Hi all,

I just picked up a cheap AMT R1, and wondering if anyone has used an A/B switcher to get the amp preamp involved for decent cleans?

Can I put a switcher at the end of my chain so that 1 channel goes to the AMT R1 & into the fx return, the other channel goes into the front of the amp?
I would think the best way to do it is to put the a/b switch before the R1. Then one side of the switch goes to the front of the amp and the other goes to the R1. Then you need some kind of Y-cable to connect the output of the R1 and FX send to the FX return. I'm afraid that might add extra hum somehow. What amp are you using this with?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Would I need the fx send & return connected for the amp preamp to work correctly then?

Using a Laney GH100 head. Got the pedal for demoing at home, but thought it might be cool if I could get it working in a live environment with the option for a cleaner channel as well.
That's what the y cable is for. On the two sided end, its connected to the R1 AND the FX send. Then the other end is connected to the FX return. Now both preamp signals will reach the power amp.
Thanks for the extra info. I'll see how the pedal sounds, and also what the clean sound is when the pedal isn't on. If the former is amazing & the latter not so, I'll look at picking up an a/b switch and a y cable to try that out.

Otherwise the drive on the GH100 is perfectly acceptable live (if a little messy) for my needs at the minute, and I'll just enjoy (hopefully) getting better guitar tone for my demos.
Yes that's exactly what I was thinking.
Some amps will work when only the FX return is used and the preamp will also still work. try it and see if you can get away with out the Y adapter.

Plug the R1 in to the FX return and then plug your guitar into the amp input and see if you get sound with it setup like this.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'll try that, thanks. A friend of mine mentioned he did something similar recently and didn't need to connect the effects send. Anything that uses less cables will be cool.