Hey UG,

I've been thinking about this for quite a while today, but I have no idea why it feels much more difficult than outside picking

I can do short bursts of fast outside picking over two strings (like Paul Gilbert's picking lick), but when I flip over the pick strokes it just feels so much more difficult.

I tried working on it with a metronome the traditional way with ONLY inside picking, and worked on it for a period of time. My speed barely increased, and even at a slow tempo it just felt so clumsy compared to outside picking.

I'm satisfied by the progress from the picking licks that I've been working on like the yngwie-style single string lick and certain outside picking licks. However, 3 NPS strict alternate picking runs (which contain some inside picking) have always eluded me and I haven't really found a solution for it.

Any advice would be great, thanks!
Yes inside picking feels way harder, Im not sure if Im allowed to link other websites but try playing this
http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/65/1

This is Moto Perpetuo, a classical piece played by Paul Gilbert on the Racer X track "YRO". It has TONS of inside picking and is an absolute pain to play, it will probably help you develop inside picking. Try using a metronome but personally it is way harder at low speed rather than moderate/fast.
Quote by Timothongz
Hey UG,

I've been thinking about this for quite a while today, but I have no idea why it feels much more difficult than outside picking

I can do short bursts of fast outside picking over two strings (like Paul Gilbert's picking lick), but when I flip over the pick strokes it just feels so much more difficult.

I tried working on it with a metronome the traditional way with ONLY inside picking, and worked on it for a period of time. My speed barely increased, and even at a slow tempo it just felt so clumsy compared to outside picking.

I'm satisfied by the progress from the picking licks that I've been working on like the yngwie-style single string lick and certain outside picking licks. However, 3 NPS strict alternate picking runs (which contain some inside picking) have always eluded me and I haven't really found a solution for it.

Any advice would be great, thanks!

I am totally with you on this dude... I struggle in exactly the same way. However, I have made a ton of progress since I really started focusing on inside picking specifically. Here's a few tips I have:

- Check out John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" video, specifically the inside picking segment. He gives a few exercises that reaaally focus in on it and ended up helping me in the long run. Pay attention to his right hand, too (see next point).
- Realize that crossing strings with inside picking is a different motion than with outside picking. No, I mean, REALLY realize it. Take your metronome back to the land of molasses in the wintertime (60bpm eighth notes is a good place to start, and that may even be a tad fast depending on your specific circumstance) and practice inside picking like that. Really focus on how your right hand moves, and make any adjustments as necessary to fix any lack of economy, any presence of excess tension, etc that you may observe. Go up SLOWLY, and resist the temptation to go fast with it during this practice sessions. You want to eliminate your bad inside picking technique and inculcate the good, and rushing with your speed will not do this.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

EDIT: p.s. don't get discouraged with slow progress either. If you're getting it at slow speed with good technique, you will eventually get it faster.
Last edited by duck1992 at Aug 5, 2014,
I struggle inside picking a lot too.
It's a really good advice on realizing WHY inside is harder than outside picking (for you specifically).
Do you feel like I do!?
It's just whichever you've practised more. I used to find inside picking easier. After practising outside more, outside was easier. Now because of new practice, inside's easier again. Greg Howe is an example of a professional guitar player that finds inside much easier.
Quote by JohnProphet
remember that it isnt that way for everyone. To me, outside picking is WAY harder

Exactly... I see tons of people say they struggle with inside picking, but it's a breeze for me. Outside picking on the other hand I simply struggle with.