Page 1 of 2
Hi, im new to the forum so im gunna introduce myself.

Im harry im 14 and i`ve been playing for 14 months. I`m into rock and alternative, and my favourite bands are (in order of preference) : arctic monkeys, kings of leon and the white stripes. I sometimes also dabble in heavy metal, such as BVB or metallica.

I play on a squire strat bullet with a no name 10w amp, as of yet i have no effects pedals. I am soon forming a band in which i will play lead or rythm guitar and sing.

Now thats out the why (youll see why i said all that in a minute), id like to ask 2 questions:

1) i was looking for budget pedals and heard great things about digitechs x series. Which of that series distortion pedals best fits my musical tastes and requirements. A bit of versatility would also be appreciated.

2) what other effects would i need in a band, and which budget (35 GBP or below) pedal company should i buy said effects off? Im thinking joyo.

Thanks for any replies
Sorry to burst you bubble but that 10 watt amp is going to be useless in a band setting. With a drummer, bass player, singing, and maybe another guitar player, your guitar's sound will not be coming through the mix at all. You are going to have to give us a budget and we can help you from there. As of now, pedals are a waste of your money.
Oh right okay, better telling me sooner than later. Well theres a 50w stagg amp in a local second hand shop, would this do better?
^^ yeah you really need a new amp first

for dirt the digitech bad monkey (tubescreamerish), screamin blues (glorified boss blues driver) and hot head (glorified boss ds1) are hard to beat on a budget. most of the joyo dirt pedals sound pretty good (they're mostly clones or lightly-modded clones of sought-after circuits) but the reliability is suspect- mine have been fine but a lot of other regulars have been complaining.

But yeah you really need an amp first- ideally tube. How much money did you have for pedals altogether? you can get decentish tube amps for around £200 these days.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A bit of a noob question, but whats the difference in purpose between an amp head and an amp cabinet? Was just browsing and came across that
You may be better off going for a budget multi-effects pedal with cab and amp modelling and using it to rehearse and gig through the PA. I got myself a Digitech RP255 a year or two back for £119 which is perfect for it. It's all well and good paying a few hundred quid for a cheap tube amp but it's a great deal better spending a fraction of that and giving yourself the potential for hundreds of different effects, amp and cab combinations that will come close to replicating a wide variety of other guitarist's and band's sounds.

The day of buying amps and cabs are dead and gone these days. If you're on a budget then spend a hundred quid or so on a cheap multi-effects and modelling unit, if you've got the sort of budget that will allow you to buy a 400 quid amp and cab setup then get yourself a Line6 HD500X instead.

There's really no need to buy a 100W+ Big Name tube amp and whopperdongler Big Name 4 x 15" cab unless you want to limit your sound and piss off the neighbours lol

In fact if you want to save money for all band members then club together and buy your own PA system, save up individually and buy your own individual multi-effects and modelling units (although I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that a Line6 HD500X can also act as a PA of sorts, although I will stand to be corrected on that!).

As satisfying as it is to blast your neighbours' eardrums the days of buying amps and cabs is gone these days.

Edit: An amp head is just an amplifier. If you connect your guitar to it you won't hear anything unless you connect a speaker CABinet to it. You can also get amp combos that combine the two in one unit, or modelling pedals that simulate various different amp and cab combinations that need either a Line Out socket that connects to a PA system or a headphone socket that connects to headphones before you can hear your guitar.

I've mentioned PAs because you generally need a PA system that connects to the singer's microphone and also uses microphones connected to the drums, guitarist's combo amps or cab speakers when you do a decent sized gig. The PA system then connects to Monitors so that you can hear what you're playing and PA speakers so that everyone else can hear what you're playing.

If you all club together and get yourself a decent PA system you can basically play and rehearse anywhere you want to.
Last edited by arv1971 at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by Harry W
What other effects would be good to have

It depends on how you want your music to sound. I can't tell you exactly what effects you're going to like, so go online to look up types of pedals. Whatever you think might be cool or useful, go to a shop and start browsing.

However, common ones that are universally "useful" are noise suppressors, compressors, tuners, and EQ.
Quote by Harry W
A bit of a noob question, but whats the difference in purpose between an amp head and an amp cabinet? Was just browsing and came across that

The two are pieces of a "stack," meaning an ensemble of parts meant to amplify your guitar. The contrary would be a combo, where you basically get both in one device.

An amplifier head is really where all the knobs are switches are on your amp, it lets you fine tune your sound that really dictates your tone. The cab (short for cabinet) is simply an enclosure that allows the head to make those sounds audible. In short, the head is really the crux of a stack amplifier, and the cab houses the speakers so that you can hear it.
Individual amps and cabs also define an individual guitarist's sound. If you have even a half decent modelling processor you can basically sound like any guitarist you want to (although obviously your guitar and technique will obviously play a huge part too).

