Hey guys,
I have been playing guitar for 23 years. I haven't been blessed with being able to have the most expensive gear.
But the best guitar I have owned is the Jackson DXMG (Japanese)
Awesome sound, feels awesome, shit hardware LOL...

Anyway, I have never had the opportunity to buy or play ESP originals or custom shop models and probably never will

But I am really interested in purchasing an ESP Standard series Horizon FR2 in Dark brown sunburst.

I know these are good guitars, not the high end but I guess what I am really wondering is how much of a difference between the standard models and the high end models?

I look at some of the custom shop guitars and can't see the value.
There is a vid on YouTube that shows the ESP factory in Japan and there's many parts that are done by hand anyway!!

If anyone owns one of these Horizon FR2 models, can you please give me an honest opinion and feedback.

All replies most welcomed
Fantastic guitars to play, necks a little different than your DXMG (then again i am comparing a MH400NT and a DK2M)

If you have the chance check out the MH1000FR, slightly cheaper and its a rosewood board rather than ebony, but for me personally i wouldnt buy a horizon 2 unless i had the money to easily afford one. And i LOVE my LTD guitars.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I just traded in my EII horizon III FR. I ordered it online and while it was a GREAT guitar, it just didn't feel right in my hands.
What I liked:
Neck(a little on the thicker side, a little thicker than a strat neck).
Ebony Fretboard, which was as smooth as a baby's bottom! Way smoother than rosewood.
Floyd, the high e string went flat about everyday which was a little annoying and the rest of the strings every 3-4 days.
Binding and maple top, both were VERY well done.
Huge fets, you didn't even touch the fretboard when fretting a note.
Looks

What I didn't like:
Pickups, they didn't sound good through my amp for whatever reason.
Carved top, it was a little uncomfortable to play on, the edge was pretty sharp.
Some of the inlays were not straight, not that I cared, but worth mentioning.
Didn't hold in tune as well as I thought it would.
Didn't feel right in my hands, and if you can't get passed that, you have got the wrong guitar.

Try whatever you can in your budget BEFORE you buy (I didn't expect to go from a ESP to Fender Stratocaster, but it was the one that called to me) and if you do order online make sure the site has a good return policy.
Last edited by JGM258 at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by Carrot
Fantastic guitars to play, necks a little different than your DXMG (then again i am comparing a MH400NT and a DK2M)

If you have the chance check out the MH1000FR, slightly cheaper and its a rosewood board rather than ebony, but for me personally i wouldnt buy a horizon 2 unless i had the money to easily afford one. And i LOVE my LTD guitars.

thanks man, I have had no internet here so late reply.. I couldn't find a MH1000FR anywhere so I looked at a heap of models and decided to go with the Horizon.

It feels way more different than my DXMG but I can not fault this guitar on any aspect of it, it just feels right to me... The clean sounds are amazing and the Duncans sound really chunky with distorted sounds.. I got it at a good price anyway, the only thing i dont like is the 10-46 guage that came on it..
Quote by JGM258
I just traded in my EII horizon III FR. I ordered it online and while it was a GREAT guitar, it just didn't feel right in my hands.
What I liked:
Neck(a little on the thicker side, a little thicker than a strat neck).
Ebony Fretboard, which was as smooth as a baby's bottom! Way smoother than rosewood.
Floyd, the high e string went flat about everyday which was a little annoying and the rest of the strings every 3-4 days.
Binding and maple top, both were VERY well done.
Huge fets, you didn't even touch the fretboard when fretting a note.
Looks

What I didn't like:
Pickups, they didn't sound good through my amp for whatever reason.
Carved top, it was a little uncomfortable to play on, the edge was pretty sharp.
Some of the inlays were not straight, not that I cared, but worth mentioning.
Didn't hold in tune as well as I thought it would.
Didn't feel right in my hands, and if you can't get passed that, you have got the wrong guitar.

Try whatever you can in your budget BEFORE you buy (I didn't expect to go from a ESP to Fender Stratocaster, but it was the one that called to me) and if you do order online make sure the site has a good return policy.

I tried a few LTD models but I didn't really care for them.. And the E-II models but they didnt feel as good to me, and for only $100 difference I went with the Horizon standard series FR 2..
It just feels amazing, although I need to set it up with 9-42..
The clean sounds are flawless and the distorted sounds are a fair bit better from the Duncan's than my Jackson with EMG HZ pickups.

It is lighter than my jackson but feels more solid.

I think its worth every cent
Glad you like it!!

NGD post?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals