I'm considering buying a Gibson SG used from guitar center and I was wondering if any of you have bought from them used. The prices seem very low, I'm seeing Gibson SG Standards going for $800 which to me seems kinda low for a guitar that's $1,600 brand new and the SG Special is going for about $450. If you were me, would you buy your guitar used? And does anybody know how good guitarcenter.com's quality is? Also is there a big difference between an SG Special and an SG Standard?
Buying used is smart if you can find what you want. I try to buy used exclusively. I haven't bought used from guitar center but I have seen decent buys at my local Dallas locations. I have however seen in forums where people have ordered used from .com and didn't receive an as described item. I've seen several stories of vastly inaccurate descriptions and failures to disclose issues. This is all hearsay, but reading these posts makes me think twice.

http://www.talkbass.com/threads/buying-used-gear-online-from-guitar-center.1004275/

This is one of several such issues I have seen. Maybe it depends more on what store the item is located in?
Last edited by Starcounter1 at Aug 7, 2014,
I have purchased from GC's used gear selection.

Of all my purchases, only one was problematic, and since they have a good return policy, there were no issues. I brought the item back, and they took it. Instead of a refund, I asked for store credit and bought a pile of pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by NewDayHappy
I'm considering buying a Gibson SG used from guitar center and I was wondering if any of you have bought from them used. The prices seem very low, I'm seeing Gibson SG Standards going for $800 which to me seems kinda low for a guitar that's $1,600 brand new and the SG Special is going for about $450. If you were me, would you buy your guitar used? And does anybody know how good guitarcenter.com's quality is? Also is there a big difference between an SG Special and an SG Standard?

50% is about standard market depreciation on the vast majority of used goods really, especially things that have a social status element associated with them like instruments.

One absolute rule when buying used from anywhere: play it. Whatever it is, play it before you buy. It doesn't matter if you have to go to the seller's place and waste their time; play it first because your money is worth more than 10 minutes of their time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Buying used is always a gamble. But the payoff is huge if it works out.

Always try the guitar before buying it if that option is available to you.

Never be afraid to ask questions, request for more detailed photos if there aren't any in the item listing and cross your fingers.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I buy from guitar center used all the time, many times things are mislabeled, not described correctly etc. But I just have them email me detailed photos and I make up my own mind. If it does get to you and you don't like it for any reason you have 30 days to return it. The only risk you run is maybe the shipping. I have probably bought 20 guitars online from them in the last year, only 2 had issues. One of those I took back to my local guitar center and even got the shipping back, the other they packed like crap and the case got trashed guitar was fine. It was such a good deal it didn't matter and I kept it anyway.

I expect to set up any guitar I buy, new or used, so a if a guitar gets to me that doesn't play right out of the box it doesn't bother me too much. I have had very few over the years that couldn't be set up well.

There can be definite pluses to the guitar center folks not knowing exactly what they are selling...lol....in many cases I prefer it.
Last edited by Fastmerc at Aug 7, 2014,
Thank you very much for all the replies.

I'm selling my Stratocaster tomorrow for $400, so I guess I'm leaning towards buying a used SG Special for $450. That way I only have to spend $50 of my own money. Testing the gear out first is not an option, I don't live anywhere near a GC, but I'm relieved that they have a good return policy.

Thanks again.
Save and get the Standard.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Buying used is always a gamble. But the payoff is huge if it works out.

Yeah I think that's about the crux of it. Some people act like you're silly if you want new- I disagree. But I'd be the first to admit that if you can try it first and determine that the seller probably played the thing once and put it under his/her bed in its case, that you can get a killer deal from going used.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Tom 1.0
Save and get the Standard.

I will admit I like those fret inlays a lot better on the Standard.