I seem to break strings quite a bit. I just changed the strings a month ago and broke the 3rd string. It happened when I tuned up, back to standard tuning from dropped tunings. Is this expected if I do this frequently (once a week)? Did I just not put them on correctly?

Thanks!
I don't think changing tuning frequently would shorten the string's life span that much. What usually affects string breaking is usually the string gauge, break angle and playing style I think. So what string gauge are you using? And break angle refers to the angle at which the string crosses the bridge saddles that is if you're using a hard tail guitar. I think the nut might also affect it if it's not ?deep enough?.

I'm not too sure though to be honest since I've never actually broken a string while playing.
I had a burr on one of my saddles on a bass I used to have. I went through 3 "D" strings before I figured it out. Just a quick file and it was good again.
It may have also been a bad string, in your case. Sometimes they do get past quality control. If it keeps happening, I would look into it.
The string may also be getting stuck in the nut. Maybe lubricate it with some graphite (rub a pencil in there before restringing).
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Good tips. I'll use some lube as you suggested and see what happens. I don't think one has broken while playing. This string broke up near the nut but not directly on the nut if that makes sense. About 3/4" down if I remember correctly. These are the strings I put on recently:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Elixir-Medium-Polyweb-Acoustic-Guitar-Strings-100637685-i1122711.gc

This is my guitar:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/-i1524639.gc
Quote by ryanbwags
I had a burr on one of my saddles on a bass I used to have. I went through 3 "D" strings before I figured it out. Just a quick file and it was good again.
It may have also been a bad string, in your case. Sometimes they do get past quality control. If it keeps happening, I would look into it.
The string may also be getting stuck in the nut. Maybe lubricate it with some graphite (rub a pencil in there before restringing).

This happened to me with an electric guitar. I used the same solution you used, no problems since.
Pointy saddles (LP type ) break strings and IMO suck, they offer slightly better intonation than a smooth saddle, but hardly worth it. The FR is so smooth that it's almost impossible to break a string, more hardtails should adapt their style saddles, a few have
Mostly, broken strings are a mechanical problem. Like the guys say, a burr or sharp edge on a saddle or nut, a sharp edge on a tuner.... Something like that.
I never break strings. Really... I haven't broken a string for years and years. Of course I play mostly acoustic with rather heavy-gauge strings and I also have a rather "light" attack when using the flatpick.
Where are the strings breaking? Up near the tuners? Somewhere in the middle of the fret board?

I went through a few broken strings on one guitar, with all of them breaking up near the tuners. I realized that my way of winding the strings on the tuners was putting a kink in the strings. I don't remember how I was doing it, but I stopped doing it that way and the strings stopped breaking.

Now the only strings I break are ones that I do bends on often, and in the same place.