Hey guys, so I recently sold off my amps in the process of totally rebuilding my guitar rig. I'm eyeing two amps on my local CL right now. A mesa boogie subway rocket (1x10/20W) and a carvin xt112. There's more positive feedback on the mesa online, but I'm drawn to the adjustable wattage and on board graphic EQ on the carvin... I play mostly 90's-modern alt-rock and indie, but I'm not afraid to turn the gain up. Help mehhhh plz.
What's your budget, where do you live and what do you want to sound like?
Be specific - bands, songs...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
About $500. I've been listening to a lot of Radiohead, Pavement, and Built to Spill lately. I want something with good cleans and a solid low gain sound.
^ I would not get a tubemeister.
Sounds pretty brittle and harsh from the speaker out, sounds even worse from the emulated line out.
I also don't like H&K marketing policies - the tubemeister series mostly uses solid state components where tube amps use tubes.

On the other hand I'm with 311 in thinking the first one looks reeeally interesting.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
The Soldano/Yamaha is a great amp, see if you can get them to come down on the price a little. There is a studio in my area that has the head version and it ends up finding its way on most of the harder recordings they do.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Tubemeister 18 combo with the 10 inch speaker has a problem with the reverb if you turn it up too high. Other than that, they sound fantastic. They do have OpAmps in them, but they sound very tubey. Put a set of JJs in them and they scream. I have the 18 and the 36. If you can find another go for it. They are fantastic sounding amps.

Of what's on that list I'd try out theH&K, Mesa Trans, DSL and Jet City though. DSL's are killer.
appreciate all the input on the tubemeister. However, the Soldano/Yamaha is a too big for me needs. I'd rather not get an amp above 30W.
Quote by init24
appreciate all the input on the tubemeister. However, the Soldano/Yamaha is a too big for me needs. I'd rather not get an amp above 30W.

Use the volume knob, I can use a 100 watt head and a 4x12 in a bedroom if it has a master volume.

A 5 watt valve amp will be very loud even for home use
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Also consider a 30w amp running through a 2x12" will not be much louder than a 100w amp running through a 1x12" using speakers of the same sensitivity.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Robbgnarly
Use the volume knob, I can use a 100 watt head and a 4x12 in a bedroom if it has a master volume.

A 5 watt valve amp will be very loud even for home use

OT but....1 tube watt in the bedroom is still pretty loud.
People should stop worrying about watts and focus more on getting the exact tone to suit their play-style.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Those Yamaha T100's are great amps - buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by lemurflames
People should stop worrying about watts and focus more on getting the exact tone to suit their play-style.

This is not bad advice at all. It's actually pretty good.
Marshall DSL40c and a speaker upgrade... 20/40 watts and will cover everything you play.