Hey guys, Im looking for a new amp head to start playing and giging with. I'm trying to decide between the Jcm 800 2203 or a 900 model but I do not know too much about each other than people seem to hate the 900s. My band mostly plays Modern Pop Punk and so Id love to find an amp with a deep and full sound (Ill leave some examples down below). Any help on choosing which amp would benifit me greatly, or if you know another amp head that would be better suited please let me know down below. Thanks!

Here are some examples of the music we play/sound Im looking for:
1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82vTr8tKrfY

2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGD38lraWM

3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdnS0Bzlke8

4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgHHBR7HT44
Really depends on you, really. The 900s have a reputation for being the pop punk amp, and pretty much every big punk band I've come across has had a 900 somewhere along the line.
but those 800s are sweet.

just a heads up, i've seen many an online post bashing the 900s and the clipping diode comment is sure to come up. point is, just use your ears and don't care what others say. everyone has their own view on what sounds good or bad. If I personally had to choose, I can't say no to a 2203 but I'm still a happy 900 owner.
Thanks for the response man. Do you know if the 2203 can achieve that deep chunky sound that the 900s do pretty easily?
800 is the tits
Godin Passion RG-3
Gibson SG Standard
Egnater Tourmaster 4100
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Marshall JVM215C
JHS Sweet Tea V2
Guyatone WRM5
TC Flashback Delay
You need to look at the JCM2000 DSL100/50. They have a very good clean channel and can get a nice fat crunch. Dave Bakish (Sum41) Used the DSL almost excusively

The 800 is a classic amp, but it doesn't really fit what you need IMO unless you use a boost/TS pedal

The 900 has 3 versions, the 900 Dual Reverb, The SL-X and the Mk III. The DR is the most hated of the bunch, the Mk III is a beefier 800 and the SL-X which is a killer amp. Only issue with the 900's is the Mk II and SL-X are single channel amps so no clean. The 900DR has a clean channel, but the gain isn't the best.

I use a JCM2000 DSL100 and it works fine for punk and metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qO-mSLxih-c

Damn compared to todays pop/punk, they were leagues better.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 7, 2014,
DSL is probably the better amp, although either one of these you get would be perfect. Look into Peavey JSX, Traynor YCS
http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ycs/product/ycs50h/
even a Carvin V3 should serve you well.
Some of these might need a boost like you'd need for the JCM800 to get more saturated drive.
Thanks again for the info guys. If i WERE to get an 800, would an Ibanez tube screamer give it a proper boost?
Yes, but understand the voicing of the JCM800 is more of a hard-rock amp with out it. Just be sure your OK with not having a clean channel.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think id be fine without a clean channel because I dont normally switch channels during shows
Quote by rico921
I think id be fine without a clean channel because I dont normally switch channels during shows

If your fine with that, then the 800 with a boost should work fine

What cab and speakers are you gonna pair with it?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The JCM900 dual reverb, which i had, is a 2 channel amp. personally, i could never get the sound i wanted from the OD channel. it never sounded "full" if you know what i mean.
the clean channel on that amp, with an OD pedal was better. i could get a nice dookie and black flag kind of sound and be happy with it.

a while ago i had the opportunity to play with a 2203 and man, it was what i expected the JCM900
to do all that time.
i ended up trading my 900 for the 2203.

with an OD in front i could play stuff from 80s hardcore to the latest Propagandhi.

i would also suggest to take a look at the Peavey 6505. the crunch channel on that thing
will also do the kind of punk you want, way better than the 900, without an OD.
Last edited by VeilSide at Aug 7, 2014,
Sl/x.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Traynor was a good rec too.

I'd personally look at the YCV50 Blue. I've played it several times now and it has a very satisfactory tone and build quality.

That one is actually based on the JCM800 so it would be a great choice as well.

I have JCM900 and that one on the OD channel with the right push in front, not much mind you, and master volume on over 7 screams. On lower volume settings it is pretty bland.
I've got a 900 dual reverb. Od channel with the gain all the way up and an mxr 10 band eq in the loop makes this amp into a monster. I don't know why it gets so much hate. This is a nice sounding amp.
Pull out the clipper (actually, replace it with a resistor) and it is a fairly nice sounding amp. With it in, not so much. It's gets a lot of hate because of that abortionary clipper circuit - and rightly so. Removing the clipper will actually increase the available distortion and it will be tube distortion, not a ****ing fuzz box. Try it for yourself and see.
If you think an unmodded Dual Reverb with the gain at 10 (oops, I mean 20 ) on channel 2 is good, I weep for you.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 8, 2014,
Here's the schematic: http://drtube.com/schematics/marshall/cd0189-iss7.pdf

See BR2? It and D10 are the problem. They limit how much signal can get into V1. They are a straight up fuzz box. If you remove BR2 and replace it with a resistor it fixes the amp. Vertically on the schematic - so between C36 and ground. I use a 100K resistor but that may be a bit radical for some so try 50K or even a 100K trimpot so you can tweak it.
That will allow V1 to be pushed quite hard indeed and gets you close to SL/X territory.
BR2/D10 is a fuzz box that actually reduces the amount of distortion the amp can produce. How ****ed up is that?

Channel 1 also has clippers (LED 1-4) but they are set up in a tubescreamer type of arrangement so they aren't quite so bad. I don't bother with those.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The story so far uses a mesa dual rectifier and a marshall jcm 900, Neck deep i think uses the same amps maybe a jcm 800 in there. Title Fight tends to be more experimental and uses a whole slew of stuff.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.