I just went through my old parts drawer and found this tube...
It came from some of my older amps i guess

can anyone identify it?
is it safe plugging it in my amp to see if it works?

edit:
more photos
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/Csight/IMG_2393_zps17695edf.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/Csight/IMG_2394_zpsdb868d98.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/Csight/IMG_2395_zps14cc166d.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd202/Csight/IMG_2397_zps484ef30d.jpg
Last edited by VeilSide at Aug 4, 2014,
Yamaha branded 12AX7. Probably made by one of the various Japanese manufacturers, though most likely Matsushita.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
The insignia on the tube is that of the Yamaha Corporation:

I did not know that they ever re-branded tubes. I say re-branded because I doubt that they actually made it, but I could be wrong.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Tough to tell from that angle but the short plates and the smooth round spacer on posts make me think Sovtek. I don't think it's a Matsushita, those all had the pointy spacers that went higher up on the tube IIRC. Does it have a country of origin printed on it anywhere?

No harm in tossing it in your preamp to see if it works.
Looks cool man. Can't make out what's printed after the 12AX7A (which is different than a 12AX7 mentioned above). 12AX7As are much quieter than a 12AX7. I'd pop it in and try it out

I want to say it's a 7025 which were manufactured for military use (although the last number doesn't really look like a 5), and are supposed to be the quietest of the bunch and should offer some clearer, louder tones. I'm pretty sure they were used in the Blackfaces back in the 60s.

I could be wrong on all that. I've seriously never heard of a Yamaha branded tube. I'm just reading the label on this one

EDIT: Tried googling 7023 and just got a bunch of people misreading their tubes. Could be what I keep doing every time I look at that pic lol
Last edited by mjones1992 at Aug 4, 2014,
Quote by mjones1992
Looks cool man. Can't make out what's printed after the 12AX7A (which is different than a 12AX7 mentioned above). 12AX7As are much quieter than a 12AX7. I'd pop it in and try it out

I want to say it's a 7025 which were manufactured for military use (although the last number doesn't really look like a 5), and are supposed to be the quietest of the bunch and should offer some clearer, louder tones. I'm pretty sure they were used in the Blackfaces back in the 60s.

I could be wrong on all that. I've seriously never heard of a Yamaha branded tube. I'm just reading the label on this one

EDIT: Tried googling 7023 and just got a bunch of people misreading their tubes. Could be what I keep doing every time I look at that pic lol

just to clarify for TS: the 12ax7a's and the 7025's were just low noise 12ax7's. they weren't actually quieter (they have the same gain factor as a 12ax7) so much as they had a more favorable signal to noise ratio.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
And these days the A normally just means that it's a 7th generation Shuguang. ie. garbage.

If you took a photo where we can see the internals better we'd have a better chance of identifying it. All we can tell from that photo is that Yamaha have stuck their logo on a tube.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What an odd one. It doesn't look like Matsushita, Toshiba, Hitachi or Raytheon. Those are the main MIJ tubes I know of. Sorry I can't help more, but that's just weird.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What an odd one. It doesn't look like Matsushita, Toshiba, Hitachi or Raytheon. Those are the main MIJ tubes I know of. Sorry I can't help more, but that's just weird.

It's a Shuguang based on the plate. Didn't know Yamaha were using tubes that late.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I did think it looked quite Chinese. If it's an old Chinese valve then it will be a piece of crap, sorry.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i tried to put that in V1 instead of the RFT thats in there...
i should say the RFT went back pretty fast
Quote by gumbilicious
just to clarify for TS: the 12ax7a's and the 7025's were just low noise 12ax7's. they weren't actually quieter (they have the same gain factor as a 12ax7) so much as they had a more favorable signal to noise ratio.

My bad. Should have worded that better Thanks for clarifying.