Poll: Which Design is Best?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Design is Best?
Option 1
0 0%
Option 2
0 0%
Option 3
2 100%
Option 4
0 0%
Option 5
0 0%
Voters: 2.
Hey everyone,

So I've got this project going for my previously Epiphone SG Special.
Now, it's becoming more of a custom SG, and little about it will be of Epiphonic origin soon!

A few days ago, I installed a new neck on the thing, with a Gibson-styled headstock. I installed some locking Gotoh Kluson/Keystone style tuners, some decals, Graphtech Tusq XL nut, and SG truss rod cover. All went smoothly, but I decided to take the guitar into a shop for a pro setup.

Now, I'm planning to do a few more modifications to make this a great guitar. I just want to try to get some feedback on what I should do, and I've come up with some ideas that I have successfully rendered onto an image of the guitar.

First, here's the original guitar:

Here are the options:

Option 1: Fishman Fluence classic humbuckers, and Les Paul brushed aluminum pickguard (on each option). I would add 2 more holes for a standard Gibson knob and switch configuration. Basic.

Option 2: All that, plus a Bigsby B5!

Option 3: The same as the previous option, just a different knob/switch configuration. A bit less crowded. Less traditional, more unique.

Option 4: Same as option 2, but with a cool Jaguar-style switch plate! Matches everything, fits well, and compliments the offset of everything else.

Option 5: Same as the previous option, but with the simpler knob configuration. Makes this a 100% unique guitar. This might just be my favorite option...

So what do you think? I want to hear!

Thanks,
-Josh
I like option 5. But thats gonna be a lot of modding to your guitar and cutting wood out. Me personally i wouldnt.
I'd probs go buy a guitar thats close to how you want it then make the final touches.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Well that's the fun part! Modding the sh*t out of a medium-quality guitar! I'm not gonna do that to anything more expensive, silly!

I seriously don't see the point of buying an even more expensive guitar, to mod. Last time I checked, Gibson or Epiphone have never made a guitar exactly like this one.
If it's just for fun then fair enough. But it's really a waste of money for what is junky beginner guitar. Nor do I like the idea of putting the name 'Gibson' on the headstock when it clearly isn't.

But hey, these kinds of builds are always interesting to follow when it's something totally bizarre being done on cheap guitars.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 7, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
If it's just for fun then fair enough. But it's really a waste of money for what is junky beginner guitar. Nor do I like the idea of putting the name 'Gibson' on the headstock when it clearly isn't.

But hey, these kinds of builds are always interesting to follow when it's something totally bizarre being done on cheap guitars.

I have to strongly disagree with you here. This is NOT a junky beginner guitar! Especially after I'm done with it. The only original thing left on it will be the body itself. And if you really think that wood itself makes all the difference, then I still disagree with you.

Oh, and take a closer look- it does not say Gibson! It says "Jibson". I'm not trying to pass it off as some overpriced Gibson. I'm just trying to make a good guitar look cool. Either way, it sure won't be an Epiphone when I'm done with it, and it's not anymore.

Just got the guitar back from a setup, and I LOVE IT! With a fresh set of pickups and electronics, I have no doubt that this guitar will be very comparable to a Gibson. Just without the extreme price tag.

There's no need to try to put words in my mouth, I just don't like where your build is going. I can understand if you want to add a few niche electronic features, but if the only thing that remains on the original guitar is merely the body, and that the cost of these modifications far exceeds the value of the original guitar, then you may as well have bought an entirely new instrument. This build is a complete waste of time. But it seems I'm not allowed to have that opinion? Okay.
Oh, and take a closer look- it does not say Gibson! It says "Jibson". I'm not trying to pass it off as some overpriced Gibson.

I thought 'Gibson' was what it originally said, but a piece of the sticker fell off!

I'm sorry but with the funky spelling and the style of the font, you're not convincing me that you're not trying to pass it off as a Gibson whatsoever. I hate to be a jerk, but this is an entertaining build for the all the wrong reasons.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 8, 2014,
I wouldn't waist the money, those are extremely cheap guitars. If you just wanted some better tuners and maybe a cheap pickup swap, I'd say go for it. But you want some expensive and extensive mods.

I mean it is your call, but use some common sense and discretion
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Guys, I'm not going to sell the thing anyways. You are completely missing the point. I'm trying to make a boring Epiphone into something cool. You seem to have trouble with that.

There is no guitar that I can just go out and buy like what I have planned. If I was doing very standard mods, then sure, I'd rather go out and buy a guitar. But these are not standard!

Snape, I don't need you dissing everything about my build. Go ahead and hate on creativity. And it's too bad you hate to be a jerk, because it seems to be what you do best.
Quote by JoshHPMusic
Guys, I'm not going to sell the thing anyways. You are completely missing the point. I'm trying to make a boring Epiphone into something cool. You seem to have trouble with that.

There is no guitar that I can just go out and buy like what I have planned. If I was doing very standard mods, then sure, I'd rather go out and buy a guitar. But these are not standard!

Snape, I don't need you dissing everything about my build. Go ahead and hate on creativity. And it's too bad you hate to be a jerk, because it seems to be what you do best.

Not hating at all, just making sure you realize it will not be cheap. But if you realize this then by all means do the mods you want. you may want to look here for parts because it will be cheaper for you www.guitarfetish.com they even have a very nice Bigsby style trem for much cheaper.

Good luck and post some updates when you get going
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Not hating at all, just making sure you realize it will not be cheap. But if you realize this then by all means do the mods you want. you may want to look here for parts because it will be cheaper for you www.guitarfetish.com they even have a very nice Bigsby style trem for much cheaper.

Good luck and post some updates when you get going

Oh, yeah sure. I know. But I'm trying to save some. Believe it or not, the new neck was $30 off ebay, from China... and it plays better than the Epiphone neck! And I think I got a good deal on those locking Gotohs too. Saved the most by DIYing!
Well unfortunately, I can't edit the poll, but I'm adding a few options...

Option 6: Upper toggle switch

Option 7: +Bigsby

Option 8: Jag plate, no Bigsby.

And the toggle switch plate will actually be engraved metal.

I'm starting to question the Bigsby, since my main axe already has a nice Wilkinson trem...