners are rarely looking for active pickup shred-machines. How can i trade for a strat when the people who own strats are frequently not the same people who are interested in guitars like mine?
I keep thinking that a G&L might satisfy my strat needs, and even if it doesn't then at least it would be an easier guitar to include in a trade for a Fender guitar later on.

But maybe I'll miss having a PRS and then i'll just be daydreaming about my next one of those?
Or maybe i should continue to be patient and wait until i have enough for a MiM strat? Are those going to measure up to a G&L like this one?
G&L isn't a compromise if it's not a tribute. It's better than MIA Fat Strats of the era. However, if you don't like the punchy "Texas Specials" sound, the pickups that come with it will not be for you. I'd probably suggest the PRS for you. It seems like you already want it more.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
G&L isn't a compromise if it's not a tribute. It's better than MIA Fat Strats of the era. However, if you don't like the punchy "Texas Specials" sound, the pickups that come with it will not be for you. I'd probably suggest the PRS for you. It seems like you already want it more.

Perfect answer.
If the G&L sounds like Texas Specials then I should keep looking.

That was easier than I thought it would be.
Quote by Roc8995
It sounds like what you really want is to save up for a S2 Custom 24.

Oh i do.

But i want a strat too. Need that fat middle pickup. Later. I can wait.
Quote by Roc8995
It sounds like what you really want is to save up for a S2 Custom 24.

Or an old CE24/22
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate