Hey guys im nick, and im new here.
Been playing for 5 years.
I play thrash metal, heavy metal, hard rock, classic rock, Chicago blues, delta blues, etc...
I have a 1997 korean epiphone les paul, epiphone tremolo (bigsby replica), gibson 490r in the neck, dimarzio super distortion in the bridge, 500k pots, and a brand new jack.
that guitar is my go to for any kind of music.

NOW the question: I want a new guitar

There are only two in mind:

GODIN RED LINE 1 IN RED: This would be my shredding guitar

CHAPMAN ML-1 IN ASH: Idk why I just love the quality of this guitar, and the vibe of it.

IN TERMS OF OVERALL QUALITY AND A GREAT DEAL, WHICH IS BETTER?

Thanks,
Nick
UPDATE:
Thor option is a GIBSON SGJ 2014: I've always wanted a gibson. How is the sgj?
I'd go with the Redline, but to be honest, I don't know the Chapmans at all. Still, that Godins are made in Canada and their QC is so consistent goes a long way in my book.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ngav3
UPDATE:

go try one. seriously go play a few. i will echo that godin has a good rep, however i think i may have seen one or two ever and didn't play either.

the other brand, i haven't heard of (odd, but i am not surprised)

and the Gibson. go try one.

give a list of two pros and cons for each of the guitars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ngav3
UPDATE:

"Thor option?" Which is going to be hammered, you or the guitar?

I personally think that Gibson's "J" series stands for "Junque", but there are owners who are delighted with them. I think it's the cheapest possible way for Gibson to crank out a guitar that still looks like the decent ones. At the price they're asking it's a very ratty production guitar, and pretty much any Korean guitar over $230 is better quality. Gibson Marketing is calling it "stripped down and bling-free hard core rock and roll blah blah." They've essentially eliminated anything that would require labor. YOU could do a better job with a second hand SAGA kit. Except that you wouldn't have the Gibson logo.
Quote by dspellman
"Thor option?" Which is going to be hammered, you or the guitar?

I personally think that Gibson's "J" series stands for "Junque", but there are owners who are delighted with them. I think it's the cheapest possible way for Gibson to crank out a guitar that still looks like the decent ones. At the price they're asking it's a very ratty production guitar, and pretty much any Korean guitar over $230 is better quality. Gibson Marketing is calling it "stripped down and bling-free hard core rock and roll blah blah." They've essentially eliminated anything that would require labor. YOU could do a better job with a second hand SAGA kit. Except that you wouldn't have the Gibson logo.

Thor was a typo for their lol.
yea that's what I heard. I think that im not even going to consider one
Quote by trashedlostfdup
go try one. seriously go play a few. i will echo that godin has a good rep, however i think i may have seen one or two ever and didn't play either.

the other brand, i haven't heard of (odd, but i am not surprised)

and the Gibson. go try one.

give a list of two pros and cons for each of the guitars.

Godin: pro: craftsmanship, hardware, and for me, the simplicity of it. Con: lacks a true heavy sound, but I can compensate. And it has a shorter scale length.

Chapman: pro: craftmanship, reliability. Con: pickups are a new design that havent been reliability rested, volume and tone pots are of average quality.
Quote by ngav3
Thor was a typo for their lol.
yea that's what I heard. I think that im not even going to consider one

*third
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'd go . H with the Redline, but to be honest, I don't know the Chapmans at all. Still, that Godins are made in Canada and their QC is so consistent goes a long way in my book.

Go look at my link for the chapman. They are made in the UK so qc is good for both
I know they're a UK company, I just have no direct experience with them.

However, ask around UG, and you'll see Rod Chapman's guitar line is still pretty new, and he himself has sort of a grey reputation. He's a good player and he explains things well, but for some around here, he comes across as a guy willing to say anything to sell product.

So I don't recommend Chapman guitars, and neither do I denigrate them- wait until an actual Chapman owner chimes in.

