So I got a '57 Gretsch White Penguin from my grandma, which would be awesome except it's in pretty rough condition, nothing that can't be fixed but I defiantly want to have it restored professionally. I live in NJ and I want to take it (or send it) somewhere they will do a really good job, does anybody know where I can get this thing restored to it's original glory also how much do you think it would cost (I'm estimating between $5,000-$7,000)
Thanks
Quote by kadeemhunt
So I got a '57 Gretsch White Penguin from my grandma, which would be awesome except it's in pretty rough condition, nothing that can't be fixed but I defiantly want to have it restored professionally. I live in NJ and I want to take it (or send it) somewhere they will do a really good job, does anybody know where I can get this thing restored to it's original glory also how much do you think it would cost (I'm estimating between $5,000-$7,000)
Thanks

Send photos to Gary Brawer in San Francisco. The "upstairs boys" do some pretty nice resto work. Might also send it to Greg at BCR.

I think you've overestimated the cost of restoration, though.
thank god because i don't have that kind of money lol, I'm just a poor college student.
The cost of restoration will vary dramatically based on how well the original guitar was made and how much wear it has. Old Gretsch guitars are hit-or-miss; yours might be incredible or it might be a clunker, so play it for a while to be sure you want to commit to a restoration. Since you’re a student on a budget you might be better off waiting until you have more money, too.

Being in NJ is a plus because you have access to everything from Craigslist basement techs to the best luthiers in Manhattan. All you have to do is drive around NJ and New York getting estimates.
You will want to have professional advice, restoring it might actually lower the value. The advice from the other thread you started was probably the best on that one. Check with Gruhn in Nashville.
this might make some people cringe but I'm more interested in making it look nice/making it last longer because I have 0 want to sell this guitar. I'd like to keep it in the family it was my great uncle's