Hi,

I'm a beginner guitarist and I need a suggestion on my guitar's upgrade. I have a J&D Les Paul 50 (the cheapest one) and I'm wondering to upgrade the pickups. Does this make necessary to upgrade also other electric stuff (internal cables, switches etc.). I'm looking to buy the James Hetfield pickups. I prefer playing rock and blues but with fatter sound.

Thanks for your attention and help!
If you like the guitar then yes upgrades are fine.

if your in the USA www.guitarfetish.com has a decent, cheap line of pickups. I use the GFS Fat Pat in my old LP copy and it sounds really good. Also it cost $30 new
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd suggest holding off on changing pickups on a cheap guitar for quite a while, especially if you're a beginner. Often pickups will change your sound, but on a "tweak" basis, not as something that automatically gives you "that" sound. The rest of your rig (pedals, amp) usually needs to cover the gross issues first, before you get into pickup refinements.
^ Agreed.

Where are you, though? I'm guessing you're in Europe since Musicstore is one of the big dealers of J&D (I think). There are actually some pretty decent, fairly cheap pickups available these days. I haven't tried them yet, but Entwistle in particular are getting very good reviews (including from people who are familiar with high end handwound stuff). Their humbuckers start at around £15 or so (though the paf types are a bit more).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dspellman
I'd suggest holding off on changing pickups on a cheap guitar for quite a while, especially if you're a beginner. Often pickups will change your sound, but on a "tweak" basis, not as something that automatically gives you "that" sound. The rest of your rig (pedals, amp) usually needs to cover the gross issues first, before you get into pickup refinements.

this all day long......#1 thing that sets your tone is the amp you are using. Best thing you can do is focus on your playing before going down any modding road

What amp are you running into?
Hi,

I have a Marshall MG15-CFX. Also, I'm living in Greece.

My concern is if that J&D LP instrument has some quality on it (I'm not experienced to judge), something that I can rely on and go with an upgrade.

From my small experience with this guitar I'm feeling the strings creaking on playing and while I have my amp on overdrive channel and the pickup volume higher than 3 it fizzes like microphone near to its loudspeaker.

I cannot say that my playing or my hearing is so advanced so to need and upgrade. I'm trying to better understand if I'm dealing with a crap and I'm in the wrong direction or I can continue practicing with it (with the hope that some day achieve a better playing)

Thanks again for your help!
it's hard to say. creaking is often just strings binding in the nut, i.e. nothing really wrong with the guitar. but without seeing it, and never having tried one, normally you don't want to throw too much money at too cheap a guitar, it's a false economy and cheaper in the long run to just buy a better guitar.

but as i said, if pickups are the only problem you can actually get quite nice pickups these days for pretty cheap. which are probably a pretty big upgrade on what you already have.

your amp's not helping either. it's not the (absolute) worst, but it's definitely a limit on how good you can sound, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jhatzics
Hi,

I have a Marshall MG15-CFX. Also, I'm living in Greece.

My concern is if that J&D LP instrument has some quality on it (I'm not experienced to judge), something that I can rely on and go with an upgrade.

From my small experience with this guitar I'm feeling the strings creaking on playing and while I have my amp on overdrive channel and the pickup volume higher than 3 it fizzes like microphone near to its loudspeaker.

I cannot say that my playing or my hearing is so advanced so to need and upgrade. I'm trying to better understand if I'm dealing with a crap and I'm in the wrong direction or I can continue practicing with it (with the hope that some day achieve a better playing)

Thanks again for your help!

ok so get a pencil and rub it across the nut (with the strings out of the slots)....this should help with the "creaking"..as far as fizz goes turn the gain down a little and add a bit of mid range. Also lower the pick ups a little

The most important thing to consider with a guitar is if the neck is comfortable for you, if you like how the neck feels (and if it holds tune well) then the guitar is worth putting a little effort into....but try and dial the amp in to a zone that works for you first, if you can't do that then amp would be first step to look at
In answer to your original question, if you were to change to an emg het set, yes you would have to change the electronics such as the pots and wiring, except for your toggle switch. However, if you buy the set it should come with everything you need. The one positive thing about changing the pickups is in the future when you go to upgrade guitars you can swap the original pickups back in and move your new pickups to another guitar. If your current pickups are feeding back too much they may not be wax potted or your guitar my not have enough sheilding etc.