First off, I'm not too solid on what a preamp does in front of an amp.

I read on some other forum that using a Reel to Reel sounds good in front of an amp.

There is a $40 tube mono Reel to Reel in my area and I was wondering if I should give it a shot.

PS: The R2R already has 1/4 jacks in and out
Last edited by ToneMasterDelux at Aug 5, 2014,
Well, you're actually in very good company as it was Richie Blackmore's favorite trick.
I did that for a while with a 60s Grundig which sounded fantastic. Too heavy to transport though. Mine had to be put on mic input and in record standby. Had to modify 5 din cable to 1/4inch mono.
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
First off, I'm not too solid on what a preamp does in front of an amp.
It brings the signal impedance down and the amplitude up, so you can amplify it to an appreciable amount with a power amp.

Depending on the tape recorder you may be able to use it as a pre.

Guitar amps though already have pre's so unless you particularly like the sound of your guitar passing through the recorder and you don't have to play through a proper power amp, you don't need any pre before a guitar amp.

Also putting a pre after another pre will likely make you loose high end and overload the second pre.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Mine pretty much was equivalent to overdrive, it had gain and tone controls. Had no clue Richie does it until I saw him tweak it in concert on a Rainbow dvd. Apparently Yngwie did it in his early days too.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 6, 2014,
I've done things like that (long ago) as a substitute for an overdrive pedal. These days it's a bit clunky to haul around.

At one point I was using an old Bogen PA amplifier (low power, probably from a school) as a distortion pedal. I found out Terry Kath (Chicago) did the same on the original CTA album.

These days that $40 can be put to better use, however.
Naw, there are better options these days. Those guys were just using a RR as a big unwieldy OD pedal before OD pedals were well developed. I suppose you could take out the necessary preamp guts and build your own hifi OD pedal but it seems like more of a science project than a practical solution to guitar tone.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
For the price I think I might do it, I don't need a Pre Amp but sound cool as overdrive and if not I could use it with a mixer for tape delay
Quote by fly135

Don't be dense, they're right next to the paper-wound transistors...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ near the stack of snake oil drop inductors
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.