Hey guys. I am in dire need of help. I've managed to get a hold of my dream guitar (a Fender CIJ Jaguar), but now I'm in need of an amp, since.. well, I don't have one! Being pathologically indecisive, I have a really hard time actually deciding what I want, so I turn to you, oh wise inhabitants of GG&A.

So, when it comes to genre, I have a huge crush on 90's rock, especiallyearly shoegaze, grunge and alt rock. Think Swervedriver, The Smashing Pumpkins (Gish-era specifically), Jeff Buckley, The cranberries and MBV. That being said, I also have a soft spot for Of Monsters and Men and Paramore (sue me). So really, I'm looking for something that isn't really too high gain, since I'm planning on getting a couple of fuzzes, and I alreeady have a RAT.

When it comes to the sound I'm looking for, the clean sound would be something like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam5uK6e-bQ

On thr flip-side, I'm havering for this kind of crunch (yeah, I know: marshall jcm800 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1o81ZBCSRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-540w4baJQ

I live in Norway, so anything by Mesa , or the Randall MTS heads are out of the question (Mesa's are insanely expensive here, with dual recifiers costing more than 2000 dollars new. Sadly, I have never actually seen a MTS head here, used or new)

Price range? Well, let's say up to 7500 Norwegian Kroner (~1200 dollars)which is the price of of a New Vox AC30C2.

I have always bought my gear used, so there is no question that I'm doing to this time to.

I plan on gigging with the amp, since my new band (Huzzah!)

combo or head + cab doesn't really matter, since my flatmate has no problem with me making a lot of noise. That being said, I don't want the amp to be too small. Having had to carry bass cabs for 8 years, I can't for some reason see myself getting something like a blues junior or an AC15. They just feel too small

Sorry for writing that is a jumbled mess, but I hope you guys can help me out with my conundrum.

Also, it's late, I'm tired, and my grammar sucks
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Aug 5, 2014,
Embrace your indecisiveness and get a Randall RM

Edit: Oh...
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Aug 5, 2014,
Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 would work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Gish was an ADA MP-1. They're almost free on eBay and i would guess easier to ship to Norway than a heavy amp.
Shame you can't find an RM, that's what Billy Corgin uses actually (the first artist you mentioned, in fact). He uses two RM4's loaded with Salvation modules.

A Laney VH100R would be worth a look.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for all the suggestion thus far guys. Really enjoy your feedback.

@Bob: Yeah, a MP-1 might be a good idea, but then I would have to get a power amp,and from what I've gathered, they are kind of scare on the used market here in Norway.

@Cath: The VH100R is a great suggestion. Sadly, I haven't been able to find any used for a while,and new they often cost as much as a used jcm2000- or JCM800 stack.

I did find a Laney GH50L and Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 (100 watt head) for sale though. The Laney is about 300 dollars cheaper than the VM, But from what I've gathered, the GH50 seems kind of picky when it comes to cabs.

Speaking of cabs, if I go with a head, my idea for a cab would be to get either an empty Palmer 212 or a Harley Benton 212 cab. I could get a hold of two Eminence Private jack for real cheap, so I just plan on putting it in either cab. The issue is that I would have to import the HB from Thomann (yay for not being part of the EU). Because of that, the cab would cost me 25 % more than normal thanks to import fees. On the other hand, I could get a Palmer here in Norway, for cheap, but they seem to be made from MDF, which I've hear is.. less desirable than plywood.

Just keep your suggestions coming guys!

Edit: Damn, I need to stop writing huge walls of text

TL;DR: Like all your suggestions, but hard to find. Found used GH50L and Marshall 2466. Yes?
Gear:

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Last edited by Fishybones at Aug 5, 2014,
I was going to suggest the DSL as well, but I'll throw in Orange as an option too. The TH30 is nice in my opinion, don't know prices in Norway, but I've seen the odd RV combo go for 800-ish euros.
Thanks K0nijn! I'll keep a look out for the TH30. Love the sound I'm hearing from some demos. A RV combo would also be great. Too bad they cost about 1500 Euros new here....
Gear:

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
The GH50L head is a good amp but don't buy the matching cab, it's a pile of shit. They're a single channel amp but stick a nice overdrive in front of it and you're golden.

The 2466 is a decent enough amp, some people love them, I didn't like the one I tried that much. Really didn't like the noisy non-adjustable boost. Try one though, you might like them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think a Vox or Laney tube amp would serve your needs well. Add an OD pedal in front to dial in your gain for heavier tone. AC30? If you buy one used and cheap, run it for a while and don't fall in love, you can probably sell it for the same dough.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
So, a small update everybody I think I have managed to find just what I want for a real bargain, but the owner can't give me a confirmation until Friday, so here's for hoping for the best!

The amp? It's a Vox AC30CC1. just love the cleans on it, and I think I have an idea for just what kind of pedal i'm going to throw in front of it: A boss HM-2. It might sound dreadful, but I think that's just what I want
Gear:

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
I would not get a AC30 with the type of music you want to play. It would probably be fine for the Cranberries, but that is it.

And your right, the HM-2 is utter shit and IMO useless unless you want t o play death metal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You really need a Mesa Dual or Single Rec. If you can't find a used one or anything like that, you should get a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 or DSL100.

The JCM2000 part is important, the new DSL100H is very underwhelming in comparison.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X