So i have seen a 60th anniversary strat for £400 near me.

Having never owned a strat and wanting one, i was after a MIM due to price, but this MIA popped up near me.I checked the serial number and its a Z6xxxxxx, made in 2006, as seller said. im a bit confused as to what this is, as this clearly isnt a 2014 model ( with only 1954 made).

- so is this just a standard series strat that happened to be made in 2006 ?

- the guitar is in good condition. is £400 a good price for a MIA strat regardless of what model it is ?

- having never purchased a "decent" guitar second hand, how easy is it to spot a fake ? it looks legit and has a legit serial . obviously i wouldnt buy it without playing it a bit however.
We need pics etc. to be sure.

£400 (considering the new price of a USA standard strat is ~£1000 and used prices seem to be around £600-£700, from what little I've seen of them) is getting on for "too good to be true" territory. That's not to say it's definitely a scam, but I'd be very, very wary.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i was thinking that, as MIM strats seem to go for 250-350 depending on model and condition.

a little more digging and it seems that it defintely is not a 60th anniversary commemorative model, but a standard american strat made in the 60th anniversary year.

unfortunately the gumtree advert has gone (either he's taken it down or its run its course), so i cant get the pictures.
ah no worries

and yeah to be fair fender seems to contrive celebrate an anniversary every other year, with only the most tenuous completely justifiable links to reality...

but yeah seriously, i'd be wary. there are a lot of scams on gumtree I think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah that'd be my thought. Not saying it's definitely a scam, but I'd err on the side of caution there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
has you (or anyone) ever picked up a buddy guy model strat ?

there is one in mint condition near me for £400, but I cant see what makes it worth more than a MIM strat ?

unless i get really lucky, i think a MIA strat is going to be out of my price range. if i find a cheap MIM i guess i could always spend a bit on upgrades, but even then , would i not be better off saving up for a USA strat?

i know the mims offer great value for money, but i dont want to be having to upgrade again in a few years time
I don't think I've tried a buddy guy... now I think of it I'm not sure I've tried any of the fender signature models.

Only really you can answer the MIM versus MIA question. The MIA does generally have a higher spec (some of which can be upgraded in the MIM, like pickups etc. and some which can't, like the wood (unless you're ok with a trigger's broom type situation developing )), but whether it's worth it to you is the thing.

MIJ is maybe a middle ground between MIA and MIM and might be worth considering. Though you really want to be looking at the non-export models. They're also a fair bit rarer than either MIM or MIA.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?