Like I've said, if you're playing covers a modelling processor is essential.
About the multi fx, the vox stomplab sg1 or sg2 look pretty good. However the level of gain isnt as high as id like in OD mode on it. Could i connect a digitech bad monkey after the MFX to give it more crunch?

Thanks for all the help so far btw
I have a modeling amplifier, and it goes pretty loud. Vox vt120+....actually, I am not sure why I bought it.

If you get a modeling amp make sure it has a foot switch otherwise you will have to control effects and such at the amplifier itself. You can still use effect pedals of course.

That Vox stomplab looks like the same idea as is built-in to their modeling amplifiers. The effects on the amplifier are fairly limited, so if this thing is similar to the amplifier modeling stuff, I would probably go for something else if you are looking for a true effects unit.
Last edited by bigblockelectra at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by Harry W
What other effects would be good to have

it really depends to a large extent on the amp you get. for example, if the amp's distortion sounds the way you want you might not need any distortion pedals (or you might prefer to just boost it with an overdrive pedal), etc. etc. Some amps come with reverb, etc. etc.

Quote by Harry W

an amp head is the amplifier minus the speakers, while a cabinet is the speakers minus the amp. you need a head and cabinet together if you want to go the head route.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Harry W
Oh right okay, better telling me sooner than later. Well theres a 50w stagg amp in a local second hand shop, would this do better?

The saying you can only polish a turd applies here. It'll be louder sure, but it won't sound good.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by arv1971

The day of buying amps and cabs are dead and gone these days. If you're on a budget then spend a hundred quid or so on a cheap multi-effects and modelling unit, if you've got the sort of budget that will allow you to buy a 400 quid amp and cab setup then get yourself a Line6 HD500X instead.

There's really no need to buy a 100W+ Big Name tube amp and whopperdongler Big Name 4 x 15" cab unless you want to limit your sound and piss off the neighbours lol

the days of buying amps and cabs is gone these days.

Really?! C'mon man.

Ts, imo, buying pedals before an amp would be like buying video games before you buy the game console. If you're going to play with a band, a decent tube amp is the most efficient (and best, imo) way to go about it. Scrape some money together, try out as many amps as you can to narrow down the herd and then start a "what amp?" thread in gg&a. They'll straighten you out.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by arv1971
You may be better off going for a budget multi-effects pedal with cab and amp modelling and using it to rehearse and gig through the PA.

I agree with this, maybe look at a line6 pod or something.

However I definitely disagree that buying amps is dead. That's utter nonsense.

You don't seem to really know what you want, so I'd just try to get the basics covered. As such, I'd definitely be considering a better amp [if you don't want a modeller like the pod for any reason]. Maybe a peavey vyper or something might be worth looking at.

I wouldn't worry about effects pedals that much at this stage, better to have a decent base tone rather than a whole heap of cheap and crap sounding pedals.
RIP Gooze

cats
I will agree. Most of your tone comes from the amp so that needs to be a priority.

We are really going to know a buget so we can advise further. I feel you've not got much saved at the moment though if you pedal budget is £35 or below.

So get saving and use the equipment you have to leanr more and start writing some ideas that might work with a band going forward. If you do start a band before you can upgrade your amp then some practice spaces will have amps that you can use in the meantime.
While the joker claiming amps/cabs are dead is spouting nonsense, in this case (new player, still unsure of what he needs) SOME of his advice was spot-on.

TS would be well served with a reasonable quality MFX unit and a decent powered wedge and/or small PA system. That's about the cheapest combination of things he's going to be able to find that will allow him to play with decent tone and volume and experiment until he decides what else he really needs.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'd be so disappointed with an MFX through powered speakers, especially at 14. I want an amp, I want to rock out.

Can you still pick up the Laney VC15 2x10 pretty cheap? I had a VC30 many years ago and loved the tone.
Quote by matthewa
I'd be so disappointed with an MFX through powered speakers, especially at 14. I want an amp, I want to rock out.

And how would MFX/Powered speakers be ANY different than the Modeling amps currently on the market, excepting more convenient and given wise choices, better sounding?

I'm not sure I catch your meaning?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
While the joker claiming amps/cabs are dead is spouting nonsense

Spot on!

In this case I think some kinda of amp with more options would be a great idea, Laney VC15 has been suggested and it would probably be my 1st choice as well.
Great tube sounds and most likely a keeper as you probably won't need to graduate into better tone as this one has it.

Depends on the budget but considering what he likes as bands go, I'd suggest he look at the Vox VT series, VT40 for example.Used the AD30VT could be had for around $150. You might need more wattage if in a band though. Tube 15 watter might do it but solid state probably won't cut above drums.

- Roland Cube

- Tech21 Trademark 30 or the 60 - analog modeling, best sounding of the bunch but no added effects, most likely one that you'll hang on to much longer than the rest.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 6, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
While the joker claiming amps/cabs are dead is spouting nonsense, in this case (new player, still unsure of what he needs) SOME of his advice was spot-on.

