Was wondering if anyone could help me pin down what's wrong with my (Taiwanese) HM-2 pedal. Basically, when it's plugged in there's loud background hissing/humming noise and the tone is weak, barely distorted and flat. It has worked a few times since I've had it, seemingly randomly, the last time was when I plugged the input in and suddenly I get the big heavy tone I want, then when I stomp the pedal off then on again it's back to the shitty humming noise. That's happened a couple of times. I've tried it with a 9v battery (no difference) and ordered a different adaptor in the hopes that will help, but I'm feeling like it's a problem with the input jack.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

P.S I can post photos if needed.
Probably dirty jack(s).

Use contact cleaner on an instrument cable to clean it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Probably dirty jack(s).

Use contact cleaner on an instrument cable to clean it.

They do look pretty brown/rust coloured. I'll try to find something to hand to clean them with.
Use contact cleaner, like Deoxit for example. Not sure what stores or chains you have across the pond, but an electrical hardware store like Radioshack should have it or a generic.

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cleaning-Solution-Spray/dp/B0002BBV4G
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by oliwilton
Would WD-40 work?

No. (Well, technically it will, but you'll end up with a big mess!)

Or you could leave it alone, Broken HM-2 is best HM-2...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I caaan't. It sounds awful atm, and the fact that I've heard what it CAN sound like.. I've tried to give it a clean but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Hm.
Ahaa. After about half an hour of scrubbing and cleaning with WD-40 it seems to be working! My room stinks, but I got a decent Swedish DM sound. Thanks guys.
You could try pure 100% alcohol cleaner or electronics cleaning solution (specialized). Radio Shack sell "Tuner Cleaner" which is great, electronics and computer stores should use carry similar stuff. If in a huge bing I've used vodka or wife's cologne but under extreme conditions. You could also have a loose part that needs soldering, most likely a connector or battery terminal.