Would it be legal to make a music video that is just clips of adverts off the tele? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Probably not, unless either the ads are super old, or you get the appropriate permissions, I'm assuming.
^^^ Matt you are incorrect.

TS if the clip is still covered by copyright you will have to pay to use it (or any part of it). If you find clips that are not covered by copyright, you can use them without paying. Make sure you credit the original owners.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Whether it's "okay" or not is irrelevant. The real question is, do you have the money to defend yourself in court if one of those ads trips YouTube's content-matching filters and the original creator's lawyers come knocking? Do you want to gamble on it not happening?
Quote by mattczabotar
I thought in came under fair use? In australia anyway?

Fair use is a defence to infringement of copyright in Australia sure.

To qualify for the fair use exception you have to prove that you were using the clips for one of the prescribed uses in the Copyright Act. The four main uses are:

- Research or study
- Criticism or review
- Parody or satire
- Reporting news

As noted above, if you are using the clips for "parody" or "satire" it can qualify as fair use. However it does not sound like you are doing this. It sounds like you are just putting a filter on random excerpts of clips in an effort to qualify as "fair use".
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Fair use is a defence to infringement of copyright in Australia sure.

To qualify for the fair use exception you have to prove that you were using the clips for one of the prescribed uses in the Copyright Act. The four main uses are:

- Research or study
- Criticism or review
- Parody or satire
- Reporting news

As noted above, if you are using the clips for "parody" or "satire" it can qualify as fair use. However it does not sound like you are doing this. It sounds like you are just putting a filter on random excerpts of clips in an effort to qualify as "fair use".

we'd be doing it as criticism. Anyone know any websites that would have more information on what qualifies as fair use? im from the uk if that makes any difference. Thankyou everyone for the replies

And would it be any different if we just used one or two quick clips
Last edited by Ugly Mule at Aug 6, 2014,
Quote by Ugly Mule
we'd be doing it as criticism.

Oh you are using the clips in the context of your reviews? I thought you were making a video clip for your song.
Soundcloud
sorry for not being clear, it would be a music video for a track we've written ourselves. the song is critical of certain types of adverts and i would want to use certain clips to show what we're on about. wouldn't be using audio from the adverts, just the images.
gee Alan, your knowledge of the law is very good. You should try and make some money out of that.
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Quote by 91RG350
gee Alan, your knowledge of the law is very good. You should try and make some money out of that.

Lol I'm not an IP lawyer, and I personally sucked at that class in Uni.

I suggest that if TS want to use ads in his music clip, use older ads that aren't covered by copyright to avoid any issue. I don't think you can simply play your aong over someone elses art and call it criticism, irrespective of what the link is.

Of course the best thing you and your band could do is make your own series of ads for the clip.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Lol I'm not an IP lawyer, and I personally sucked at that class in Uni.

I suggest that if TS want to use ads in his music clip, use older ads that aren't covered by copyright to avoid any issue. I don't think you can simply play your aong over someone elses art and call it criticism, irrespective of what the link is.

Of course the best thing you and your band could do is make your own series of ads for the clip.

Thanks again for the replies, cleared it up for me.