TS would be well served with a reasonable quality MFX unit and a decent powered wedge and/or small PA system. That's about the cheapest combination of things he's going to be able to find that will allow him to play with decent tone and volume and experiment until he decides what else he really needs.

That's a good point.

I think Harry W needs to clarify whether he was looking at one £35 pedal (in which case a new amp is pretty much out of the running), or several £35 pedals. I assumed he meant the latter, but I could be wrong.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about the fender mustang 3, I've seen that this has some effects and modelling built in , and all the reviews say it's good. Along with this, a friend of mine has one and has gigged with it before, and said it did fine in a medium gig space.
Oh to clarify I was thinking 3-5 35 pound pedals.

Sorry for not being very clear.
Last edited by Harry W at Aug 6, 2014,
Mustang 3 is a reasonable starter amp, but is not at it's best with the heavier styles of music.

What's the cost?
Charles Darwin
Around £200 New, meaning I'd have to save up a bit. I could look on ebay or gumtree for a better deal tho.

I suppose I could mic the amp for a bit more volume.
Last edited by Harry W at Aug 6, 2014,
Quote by Harry W
Around £200 New, meaning I'd have to save up a bit. I could look on ebay or gumtree for a better deal tho.

I suppose I could mic the amp for a bit more volume.

If you have the option, mic'ing the amp should be your standard practice in any case. The amp is for you, the PA is for the audience.
Charles Darwin
The fender looks like a solid choice for an affordable modelling amp, is there anything bad I need to know about it?
£200 will get you a tube amp. I'd have said tube is better for the stuff you're playing, especially if you're gigging. And it's not terribly high gain stuff so it's not like you need a soldano or anything super-expensive like that (though these days with jet city and the like even high gain is possible on a budget with tube amps).

Only thing is tube swaps etc. If you're that low on money then retubes might not be viable. Unless you're very unlucky you shouldn't have to do a retube more than once every year or two, but murphy's law being what it is, if you can't afford it, that'll be when a tube goes down inexplicably when you've had the thing for about 2 weeks...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Harry W
The fender looks like a solid choice for an affordable modelling amp, is there anything bad I need to know about it?

Yes.

You WILL get tired of it after a while, and start noticing it's not 'quite' as good as you wished it was. You will then spend more money getting what you DO want, which you will ALSO get tired of...lather, rinse, repeat!

Just like the rest of us!

More seriously, it should work fine for what you're trying to do, and it will give you some options for experimentation so you can get a better idea of what you really want to sound like.

Good luck.
Charles Darwin
^ LOL yeah

But yeah if you're low on money a modeller might be a better idea. I haven't tried the mustang.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What is it that makes tube amps better than SS or VS, obviously they are better, but what in particular is it?
Quote by Harry W
What is it that makes tube amps better than SS or VS, obviously they are better, but what in particular is it?

Think of it this way:
tube=gorgeous knockers
solid state = gorgeous knockers that have sagged a bit under heavy use
modeling amps = fake knockers that are trying to look as the real thing but when you feel them up you're left holding two plastic balloons.
BTW - the Mustang is ok, I just hate the Fender modeling of other things, I think it is the worst of the bunch, especially them trying to achieve the British sounds .

Vox to me seems to have the most realistic approach to modeling in a combo amp (maybe because of their Korg overlords?), unless you're ok with having solely modeled preamp/overdrive sounds and no other fx, in that case the Tech21 is best. You could also look at Johnson modeling amplifiers used, those used to be one of the better modelers although sadly discontinued and maybe a bit dated. You can really get a high wattage amp from them cheap nowadays.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 6, 2014,
Btw, love your analogy diabolical. VOX always appeal to me due to their British tone. I've also seen the Orange micro terror which seems quite good.
Tbh, anything is better than what I currently have, it's just awful. It's a 5 year old zennox g15, possibly the worst amp I've ever seen.
Quote by Arby911
And how would MFX/Powered speakers be ANY different than the Modeling amps currently on the market, excepting more convenient and given wise choices, better sounding?

I'm not sure I catch your meaning?

When I was 14 it was all about rocking out in front of my amp, and rubbing the guitar on it at particular moments of angst. Nothing to do with sound, just about having a physical object to interact with.

I wish there was such a great choice of low wattage tube amps around when I was young. My first amp was a Park Valvestate thing. Fine for home use and I borrowed amps for live, but totally rubbish. Then I bought a VC30 when I was 21. Changed my life completely.

My advice would be- don't think you need 6 amp sounds on a modeller- one great tube tone with no effects is way better than anything flashy. Check out youtube to see the type of drive you'd like. By your influences I think that you'll easily find a tone you like for a budget price.
Page 1 of 2