Godin, OTOH, has decades of quality manufacture behind them, and most of their production has been out of just a couple of facilities.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by ngav3
Go look at my link for the chapman. They are made in the UK so qc is good for both

Chapmans are made in Korea, Same factory as the PRS SE's IIRC

Godin's are made like 3 hours away form me so most stores have a few. Every godin I've tried has been great except maybe 2 (that was more due to personal preferences with the way the store set it up.)

The SGJ's and The LPJ's i've tried have been all over the place, There has been a few that I absolutely could not put down, had a nice feel and sound, but theres been many a more that feel and sound like a cheep guitar. so definitely try those out before buying.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by boblittle
Chapmans are made in Korea, Same factory as the PRS SE's IIRC

To be clear and to avoid creating misconceptions- there's absolutely nothing intrinsically wrong with guitars coming out of South Korea, ngav3.

In fact, most major guitar builders have the bulk of their production runs made in Korea. Some highly regarded small companies as well. Very good guitars come out of there. I have several.

Mexican made guitars are likewise usually a safe buy. And some guitars coming out of Indonesia- Swing, Radix, and the new Dean Zelinsky Private Label stuff, for example- are comperable to good Mexican and Korean guitars, too. G&L's fairly well regarded Tribute line of guitars has had manufacturing operations set up in Korea and Indonesia at different points in time.

However, guitars actually made in the USA, Japan, UK, and certain countries in Europe tend to have better reputations than their brand mates due to a variable combination of factors including better parts, better QC, and sometimes being handmade.

Quote by ngav3
Go look at my link for the chapman. They are made in the UK

no they're not, made in korea, i think.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
World Musical Instruments Co. in Korea.

Pretty sure both of my seven strings come from that factory, and they are killer. They seem to know how to build a guitar.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Quote by ngav3
OK so to answer the question

Godin or Chapman?

Compare the features of the two models you want and then decide which one is more appropriate for you. I'm not going to pick for you.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Godin, definitely the Godin...or maybe the Chapman...
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Godin, definitely the Godin...or maybe the Chapman...

I think ill go with thr Godin.

Now the amp: orange micro terror with a 1x8 cab, or a Roland cube 20w.
Looking for a kickass sound, and features aren't a big deal since I have a pedal board. But the roland sounds good too.
Whats ur opinion.
Quote by ngav3
I think ill go with thr Godin.

Now the amp: orange micro terror with a 1x8 cab, or a Roland cube 20w.
Looking for a kickass sound, and features aren't a big deal since I have a pedal board. But the roland sounds good too.
Whats ur opinion.

Can you give us your budget, your favourite bands, and maybe what preferences you have for the amp? And would you be willing to buy used?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by iWACS
Can you give us your budget, your favourite bands, and maybe what preferences you have for the amp? And would you be willing to buy used?

No budget, the first post in the thread shows my bands, preferences are anything that blows the absolute roof off and sounds badass
Quote by ngav3
No budget, the first post in the thread shows my bands, preferences are anything that blows the absolute roof off and sounds badass

If you really have no limit on budget, I don't know why you'd limit yourself to these choices. You really have to be more specific if you want us to help you as best as we can. Your parameters are so broad that we could spend ages recommending gear.
Quote by chrismendiola
If you really have no limit on budget, I don't know why you'd limit yourself to these choices. You really have to be more specific if you want us to help you as best as we can. Your parameters are so broad that we could spend ages recommending gear.

Ok my budget is 350 ish
Orange micro terror with 1x8 cab or 20w roland cube? For rock mostly and metal
peavey vypyr maybe?

do you play more rock or metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks

i haven't tried the vypyr but I think it's the most recommended one for metal

the cubes are nice (again, more for hard rock and metal) but the lower wattage cubes (like the 20W) aren't as good- you have to go up to the 30W (older model) or 40W (newer) versions to get the good amp models. they also may well have been superseded by the vypyrs anyway (as i said, I haven't tried the vypyrs)

depending on how light rock you play the vox valvetronixes might even be worth a look. they're not as good at the metal tones, though. and they may have been superseded by some of the other modellers (like the fender mustang, which i haven't tried ).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
grab the Godin. i have the Godin Passion RG3 and it is amazing. easily the best strat style guitar I've ever played.
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay