Which of the various guitar cleaning products available do you recommend? This includes string cleaner, cloths, polishes etc
Someone bought me the Dunlop set. It works pretty well. The Fast-Fret shit by GHS I've heard is pretty good too.

Before that I used water and I still do sometimes. Guitar cleaning kits are a lot like snake oil. Specially engineered oils from the ISS aren't going to make your guitar play better or make you a better player. They make you believe you need it when once upon a time none of that existed and everyone got on just fine

As far as cloth goes, rip up an old cotton T-shirt. It's the best material for guitar cleaning IMO.
+1 for GHS fast fret. I can't live without that
Guitars:
ESP LTD EX 50 with Dimarzios
Modified MIM Fender strat with schaller floyd rose
LTD EC-1000 with EMG's
2x LTD EC 401

Amps:
Marshall JVM205h
Fender Mustang II

Other bits and pieces:
D'addario strings
TC electronic g-major 2
Quote by mjones1992
Someone bought me the Dunlop set. It works pretty well. The Fast-Fret shit by GHS I've heard is pretty good too.

Before that I used water and I still do sometimes. Guitar cleaning kits are a lot like snake oil. Specially engineered oils from the ISS aren't going to make your guitar play better or make you a better player. They make you believe you need it when once upon a time none of that existed and everyone got on just fine

As far as cloth goes, rip up an old cotton T-shirt. It's the best material for guitar cleaning IMO.

This is pretty much spot on.

Plain old mineral oil for your fretboard. Wipe it on, wait a few minutes, wipe it off. Don't let it soak in, and don't bother with the expensive stuff in the tiny bottles.

Naptha (the main ingredient in some lighter fluids) is great for cleaning difficult-to-clean things.

Carnauba wax to protect the finish and the hardware. I think the Dunlop series has something called Carnauba Creme, but I use the five-buck (well, it used to be) one-pound tin from Johnson's Wax.

The above is what Gibson (and Epiphone, when it was an independent US company) used to recommend for their guitars. I have a 1939 Epiphone Emperor that came with an old hangtag that listed those items for maintenance. That's what Gibson used to recommend, until they began to sell stuff in tiny bottles themselves.

All that said, I'll also use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the burgundy bottle for modern finishes that don't check. Easy on, easy off, removes sweat and leaves a pretty, shiny, protected finish. Be very careful about other brands; silicone ingredients should be avoided.

Mineral oil can be hand for $11 a gallon. Put it in your own dropper bottle (REI, the outdoor store, is GREAT for finding tiny bottles) and that gallon will last you forever. You're welcome to buy Fret Doctor at $11-12 per ounce, and it won't help or hinder your guitar any more than mineral oil, I guarantee you. At 128 ounces per gallon, however, YOU figure out how much you're paying him per gallon. His kids' college funds thank you.

Do NOT use linseed oil (or boiled linseed oil) on anything. It's not really an oil -- it's a finish, and if you use linseed oil on your fretboard, you can end up with a sticky mess that might NEVER dry. I know there are some folks that DO use it, and so does Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars (who does not recommend it, either). His comment regarding using it: "Use it once, then don't use it again for two years. Then use it once and don't use it again for ten years."

Do not use *real* lemon oil on your fretboard. That's for cooking.

The "lemon oil" furniture polish is mineral oil with a few solvents added for cleaning wood. That's fine (and there's no lemon in it at all, usually) for your fretboard.

Do not use rosewood oil on your fretboard. It's not the same "rosewood" and it's meant for aromatherapy.
Quote by dspellman

The "lemon oil" furniture polish is mineral oil with a few solvents added for cleaning wood. That's fine (and there's no lemon in it at all, usually) for your fretboard.

I agree with this (although I know there are others that don't) but you do need to make sure there are no silicone additives, since they are included in many furniture polishes.

Use something like Weiman, which specifically notes that no silicones or waxes are included.

http://weiman.com/Products/Wood-Furniture,-Cabinets-Panels/Lemon-Oil-Furniture-Polish.aspx
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
My go-to is the Gibson Luthier stuff.

This stuff: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/gibson-luthiers-choice-guitar-care-triple-pak

Love it. I have the Dunlop stuff too, but I don't like it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X