Some fusion players to listen to.I've always been a blues/rock/indie player.Recently my ear has started to really appreciate the sound of jazzy/rock/fusiony type stuff.Obviously i know about Guthrie.Who should i be listening to too inspire me?Thanks in advance.
Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Jeff Beck, Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola should keep you plenty busy for a while. These are the guys I was listening to in my Fusion phase. There are dozens of others but these guys stand out IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Jazz_fusion_guitarists
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thank you.I already enjoy Larry and Robben.I've seen a very minimal amount of Holdsworth.I'm gonna get listening to your suggestions more in depth.Cheers
Not directly related to the question, but after seeing some of the stuff Guthrie Govan has done, I'm starting to think he is better at technique than Vai. Vai is of course great at cleanliness and technique, but I think Govan has more variety in his techniques and is just as clean.

Wow Guthrie is something else on the guitar, I think more than Vai...
Last edited by coderguy at Aug 5, 2014,
Quote by coderguy
Not directly related to the question, but after seeing some of the stuff Guthrie Govan has done, I'm starting to think he is better at technique than Vai. Vai is of course great at cleanliness and technique, but I think Govan has more variety in his techniques and is just as clean.

There are plenty of players who are technically better than Vai, physically when we're talking about shred, fusion and especially the modern players he's not really anything that special when it comes to technique. Musically he's unlike anyone else but physically he's just really good, rather than absolutely stellar like a lot of people.

That said... Guthrie is one of the best to ever pick up the instrument. So there's that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Al Di Meola, Planet X, Shawn Lane, Tribal Tech, Cosmosquad, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Jeff Lorber, Adam Nitti, David Hines, Jens Johansson, Ray Riendeau, Brett Garsed, Alex Machacek, Marc Guillermont, Chris Taylor, Gary Husband, One Spirit, Scott Henderson, Allen Hinds, Steve Khan, Chad Wackerman, Mike Stern, Hiram Bullock, Wayne Krantz, Larry Carlton, John Scofield, Guthrie Govan, Dennis Chambers, Alex Hutchings, Sergey Golovin, Tom Quayle, Jakub Zytecki, Alain Caron, The Aristocrats, Bill Connors, Return To Forever, Yellowjackets, Cristiano Parato, Greg Howe, Jeff Lorber, Jeff Richman.

Jazz and fusion is my jam.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by coderguy

I would easily agree with that comment, there is no way Vai could pull off what Guthrie improvises. That being said, Vai has spent much more time working on other areas, such as composing, producing, arranging, business etc. His body of work is much more vast.
Quote by Sickz
Al Di Meola, Planet X, Shawn Lane, Tribal Tech, Cosmosquad, Allan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, Jeff Lorber, Adam Nitti, David Hines, Jens Johansson, Ray Riendeau, Brett Garsed, Alex Machacek, Marc Guillermont, Chris Taylor, Gary Husband, One Spirit, Scott Henderson, Allen Hinds, Steve Khan, Chad Wackerman, Mike Stern, Hiram Bullock, Wayne Krantz, Larry Carlton, John Scofield, Guthrie Govan, Dennis Chambers, Alex Hutchings, Sergey Golovin, Tom Quayle, Jakub Zytecki, Alain Caron, The Aristocrats, Bill Connors, Return To Forever, Yellowjackets, Cristiano Parato, Greg Howe, Jeff Lorber, Jeff Richman.

Jazz and fusion is my jam.

Awesome!I will bookmark this page as a reference.Good stuff!