Howdy UG users! The last time I logged into this profile was back in 2009 so that shouldn't be too surprising as to why I am a little unfamiliar with the forums, but I am here posting to see if I can get any advice with my current amp dilemma. I play in a couple different grind/metal bands and have been playing gigs for the past 2 years with a Line 6 Spider 2 head and 4ohm Raven Cab. Great equipment right?? Needless to say I've been wanting to upgrade to better gear.

I've played through my friend's Ampeg vh140 and absolutely love the tone but have had no luck with trying to find one. 2 weeks ago I found a Marshall valvestate 8100 used from California and I had it shipped to me here in Dallas, Texas. Well, it played great in my apartment when I tested it out but I played a gig last weekend and it totally crapped out on me which sucks because all the reviews I read on the thing were killer.

Keep in mind I play alot of gigs where I am not mic'd. Initially the amp worked but when comparing volumes with our other guitar player was outmatched when his Marshall Mg100 was at 5 on the master volume and mine was at 10. The 8100 has a 4ohm output and a 100 watt output so it couldn't have been me blowing anything out when I matched the 4ohm output with my 4ohm cab.

Thankfully, I bought it thru guitar center and they were able to switch out the head with the same head from a GC in Illinois, I guess my question is has anybody else had this problem? Does it sound normal for that amp to be so quiet? If I am going to be so quiet should I just save up and purchase a tube amp, like a 5150?

I need a set up where I'll still be super loud even when I am not mic'd and I'm going for the early 90's death metal style, Death, Suffo, Morbid angel, Entombed (I know I won't get that tone unless I own the HM-2) but yeah... Any thoughts?
Last edited by ssjdopey at Aug 5, 2014,
First of all, next time use paragraphs please, that was painful to read.

Then, you may wanna get an amp sounding something like the sounds you're going for, first thing coming to my mind is a current production solid state randall, there are some pretty damn big ones too.

Also get a PA system, non mic'd guitar amps are everything but ideal at gigs.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
lol, thanks for the heads up , I didn't realize how much of a headache that was
First thing to try is cleaning all the jacks, both input and output. Buy a can of electrical contact cleaner (not WD40). Spray some liberally onto a plug and work it in and out of the jacks a few times, you are using the plug as an applicator.
If the problem only exists on the lead channel, replace the tube. I assume that you've already tried other cables, no?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Could be the preamp tube. It is a 12ax7, so buy a new one and try that. I have a EH 12ax7 in mine. Usually this amp is lower in volume compared to my JCM900 which is tube, I used to boost it with a TRI-OD in front when I gigged with it. What about your impedance matching?
Is it loud by itself?
I remember running mine during rehearsals quite loud but played with a few psychopaths through the years that were running full tube stacks at 11 (JCM2000 and MEsa 100 watters) and it can't compete with that in volume; however it can be a good amp with decent volume, enough to cut above a drummer.
The tube is only engaged on channel 2
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The tube is only engaged on channel 2

Is it? I remember having the 1st channel cut out on me and I believe got fixed when I replaced the preamp tube. These amps are notorious for the bad jacks though, replaced several of these through the years so it could be that.
Yeah, the jacks and pots are shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100